What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I just received mine today as well. I'm gonna hold off until next week to start. I'll let you all know how I feel about it. One thing for sure, it's pretty to look at.

Had my first shave with this razor this morning. I'm on the fence about it. The shave wasn't as good as I hoped, but I may have to adjust my technique. Either that or replace the Shark blade with a Feather and try again. It just didn't seem like I was getting as close a shave as I do with my Merkur 38C. I'll give it a week to see if anything changes. You can't really make a determination based on one shave

Shave number 2 in the books. I am even less impressed than I was yesterday. I think I'm going to put this one on shelf until I get some feather blades. The shave I got this morning after 3 passes and a touch up was terrible. I've gotten better shaves out of disposables. Frustrated 😠

Most of the above is on target. While I love the extra lather the DOC leaves on the face, I ended up just sticking it in my razor rack as a display piece because of its unique look. If the OP is looking for a mild razor that shaves really, really well, he should try a New, an ATT M2, or if money is a consideration, a Parker 24/26c.

Shave number 2 in the books. I am even less impressed than I was yesterday. I think I'm going to put this one on shelf until I get some feather blades. The shave I got this morning after 3 passes and a touch up was terrible. I've gotten better shaves out of disposables. Frustrated 
Sorry to hear its not working for you. I found a Shave King in the wild, and had no idea what it was at the time. I used it 4 times, 3 were with a Feather every time I did 3 passes, and each time I would have had a better shave from 1 pass with a Tech. When I first heard about these I really hoped they were going to bump the aggression up a little. If they would have based it on a LC NEW and just added the slits it would be a pretty cool razor. As others have said shims my help.

These things really do have a cult following, and I'm still interested in what the average guy thinks of them.
Thank you for posting.

Shave number 2 in the books. I am even less impressed than I was yesterday. I think I'm going to put this one on shelf until I get some feather blades. The shave I got this morning after 3 passes and a touch up was terrible. I've gotten better shaves out of disposables. Frustrated 

Had my DOC shave #2 as well last night when I'd have more time to work with it. Used a shim under my go-to Gillette 7 Yellow and only got a marginally better performance. Took my time with it, but ended up with too many passes and a mediocre at best shave.
Bummed. I enjoy the feel of the comb cap on my face and the extra lather residual, really dig the looks too, but this might be one that just isn't going to play nice for me.

I received a PAA Gondolier 3.0 8oz tin and aftershave in a trade recently. Although the aftershave is absolutely magnificent in both face feel and scent, the soap is less than desirable. The soap smells like vegetable oil, can barely detect any of the scents described on the website and definitely nothing like the awesome scent of the aftershave splash. It it defenitely doesnt lather anything like 1.0 or 2.0. Can anyone share there experiences with PAA 3.0 soap?

I'm thinking of ordering from PAA and Stirling for myself and a friend and was wondering which of the aftershave/colognes have you all tried? I'm not only looking for a great scent, but also longevity of scent and a bit of projection. A high WTOQ (women turn on quotient) would be nice, too. It doesn't have to be an aphrodisiac, but one that would get recurring compliments would be nice.

The current PAA as/colognes that I'm considering are Al-Fin, Chocolate Bourbon, Sandalwood and Cavendish.

I'm also thinking of purchasing Stirling's Executive Man for the Aventus scent. Looking at their site, the Black Cherry, Coconut Lime, Sharp Dressed Man, Stirling Spice, and Sandalwood options also sound very appealing. I'm listing many of these so I can remember what samples to order.

I'm looking more for powerful, long lasting scents rather than the "facial conditioning" many discuss in their reviews.
For that, I have my Thayers Witch Hazel and Nivea aftershave balm. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind the extra soothing ingredients as long as they don't reduce the longevity and projection of the scent.

Does anyone know if the longevity/projection of the scent is affected if the "add menthol" option is chosen? Menthol is one added ingredient I don't mind!

I'm a fan of PAA aftershave/colognes. Cavendish is my strongest and longest lasting aftershave (out of 60+), and has a sweet cavendish tobacco scent. I don't know how old you are, but women of a certain age may think it smells like Dad, if Dad was a pipe smoker. I suspect you're younger than that, and all she'll smell is an awesome, attractive scent.

Al Fin is my strongest menthol aftershave, and I never tire of it. The scent is not strong to my nose, but the menthol feel is inspiring on a warm morning as I stroll to my commuter train...

I've never tried Stirling.

I'm a fan of PAA aftershave/colognes. Cavendish is my strongest and longest lasting aftershave (out of 60+), and has a sweet cavendish tobacco scent. I don't know how old you are, but women of a certain age may think it smells like Dad, if Dad was a pipe smoker. I suspect you're younger than that, and all she'll smell is an awesome, attractive scent.

Al Fin is my strongest menthol aftershave, and I never tire of it. The scent is not strong to my nose, but the menthol feel is inspiring on a warm morning as I stroll to my commuter train...

I've never tried Stirling.

How young can I be if I'm a fan of Clubman Special Reserve?:lol: To give you an idea of my age, I started shaving a few years before Gillette released the Atra twin blade razor!

