What's new

Panasonic ARC5 ES-LV65

today i reached an even better results with my ES-LV65s . Shower, breakfast and only then i dry-shaved using the panasonic. This time i have been able to get a real BBS comparable to that i got with my dorco pace 6 /flex5 hybrid. The difference ? This time i used the same beard mapping i used with the multiblades. In 4'45" i had a really perfect shave. and also without irritation: i splashed the usual wilkinson after shave and it didn't sting at all. I think i will rarely use a manual razor again.This electric razor is really a bad boy.

today i reached an even better results with my ES-LV65s . Shower, breakfast and only then i dry-shaved using the panasonic. This time i have been able to get a real BBS comparable to that i got with my dorco pace 6 /flex5 hybrid. The difference ? This time i used the same beard mapping i used with the multiblades. In 4'45" i had a really perfect shave. and also without irritation: i splashed the usual wilkinson after shave and it didn't sting at all. I think i will rarely use a manual razor again.This electric razor is really a bad boy.

Glad to hear how much you are enjoying your shaver. How long have you been using it? I’m of the opinion that it takes some time for your beard and face to become accustomed to the shaver as well as you learning how to get the best shave.

I’be said before on this forum that you have to give an electric shaver at least a couple of weeks to acclimate to the shaver. Let us know if your shaves improve over the next week or so.
of course. I believe at the beginning i wasn't getting the best results because i was just moving it up and down.Then i remembered i always have to apply wet-shaving technique principles even if i'm not using a manual razor and so I reduced the pressure, i started following my beard map (on my chin: west to east (L) east to west (R) ) and Bang! BBS. Especially the beard map issue was decisive. BTW i will receive the lectric shave next week. I'll let you know

I’be said before on this forum that you have to give an electric shaver at least a couple of weeks to acclimate to the shaver. Let us know if your shaves improve over the next week or so.
you are right. today another "normal" dry shave but it seems i have been able to get even a tad closer. i would say it's very close to absolute perfection at least for me. I cannot feel ANYTHING left going WTG and ATG with my palm and for the first time ever even in zones that are "problematic" for me (right jawline and adam apple). It's getting better and better. After my initial "disappoint" it's turning out to be a fantastic shaver:001_cool:💪💪💪

you are right. today another "normal" dry shave but it seems i have been able to get even a tad closer. i would say it's very close to absolute perfection at least for me. I cannot feel ANYTHING left going WTG and ATG with my palm and for the first time ever even in zones that are "problematic" for me (right jawline and adam apple). It's getting better and better. After my initial "disappoint" it's turning out to be a fantastic shaver:001_cool:💪💪💪

Eventually, the shaves will level off and the quality of shave will become the normal shave until the cutters need to be replaced. This may have already occurred or they may improve slightly before becoming normal. Glad to hear how much you are enjoying your shaver.

Eventually, the shaves will level off and the quality of shave will become the normal shave until the cutters need to be replaced. This may have already occurred or they may improve slightly before becoming normal. Glad to hear how much you are enjoying your shaver.
well since i have the arc5 since april 9th i think it will take almost a year to change the shaving heads...

Unless Panasonic has changed their recommendation of changing the cutters and screen every 12 months, you are correct. Regardless of their recommendation, I wouldn’t change them unless the qualifications of your shaves deteriorate.

My experience with Panasonics is that the foils and cutters last quite a long time - even operating at higher speeds (sometimes a couple of years for me) - advertised as stainless steel - where Braun and Norelco seem to need replacement sooner. Shaver head alloys seem to be proprietary secrets, but I believe Braun, at least earlier models, used a nickel alloy, which might account for earlier wear. Any of my electrics have lasted at least a year though, before noticeably degraded performance. Flyboybob is right though, replacement cycle should be based on performance rather than the clock.

My experience with Panasonics is that the foils and cutters last quite a long time - even operating at higher speeds (sometimes a couple of years for me) - advertised as stainless steel - where Braun and Norelco seem to need replacement sooner. Shaver head alloys seem to be proprietary secrets, but I believe Braun, at least earlier models, used a nickel alloy, which might account for earlier wear. Any of my electrics have lasted at least a year though, before noticeably degraded performance. Flyboybob is right though, replacement cycle should be based on performance rather than the clock.

Or the calendar 🤔

The limiting life-cycle factor in most modern electrics seems to be the battery - not the motor or other mechanical parts. And the newest generations of Li-Ion batteries are rated beyond the conventional 3-5 years at 80% capacity - sometimes up to 7-10 years. So as a practical consideration, you can have a new shaver for $50 or so with a head replacement every year, for probably 5 years or more. If you use a shaver less than daily, you can extend that economy accordingly, and I have electrics going on a decade or more now that have essentially cost nothing to operate, except for the occasional use of electricity, still like new. The most important things to extend the life of Li-Ion batteries is never to let them completely discharge, unlike NiCd or NiMH technology, and to regularly partially discharge them (as with routine use), rather than to constantly keep them charged at 100% for long periods of time.

i have seen tutorials on how to change panasonic shavers' batteries. They seem to imply that by doing so you lose the impermeability but i think it's more or less pure bull**** to make you buy a new shaver altogether.

i have seen tutorials on how to change panasonic shavers' batteries. They seem to imply that by doing so you lose the impermeability but i think it's more or less pure bull**** to make you buy a new shaver altogether.

Manufacturers are obviously not going to recommend it - or warranty it (although presumably the warranty would have expired anyway) - but it's probably possible. Given the right parts, tools and expertise. I would guess the battery and internal electronics have a seal of some sort that would need to be replaced - one that would withstand getting wet as well as being impervious to the considerable vibration. And the external case would need to be opened and closed again without damage. I look forward to some member accomplishing this and reporting back in detail. Their choice of shavers. :001_smile

Couldn't really find any tutorials for disassembly of shavers from this century (almost, not quite, kidding) for Braun, Panasonic or Norelco, but some earlier techniques:

Braun Series 7

Panasonic

May not be applicable for today's modern shavers (although the old Braun S7 is still kicking), but obviously anything can be taken apart. The trick being, of course, reassembling in working order. And I don't believe the factory provides any mail-in refurb/battery replacement options, at least among the Big 3. But an interesting question/experiment nonetheless.

Last edited:
ES-LT41 IS from this century. And since it is wet/dry it has to be waterprooof therefore someone surely know how to professionally and safely disassemble an higher end model.

OK, I'll give you this century. :001_smile Both shavers noted are right around a decade old though, which is a virtual century for electric shaver development. Should be similar principles for external construction though, and batteries aren't likely to need replacement until 5 or 10 years old anyway. The current crop of modern shavers will probably see YouTube tutorials in 2030-2040. If YouTube is still around then.... :001_rolle

So, finally yesteday the lectric shave arrived. Yesterday i had to wet-shave with my flex5 hybrid since the aRC5 finally lost his charge (after 18 days..) and i didn't want to wait 10 minutes for a shave then recharging (i prefer a proper 100% recharge at least now that the battery is still new). Ths flex 5 shave was very close but with the usual redness i get from blades.

Today I waited to complete breakfast (my hair seems to get out more for reasons i still don't understand) then i applied the lectric shave, waited for 2 minutes than shaved with the ARC5. I can just say it's exceptional. Maybe the best shave i've ever had. Incredibly close, no irritiation - i splashed my alcoholic after shave and it didn't sting at all- Vote: 10/10 no discussion here. 💪💪💪

Top Bottom