What's new

Overlooked Soaps

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
L’Occitane Cade. One of the few soaps left you can buy &!their brick & mortar by simply walking into the Mall.

A very hard triple milled soap that lasts for ever, gives a great lather and the Light Juniper scent is wonderful. Took 10 years to work thru my first pick of it in a rotation of other soaps and now I am 5 years in on another and can still faintly see the lettering still carved into the soap.

Went to the Dollar Tree website. It appears they no longer carry it. eBay has it for anywhere from $5-$10 per puck. There are a couple other sites that offer it for around the same price. I have a Dollar Tree within walking distance. I would have gladly paid $1.25 to try it out. I’m always looking for a hidden gem. I’ll head over there anyway. Maybe they have some leftover at my store. It was a good suggestion anyway.
Same here have never seen the soap but other shaving products under that name

I have always had good luck with Lakewood soaps from Tennessee, but I don't see them get brought up very often. IMG_20221212_054741789.jpg

This isn't "an overlooked soap" as much as it is an overlooked suggestion for soaps. I have been shocked at how good a recent frankensoap concoction consisting of roughly 1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men+Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh is. While I know that many on here use only artisanal soaps and I also recognize that I haven't tried nearly as many high-end soaps as some of the forum members have, I have been so pleased with this combination that it's all that I have shaved with for several weeks now. So, maybe it's not an overlooked soap, but perhaps it's an overlooked use of what you may already have.

When I started using Arko, it would dry my skin. I cut up 1/4th of a puck of VDH into sticks about 3 x thr diameter of a tooth puck and pressed them into a bowl filled with a stick of Arko. Not only, did it moisturize my skin, but the lather was noticeably slicker. @Lane101 introduced me to a more complex recipe with Dove’s Men’s Care, Ivory and Proraso. That makes it easier to load and even more mosturizing. IMO the simple combination of Arko and VDH Deluxe is already at the supersoap level. It’s amazing how good those products really are.

If VDH added some Tallow and Lanolin to their Deluxe Formulation, it would be an amazing product.

345 Soap Co.

I've only tried one scent (Rhumpkin) and it was awesome! I'll have to try some of their other scents. The lather was really terrific and you get 5.8oz so it's a generous amount. The ingredients list is all great stuff

Deus Vult base Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Milks of Donkey, Camel, & Goat, Shea butter, Coconut oil, Palm oil, Potassium hydroxide, Distilled water, Castor oil, Sodium hydroxide, Glycerin, Grapeseed oil, Cocoa butter, Yogurt, Lanolin, Jojoba oil, Capuaca butter, Murumuru butter, Kokum butter, Panthenol, Allantoin, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein, Fragrance.

When I started using Arko, it would dry my skin. I cut up 1/4th of a puck of VDH into sticks about 3 x thr diameter of a tooth puck and pressed them into a bowl filled with a stick of Arko. Not only, did it moisturize my skin, but the lather was noticeably slicker. @Lane101 introduced me to a more complex recipe with Dove’s Men’s Care, Ivory and Proraso. That makes it easier to load and even more mosturizing. IMO the simple combination of Arko and VDH Deluxe is already at the supersoap level. It’s amazing how good those products really are.

If VDH added some Tallow and Lanolin to their Deluxe Formulation, it would be an amazing product.
Yes, the slickness and scent of my VDH/Arko/Dove Men Care frankensoap is unparalleled by any other soap that I have tried. The post-shave feel is very good, but not the absolute best. But overall, I could use this for the rest of my life and be happy with it.

Yes, the slickness and scent of my VDH/Arko/Dove Men Care frankensoap is unparalleled by any other soap that I have tried. The post-shave feel is very good, but not the absolute best. But overall, I could use this for the rest of my life and be happy with it.
Tallow or non-tallow? (I see they have both in unscented variety, which I prefer.)
Another vote for Sudsy Soapery. Very reasonably priced considering perfomance, ingredients and after shave skin feel. I like both the tallow and non-tallow formulas

One other soap that is somewhat overlooked is Pre de Provence. I have the less popular Bergamot and Thyme scent, but the scent is excellent and for me the performance is that of a top tier soap- better than the performance of most Artisan soaps. I bought my puck with a discount for about $10, but the price has gone up to a little less than $20. You get 150 grams of a quad milled puck, so it will last a long time.

Top Bottom