I first heard about Al-Fin from Nickshaves' video. He describes Al-Fin as a very strong smelling scent that lasts all day and gets him compliment. See if you agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking for more of a long lasting scent, why not go with a fragrance (cologne, edt, edp) instead?

The only PAA scent I've tried is the beach, but I've tried a few Stirling scents. My wife's favorites are Moutain Man (based on Creed Silver Mountain Water) and Executive Man (based on Creed Aventus)

If you're looking for more of a long lasting scent, why not go with a fragrance (cologne, edt, edp) instead?

The only PAA scent I've tried is the beach, but I've tried a few Stirling scents. My wife's favorites are Moutain Man (based on Creed Silver Mountain Water) and Executive Man (based on Creed Aventus)

I've been on a cologne and edt buying binge recently. but the stuff I really want is close to $100 a bottle, if not more when you buy from department stores. I've been buying from the discounters like Fragrancenet but you're usually going to get bottles that are 1 to 2 years old as they're returned to the distributors from department stores.

I've found that most colognes and edt's I buy just don't have the staying power that the fragrances I purchased back in the 1980's and 1990's had. Many have been reformulated or sold to a company like EA Fragrances. I've also been told that certain ingredients that were used decades ago aren't allowed by the FDA anymore, and that's affected the formulas.

I thought I would go with the longer lasting aftershaves because many rave about the scents, some are based on famous colognes, and of course, they're more affordable.

I've recently purchased some stuff that I enjoyed decades ago like Azzaro Pour Homme, Grey Flannel (AS & cologne set) and Halston Catalyst. I also bought a Le Male AS and cologne discount (all from the discounters) as well as a Cuba Gold gift set. Cuba Gold smells very much like Le Male.

How long does the Executive Man scent last? I'm not willing to shell out $200 or more for a bottle of Creed Aventus, and those that sell "splits" don't indicate whether they're buying from a dept. store or a discounter, nor do I see the batch codes listed which would allow the purchaser to check the production date. That's why I'd rather try Executive Man or Fine Platinum. At those prices, I wouldn't mind reapplying a few times a day. The middle and base notes might not be the same, but at least the main scent is there.

PAA makes some awesome aftershaves/colognes. I own Sandalwood, Sangre De Drago, Enigma, and Cavendish. Onje thing I can say about PAA's fragrances is that they are spot on to their description and last a real long time. Great face feel along with protection. I'm a die hard customer.

I've been on a cologne and edt buying binge recently. but the stuff I really want is close to $100 a bottle, if not more when you buy from department stores. I've been buying from the discounters like Fragrancenet but you're usually going to get bottles that are 1 to 2 years old as they're returned to the distributors from department stores.

I've found that most colognes and edt's I buy just don't have the staying power that the fragrances I purchased back in the 1980's and 1990's had. Many have been reformulated or sold to a company like EA Fragrances. I've also been told that certain ingredients that were used decades ago aren't allowed by the FDA anymore, and that's affected the formulas.

I thought I would go with the longer lasting aftershaves because many rave about the scents, some are based on famous colognes, and of course, they're more affordable.

I've recently purchased some stuff that I enjoyed decades ago like Azzaro Pour Homme, Grey Flannel (AS & cologne set) and Halston Catalyst. I also bought a Le Male AS and cologne discount (all from the discounters) as well as a Cuba Gold gift set. Cuba Gold smells very much like Le Male.

How long does the Executive Man scent last? I'm not willing to shell out $200 or more for a bottle of Creed Aventus, and those that sell "splits" don't indicate whether they're buying from a dept. store or a discounter, nor do I see the batch codes listed which would allow the purchaser to check the production date. That's why I'd rather try Executive Man or Fine Platinum. At those prices, I wouldn't mind reapplying a few times a day. The middle and base notes might not be the same, but at least the main scent is there.
In my experience Fine Platinum last all day. Stirling Executive man lasts about 5 hours. Both are great.

I forgot Gondolier. Out of the ones I own, I'd say Sangre De Drago (Oud and Sandalwood) and Cavendish lasts the longest. Really, all of the above mentioned you can still smell after 8 hrs. For the price, hard to beat.

Stirling Barbershop and Glastonbury are both great and the scent lingers all day. I also really like the Stirling grapefruit but the scent does not last long.

Stirling Barbershop and Glastonbury are both great and the scent lingers all day. I also really like the Stirling grapefruit but the scent does not last long.

I just had to look up Glastonbury to read what that smells like. The image of what used to be passed around liberally at rock concerts in the seventies immediately came to mind. According to the Stirling site, Glastonbury IS based on the concert site:

Based on a customer request and inspired by a music festival in the UK, this is a spa-like blend of Patchouli, Lavender, Oakmoss, Lichen, Frankincense, and Vetiver. A gloriously earthy scent. For those who don’t mind Patchouli, this soap will put you in the middle of a field with a soft, grassy breeze blowing while Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page engage in an epic guitar battle in the background. Grab a blanket, have a seat on the ground, and enjoy the ride. (Essential Oil)

It's currently out of stock. I wonder if anyone has ever produced a cologne or aftershave based on that pungent aroma we all knew so well from attending big rock shows back in the day.

Top Bottom