What's new

Panasonic ARC5 ES-LV65

I have been a wet shaver over the last 20 years , using exclusively brushes and soaps (i have collected a lot of them over the years) but with cartridge razors (sorry) because i tried DE shaving and don't like it. Last week I took advantage of an amazon promotion and bought a panasonic arc5. (ES-LV65, the one without the cleaning station). First shave completely dry, i am impressed, almost BBS with no irritation but i already feel a bit of regrowing at 3 pm while i am always BBS till 7-8 pm using my proglide flexball power. What do you think? Will i be able to progress in the closensess department or will i have to settle for a slight inferior shave?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My recommendation is to use William’s ‘Lectric shave. It might get you a bit closer but will improve comfort. Also when I use and electric, never any beard prep involving water or a shower. Wet shaving I do right after a shower. Electric is always before.

The Arc 5 provides about the closest shave of any electric, and will get closer with continued use. So I suppose the answer to your question depends on whether you feel you need to have a BBS smooth face at 8 pm. Personally, I've "settled" for having a shave 90 percent as close as with a DE, in a quarter of the time (even wet with artisan soap and brush), without any risk of cutting myself, that lasts from the morning commute to the evening commute. And if I plan on going to the opera later, a 2 minute touch-up does it. But that's just me.

i developed a terrible burn just a few hours later. The razor is back to amazon for a refund. I will go on with my trusty Fusion (and mach3). Despite all the terrible things i heard last year about Gillette i think they still make the best blades.

If you honk down on a Panasonic razor it will give you razor burn - especially dry. Nature of the beast - thin foils, high speed (14,000 cpm). Panasonic requires a light touch, and as suggested above, probably a pre-shave. And one shave probably isn't indicative. I would guess you haven't' shaved dry with a cartridge or DE. Braun (for a foil) provides a more comfortable shave for most, if you wanted to pursue electric shaving, but any new shaving technique, with any new electric, probably needs about a month for your skin and technique to sort out.

If you honk down on a Panasonic razor it will give you razor burn - especially dry. Nature of the beast - thin foils, high speed (14,000 cpm). Panasonic requires a light touch, and as suggested above, probably a pre-shave. And one shave probably isn't indicative. I would guess you haven't' shaved dry with a cartridge or DE. Braun (for a foil) provides a more comfortable shave for most, if you wanted to pursue electric shaving, but any new shaving technique, with any new electric, probably needs about a month for your skin and technique to sort out.
you may be right but i think i simply cannot get as close as my fusion. And i hate having a 5 o' clock shadow at noon.

you may be right but i think i simply cannot get as close as my fusion. And i hate having a 5 o' clock shadow at noon.

Understood and agree. I switch between DE and electric, and DE certainly provides a closer shave - not as fast, or as uniform, or as comfortable, but closer. I've just found I don't need as close a shave, as frequently, as I once thought. Electric isn't for everyone, nor is traditional wet shaving, but value in both for those who experiment. A place for everyone in the shaving Universe....

I read how close the Panosonic shaves and the technique needed not to get razor burn. I went with the safer Braun Series 9 which is still close but much less concerns with razor burn.

I have been a wet shaver over the last 20 years , using exclusively brushes and soaps (i have collected a lot of them over the years) but with cartridge razors (sorry) because i tried DE shaving and don't like it. Last week I took advantage of an amazon promotion and bought a panasonic arc5. (ES-LV65, the one without the cleaning station). First shave completely dry, i am impressed, almost BBS with no irritation but i already feel a bit of regrowing at 3 pm while i am always BBS till 7-8 pm using my proglide flexball power. What do you think? Will i be able to progress in the closensess department or will i have to settle for a slight inferior shave?

I love my arc5, but no matter what I do, I get quicker regrowth when compared to a DE or catridge.

I use my arc5 mon thru fri. Saturday, I do DE (Gillette Heritage head on a r41 rose gold handle w/Gillette 7 O' Clock green, Russia and Paroso sensitive skin and generic synthetic brush). Sunday, I rest the face.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

Closeness with DE or single edge with a slight risk of nick or razor burn. The electric faster lesser chance of a Nick. Take your pick. The electric will not be as close in my opinon.

Closeness with DE or single edge with a slight risk of nick or razor burn. The electric faster lesser chance of a Nick. Take your pick. The electric will not be as close in my opinon.
yes , definitely less close. Today i used a skinguard cart (2nd shave) and got (incredibly) a bbs in thre passes. Granted, the regrowth is faster than with my proglide but it's miles away from the electric shave! You just cannot beat an actual blade shaving your face.

