What's new

Pastrami or corned beef?

Pastrami or corned beef?

• Pastrami

• Corned Beef

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes please. :drool:
proxy.php

No both? My favorite lunch deli does a double deck. Pastrami in one half, corned beef in the other and smothered like a reuben should be.

Man, that's a tough one.
If you held a gun to my head, I'd go pastrami, but when done right both are heaven. Before I die, I will make a pilgrimage to Katz's in NYC and gorge myself on both.

For a Southern boy, I do know my deli.....

BTW, brisket should be on the list too...:wink:

Attachments

• $katz_pastrami.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Out of the two I'd pick corned beef; I love traditional Irish corned beef (brisket) with veggies too. But of course, above all I'd pick smoked meat; it's practically all there is here.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Corned beef I can make at home. Pastrami apparently requires a trip to Jim's house. :lol:

My sandwich of choice is the Woody Allen, corned beef and pastrami, at the Carnegie.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just please, please, please, don't order it on white bread with mayo! :biggrin:

There is one offense that is even greater than ordering corned beef on white with mayo.

Around ten years ago, The Wine Spectator ran an article about the best corned beef in NYC. They visited the usual haunts, and made this mindboggling observation about Katz's:
Katz's has a separate section for waitress service, for no extra charge, making it a bargain and the way to go when you're there.

Wine reviews aren't the only thing for which the good folks at the Spectator should be shot. You can always recognize the rubes at Katz's- they're the poor slobs sitting in the "waitress service" section. Any self respecting NY'er knows the deal:

Get on line at the counter.
Hand the counterman your slip (if you don't know what this means, you've never been there) with a dollar bill wrapped around it.
Eat the huge hunk of meat stuffed in your face while he completes your twice as large as normal sandwich.
Sit at a table immediately adjacent to the waitress section.
Smirk as the rubes gaze in wonder at how your huge sandwich dwarfs their own, while wondering aloud which tv show they think they saw you on.

And don't forget the Doctor Brown's!

Top Bottom