What's new

Paradigm 17-4 SS razor

That could very well be a touchdown!

Yeah, we don’t know much at all yet about how the razor was produced, threading difference etc. Andrew has admitted to just starting a social media presence.

He does have an Instagram account set up with two posts so far!

I've been drawn to this thread, on account of smelling my piece de resistance, namely, smoooooooothness. Smoothness is the name of my game coupled with enough efficiency.
I'm fond of the Rockwell 6S on account of its smoothness, but sadly plate 6 is not efficeint enough.
The Ikon El-Jefe on a proline P-30 is just about right.
How would this fare with me please?

Last edited:
Looking at the Paradigm 17-4 razor I was contemplating how far head design for modern high end razors has strayed from the 1904 Gillette. Most seem way more influenced by the Merkur or Gillette New Improved. Thinking Paradigm (and ATT) though made me dig out the Apollo, which though it has a very very slight curve to the bottom plate* still has a lot of the same characteristics, the narrow plate, clamped midsection, small cap span,..And maybe that's why it shaves so freaking well.

*Are there performance reasons for a perfectly flat bottom plate (even where the blade floats above) or is that simply easier to machine??

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Lots of great info on this thread. I have the 17-4, as well as the Timeless OC .95, Wolfman WR1 OC with the .74 blade gap, Rockwell 6S (using only the #6 plate) and ATT H2. In my hand, the 17-4 provides a closer, longer lasting shave than the Wolfman and Rockwell (although I enjoy them both). The Timeless is on par, and the ATT is a touch more efficient. The efficiency:aggressiveness ratio of the 17-4, however, is miles ahead of the others on my face.

P.S. That ratio with the 17-4 is higher than any other DE razor I’ve ever used.

Last edited:
Lots of great info on this thread. I have the 17-4, as well as the Timeless OC .95, Wolfman WR1 OC with the .74 blade gap, Rockwell 6S (using only the #6 plate) and ATT H2. In my hand, the 17-4 provides a closer, longer lasting shave than the Wolfman and Rockwell (although I enjoy them both). The Timeless is on par, and the ATT is a touch more efficient. The efficiency:aggressiveness ratio of the 17-4, however, is miles ahead of the others on my face.

P.S. That ratio with the 17-4 is higher than any other DE razor I’ve ever used.

I agree 100%! Closest to having a perfect balance of both efficiency and smoothness of any DE razor i've ever used as well.. and I'm glad I got one of the first generations made with the 17-4 SS as we may never see that again.

I asked Andy if he plans to make a longer handle for the 17-4 SS. He says it is in the works given the demand.

I don't think the 17-4 is completely dead anymore.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I asked Andy if he plans to make a longer handle for the 17-4 SS. He says it is in the works given the demand.

This is good to know. It gives me an excuse to delay the purchase and avoid angering SWMBO - I want to wait until the designs are finalized!

Just looked at the price tag on those, whoo! I think my fiancé would LITERALLY kill me if I spent that much on one razor. They do look very nice though.

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

Just looked at the price tag on those, whoo! I think my fiancé would LITERALLY kill me if I spent that much on one razor. They do look very nice though.

Sent from my SM-S978L using Tapatalk

Nothing to worry about since you actually cannot buy it even if she approved. :D
There's been "out of stock" and "production backlog" note since I first heard about this product.
How many are actually produced, does 17-4 stands for "4 made in 2017" ?? LOL

Until it's available I guess the rest of us will just shave with those that have razors in stock. :D

The problem with the 17-4 was the hardness of the steel. This steel is serious overkill for a razor and more like something you'd use to make a knife or high quality straight razor with. I suspect you'll see the 17-4 made again but with a different material and likely a different name since 17-4 is the version of the steel that was used.

No inside information here, just speculation on my part based on other posts I've read in the past.

I my opinion there is no reason for him to not make more 17-4. When he makes more he will price it accordingly and demand will decide if it’s worth buying or not. I think he would be crazy to not make more. It just won’t be at 230 anymore. I read that it was difficult to machine the 17-4 just like the Grade 5 Ti, so maybe next time they will be 400 instead.

Nothing to worry about since you actually cannot buy it even if she approved. :D
There's been "out of stock" and "production backlog" note since I first heard about this product.
How many are actually produced, does 17-4 stands for "4 made in 2017" ?? LOL

Until it's available I guess the rest of us will just shave with those that have razors in stock. :D

I thought it stood for "17 4 sale showdown".

Well I pulled out my Paradigm 17-4 tonight and put a feather blade in it with 1 shave on it. I continue to be very impressed with this razor. 2 passes WTG and XTG and the wife was WOW that is smooth. I like to alternate my razors but I think this may be the best in my collection

Well I pulled out my Paradigm 17-4 tonight and put a feather blade in it with 1 shave on it. I continue to be very impressed with this razor. 2 passes WTG and XTG and the wife was WOW that is smooth. I like to alternate my razors but I think this may be the best in my collection

I do the same expect I do a WTG and ATG pass. I sometimes need a little touch ups on my neck. It's a really fantastic razor that Andy should continue to manufacture.

I have read so many great things about the Paradigm. I do not want the 17-4 but I would love to find a Ti II for sale. But from what I read the se is coming out next and then I think it is ss in 316 or 303 if I remember correctly. So not looking good for me. Maybe one day.
Happy shaves
SMURF

The first release of the SE will be Titanium, then, according to what Andy had said, it will be released in Aluminum

If I understood correctly, the 17-4 wasn’t just difficult to make it, it broke multiple pieces of machinery. I wouldn’t count on more 17-4 for that reason, but I probably know less than a lot of people in this thread so don’t count on me being right either.

17-4PH (Alloy 630 series) is way overkill for a razor. Though it is excellent for corrosion resistence and temps that reach into the 600's F. But it's mainly used in the petroleum, chemicals and airspace industry. 17-4 has a 17% Chromium content and 4% Nickel content but can vary +/- a percent on both. Also copper is included.

The real thing here is PH or precipitation hardening. The steel is hardened through an aging process of heat treatment. And that's where the dilemma lies in working with 17-4. It's super hard because of the crystalizing properties of the steel as it goes through the heat treatment process.

I work for a metals company as a machinist and cut parts and products for the aerospace division, next to Titanium this alloy is perhaps the most difficult to work with. Cutting tool type or bit, fluting, speeds and cooling are things that have to be considered when working with 17-4. It's not the most ideal stainless to work with especially for razor manufacturing. The tool bits are much smaller and the stresses on that cutting medium are much greater.

In comparison, I cut alloy couplings ranging from 6" to 24" in diameter in varying thicknesses with other things involved that I won't get into. But, the cutting tools or bits I use are mostly between 3/4" to 3" in size. For what Paradigm produced, those tool bits are much smaller, perhaps in the 1/8" to 1/2" range.

No small feat Gentlemen when I tell you that producing the 17-4 Paradigm razor was a major head cracker..... I have a healthy respect for Andy and the shop he used to get it done....

Last edited:
Top Bottom