I also have an arc5 form second generation LV65 and i have to disagree. It cuts me really close and yes the regrowth is a bit faster than my multiblades but you know what? i can shave again in 3 minutes at 6 pm if required. If i tried doing the same with my flex5 i would surely look like Sweeney Todd. So, FOR ME arc5 is a winner.

The operative word is “slight”. Anytime, I had to use an safety razor blade the risk of cutting myself is between moderate to very high. Obviously, you’re going to get a closer shave with a DE or SE blade because the blade is directly in contact with your skin which suffers damage as a result of the the blade removing the top layer of skin. I will take the 3 o’clock shadow any day and do a quick dry electric touch up shave if I’m going out that night.

There is a new model of Arc5 as seen here:

Panasonic Arc 5 Electric Shaver (ES-LV9N) Tested and Reviewed - https://moo.review/panasonic-arc-5-es-lv9n/

I don't think this is available in the US yet, but that ES-LV6N dark blue model looks awsome. I think I'll buy this when it becomes available.

I have the LV9N and 9Q they've been available for some time (third generation, Revision C) globally. There is a new Revision E (replacing Revision D). Panasonic versions are confusing, partly because they historically retain in production virtually all of their previous models. Performance and appearance from Revision C forward are almost identical in every way, except for minor variations in color and accessories, and some external features. I'm not sure anyone would notice the difference in the shave, and in fact the third/fourth gen models aren't that much different in performance from the venerable 65/95 5-blade models.

How about that metal vs plastic shell they describe in that review? I wasn't able to find those new models online.

How about that metal vs plastic shell they describe in that review? I wasn't able to find those new models online.

Pretty good comparison here by Ovidiu on ShaverCheck:

"D" version (pricey):

"E" version (really pricey):

All imports to the US, and these are not necessarily the cheapest sites. Plastic vs metal is more of a cosmetic issue rather than actually functional in practical use, although the newest Pannys are certainly well constructed.

I have the LV9N and 9Q they've been available for some time (third generation, Revision C) globally. There is a new Revision E (replacing Revision D). Panasonic versions are confusing, partly because they historically retain in production virtually all of their previous models. Performance and appearance from Revision C forward are almost identical in every way, except for minor variations in color and accessories, and some external features. I'm not sure anyone would notice the difference in the shave, and in fact the third/fourth gen models aren't that much different in performance from the venerable 65/95 5-blade models.

Before purchasing my Braun 7983s I was using a Panasonic ES8103 for five years. Besides giving me a very close shave daily the original cutters and screens lasted nearly the entire five years. I never noticed any degradation in the closeness of the shaves regardless that Panasonic recommends replacing them annually. I always shaved dry and rinsed out the head weekly with liquid hand soap. The only downside was that Panasonic is very proud of their cutters and screens. Replacement cutters and screens are almost $50 US at Amazon. A new ES8103 shaver was only $69 US also at Amazon. The only problem was that the trimmer stopped working after two or three years. Finally, after over four years the batteries would not hold a charge for the week and the cutters became dull and started pulling on my beard.

Why did I switch to the Braun you might ask? I was walking through Costco last April and they had the model 7983s on sale for $99. I had been using Braun shavers since 1972 or so and decided to give them a try. I had been very pleased with the Panasonic but probably would buy the next lower priced shaver model as I did with the Braun.

Last edited:
Before purchasing my Braun 7983s I was using a Panasonic ES8103 for five years. Besides giving me a very close shave daily the original cutters and screens lasted nearly the entire five years. I never noticed any degradation in the closeness of the shaves regardless that Panasonic recommends replacing them annually. I always shaved dry and rinsed out the head weekly with liquid hand soap. The only downside was that Panasonic is very proud of their cutters and screens. Replacement cutters and screens were almost $50 US. A new ES8103 shaver was only $69 US. The only problem was that the trimmer stopped working after two or three years. Finally, after over four years the batteries would not hold a charge for the week and the cutters became dull and started pulling on my beard.

Why did I switch to the Braun you might ask? I was walking through Costco last April and they had the model 7983s on sale for $99. I had been using Braun shavers since 1972 or so and decided to give them a try. I had been very pleased with the Panasonic but probably would buy the next lower priced shaver model as I did with the Braun.

Braun is usually more reasonably priced (and available), and arguably more comfortable (to me, and many others by report). I've used almost every version since the 1990s, and currently use the vintage S7 and the most recent S7 and S9 - the most comfortable electrics I've used. Pannys by most measures provide a closer shave (does for me), but at the expense of razor burn if not gently handled (thinner foils, higher cpm). And since I use a cleaning station, I also favor the Braun over the Panasonic, but either brand offers top tier foil shavers and unexcelled shaves with an electric.

Top Bottom