What's new

Parker Semi Slant

Part of my rotation, likes mid range blades such as Astra, Rapira etc. . Blades that are somewhat dull with other razors work nicely here.

20191209_071721.jpg

1st shave was not very good but after this 3rd shave...all dialed in with the angles...smooth and nick free shave...really enjoyed it.

Just had my first shave with it. Very impressed. Smooth easy 3 pass BBS. The handle is longer than I am used to but it is very well balanced so no issues.

Just tried the semi-slant. First shave with any type of slant razor. Quite the experience.

I found the Parker Semi-Slant to be far more aggressive than any of my non-slant DEs or SEs. The blade feel was on par with a shavette or even a straight, though it was much harder to see the edge due to the huge base plate. I found myself riding the cap to keep it from trying to "catch at" my skin. This was especially the case ATG.

Overall the shave was nice. Very close, with the alum just letting me know that this was not my "normal" razor. But, given that others have said that the Parker Semi-Slant is "mild" for a slant, I doubt I'll ever try a full on slant.

Bottom line: Very efficient razor that produced great results. I doubt I'll buy this or any other slant, but it was fun to use.

Just tried the semi-slant. First shave with any type of slant razor. Quite the experience.

I found the Parker Semi-Slant to be far more aggressive than any of my non-slant DEs or SEs. The blade feel was on par with a shavette or even a straight, though it was much harder to see the edge due to the huge base plate. I found myself riding the cap to keep it from trying to "catch at" my skin. This was especially the case ATG.

Overall the shave was nice. Very close, with the alum just letting me know that this was not my "normal" razor. But, given that others have said that the Parker Semi-Slant is "mild" for a slant, I doubt I'll ever try a full on slant.

Bottom line: Very efficient razor that produced great results. I doubt I'll buy this or any other slant, but it was fun to use.
I love mine. Interesting that you compare the shaving experience to a Shavette. I'm primarily a Shavette user, that's probably why I get on with the SS so well

My Semi Slant has been sitting up on the shelf in full view for quite a while now - next to other favorites such as my Super Adjustable 109, Slim, and a 1940's Model Super Speed. I've been so busy playing with a plethora of Old Types, New LC & SC's, Pre War Techs, Frankenrazors, and such that it just got pushed aside. Well, today was the day. Comparison was vs a Black Handle Super Speed sporting a Voskhod on it's 7th shave; the Parker used a BIC on its' 8th shave.

Both were equivalently smooth. I've dialed in my favorite soaps, and have recently formulated a pre shave blend of Walmart Noxzema clone + Kokum butter + avocado oil + a dab of emulsifier. I never was able to get great shaves on any blade after 4-5 shaves, but with the pre-shave, blade life seems to be significantly extended. I'm again reminded why the Semi Slant is on the shelf, among favorites & not in the tray.

So somehow (no idea really) one of these showed up in time under the tree...we won't ask and she didn't ask either...

First two shaves were very nice, been dealing with some irritation on my neck for a few weeks now. Think I was not paying attention one morning and the dry weather combined to cause some trouble.

Overall I really like this razor, a bit closer shave than my Variant on my typical two pass shave and normally both work very well on my neck to not cause irritation.

This will likely see a few weeks of use before I decide if it will over take my Variant as my daily driver. I've only tried one other slant and it was to aggressive for me, so this is a middle of the road I think. I also as much as I'd like can't use an open comb razor too much blade.

So far this is a great razor and one I'd recommend, if someone can't stomach the price of the Variant this would be my second choice hands down.

Just my thoughts so far...

I shaved with this for the first time yesterday with an Astra SP blade. Pleasantly surprised with a 3 pass bbs that is not bad almost 24 hours later. It gave nice audible feedback, unlike the Merkur 37C slant, but it felt a little rougher on the face than the 37C - yet I had no irritation or redness afterward. I definitely like this razor.

It has an unnecessarily long handle, but that doesn't bother me. Grip is secure.

I shaved with this for the first time yesterday with an Astra SP blade. Pleasantly surprised with a 3 pass bbs that is not bad almost 24 hours later. It gave nice audible feedback, unlike the Merkur 37C slant, but it felt a little rougher on the face than the 37C - yet I had no irritation or redness afterward. I definitely like this razor.

It has an unnecessarily long handle, but that doesn't bother me. Grip is secure.
I have 4 Parker razor's now the SS the A1R and two Shavettes. All are spectacular good value for money. I love them all.

I found it a little more efficient than my 39C, so I tried to measure the angle and found that it has more inclination about 2 degrees more... Granted I don´t used an optical comparator nor a flat camera, but I think it gives the idea... All in all, I use it for 2+ days of shaving stubble...
Anotación 2019-12-16 143638.jpg

Cheers

I found it a little more efficient than my 39C, so I tried to measure the angle and found that it has more inclination about 2 degrees more... Granted I don´t used an optical comparator nor a flat camera, but I think it gives the idea... All in all, I use it for 2+ days of shaving stubble...
View attachment 1064042
Cheers
And the Parker is nearly half the price of the Merkur!

So the bigger the angle lessens the slant?... Doesn't seem logic..
Ok. Here's what the Parker web site says

The Parker “Semi-Slant” double edge safety razor has the advantages of a slant razor (more cutting surface on each whisker due to the blade angle) without the aggressiveness and dramatic blade exposure associated with other slant razors. This razor delivers an incredibly close and comfortable shave.

Yeah, but you have to consider that the 39C is a 2 piece razor, what intrigues me is why name it "semi slant"??
There are other slant designs that use more extreme angle, so that the blade is twisted to the maximum extent. Here is an example of a Fasan "double slant".

fasan-open-comb-double-slant-2.jpg

This razor requires a different technique compared to a conventional DE razor. The handle must be held more or less perpendicular to the floor. In comparison, the Parker (and Merkur 37/39) can be used with the more usual shaving angle.

So, "Semi-Slant" implies you get the benefits of a slant without having to learn how to shave all over again, or cutting yourself to pieces while adjusting to it. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Top Bottom