What's new

Oxblood/Cognac boots

I really like this style and color but I don't know how versatile they would be in a work environment. With that somewhat loud color would they work with a pair of dress slacks and a button down shirt? Maybe a sport coat? Screenshot_20190817-192055_Chrome.jpg

I wouldn't consider that a loud color. They look attractive and versatile. I've never tried Thursday Boots and can't comment on the quality but $200 sounds on the low end for goodyear welted boots.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They work with just about any colour pants or suit other than black. Don't wear them to interviews, court, or funerals. Otherwise they are fine.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Look beautiful to me. I guess it depends on the type of work they will be exposed to as far as how they hold up.

I have a similar boot that is a much cheaper one that always draws compliments when I wear them, even in jeans.

Thank you for the replies. Being in construction for years I never had to worry about dressing like a gentleman or any of the nuances involved in proper attire. All of this feedback helps me out. Thanks.

FarmerTan

Thank you for the replies. Being in construction for years I never had to worry about dressing like a gentleman or any of the nuances involved in proper attire. All of this feedback helps me out. Thanks.
Now all you have to do is figure out who on here gives crappy advice!

Wintips are a classic style. Your trousers should cover the high-tops so no one will know you are wearing boots unless you cross your legs.

Some of the world's finest shoes are produced from shell cordovan and are dyed oxblood. However, if you are not satisfied with the original color, you can always alter the color slightly by using brown or black polish.

Then of course, you could always move to Texas where boots are always in style for any occasion. LOL

FarmerTan

It's okay to wear a black suit if you are on a mission from God!

Or your name is Johnny Cash.

I suppose it is okay to wear a black suit if one is on a mission from God, or to, say, conduct a funeral or a wedding. Or to serve a meal in an expensive restaurant. In those instances, I agree with Doc4 that these would not be the best footwear.

And if one is going to eat in a fancy restaurant, I would say start with taking one's hat and sunglasses off, and by feeding oneself, not one's neighbor!

When you say <I don't know how versatile they would be in a work environment>, you mean an office environment, not a construction site, right? :) Re versatile, I am not sure I would want these boots to be my only dress shoes. They are rather distinctive, and I do not think you want it to seems like these are the only shoes you own. For that matter, it is hard on good shoes to wear them two or more days in a row.

Giving crappy advice on B&B since 2009 :),

FarmerTan

I suppose it is okay to wear a black suit if one is on a mission from God, or to, say, conduct a funeral or a wedding. Or to serve a meal in an expensive restaurant. In those instances, I agree with Doc4 that these would not be the best footwear.

And if one is going to eat in a fancy restaurant, I would say start with taking one's hat and sunglasses off, and by feeding oneself, not one's neighbor!

When you say <I don't know how versatile they would be in a work environment>, you mean an office environment, not a construction site, right? :) Re versatile, I am not sure I would want these boots to be my only dress shoes. They are rather distinctive, and I do not think you want it to seems like these are the only shoes you own. For that matter, it is hard on good shoes to wear them two or more days in a row.

Well, at least you recognized yourself!

Lol, in NO WAY was I referring to you blue brother @The Knize ! I was just rattling a random chain; I sincerely hope that you didn't take offense at my poor attempt at humor, or humour.

I was just in a foul mood because my skinny jeans don't fit anymore!

Dave, believe me I am way too egotistical to think that comment was directed toward me in particular, much less that it would be coming from you. :) I thought your comment was appropriate, funny, and essentially quite true. And I am sure I have provided some bad advice on here, as well as too much advice. Along the lines of often in error never in doubt! I think one has to consider where the advice is coming from in every case. I am pretty much old guy, east coast, out-of-date, non-corporate. What do I know about what 25 year olds are wearing to work at GE in Chicago, much less Google in San Francisco!

FarmerTan

Dave, believe me I am way too egotistical to think that comment was directed toward me in particular, much less that it would be coming from you. :) I thought your comment was appropriate, funny, and essentially quite true. And I am sure I have provided some bad advice on here, as well as too much advice. Along the lines of often in error never in doubt! I think one has to consider where the advice is coming from in every case. I am pretty much old guy, east coast, out-of-date, non-corporate. What do I know about what 25 year olds are wearing to work at GE in Chicago, much less Google in San Francisco!
Same here, except I'm in Michigan. But.... We might be able to offer unsolicited, unwelcome advice to those 25 year old with the best of them!

This makes sense. I have 2 other pair of dress shoes though they are much cheaper than these boots. I am in sales and meet people face to face for appointments. So the folks I would be wearing them in front of would be a one and done kind of thing. I try to stay out of the office only going once a week to pick up supplies and turn in paperwork. As a group we only come together once a year for two days for refresher training so I don't often see coworkers.

Nope, not on a mission from Ghad. I'm partial to browns and greys. I do wear black pants sometimes but I always try to bring in neutral colors. That's kind of why I had the question of the boots being kind of loud. Outside of the norm for me but I found myself rather liking them, at least in the picture. I won't be getting them anytime soon. Probably December and my luck the price will go up by then lol.

What? they're gorgeous. Grab some cojones and to hell with what anyone else thinks. Do you like them? If so then forward march pal.

What? they're gorgeous. Grab some cojones and to hell with what anyone else thinks. Do you like them? If so then forward march pal.
Haha yep I watched a youtube review on Thursday boots. A guy wore em for a year everyday without any care to the boots. Said they were comfortable and held up well. Gonna get em.

Top Bottom