What's new

Overlooked Soaps

I'm going to be less specific and just say soaps that cost more than $20-25 per puck. There's a lot of folk that overlook them simply because they perceive them as too expensive. But if you look at cost per shave, particularly with the hard soaps, the difference between them and more inexpensive soaps is much less significant.

And I want to be clear that I'm not saying a soap is good just because it costs more. But there are treasures to be found if you're willing to explore that territory.

I'm going to be less specific and just say soaps that cost more than $20-25 per puck. There's a lot of folk that overlook them simply because they perceive them as too expensive. But if you look at cost per shave, particularly with the hard soaps, the difference between them and more inexpensive soaps is much less significant.

And I want to be clear that I'm not saying a soap is good just because it costs more. But there are treasures to be found if you're willing to explore that territory.

Part of my interest in buying or sampling shaving soaps is finding new hidden treasures, even if it's just new to me.

Haryali.

Needed to fill an order at the "big river" website and took a gamble on the Haryali shave soap. Have to say, that it is a pretty good soap! IMO equal to MWF.
Rich lather and slick.

I was shaving with Catie’s Bubbles soaps this week. I don’t see them mentioned much these days.

Regular Catie's Bubbles?
1683889411895.png

Or their Premium soap?
1683889585666.png

Ones that I have had good performance with that I do not see regular mention of:

Clubman
Pinnacle Grooming

Since Arko is already metinoned I can add;

- Haslinger
- PAA
- Speick Stick
- La Toja Stick
All 3 non-bolded above are used rather widely from forum brethren. I have only not used Haslinger from this list.
PAA has a solid following here as well, their CK6 is fantastic. However, the owner is a bit of a polarizing figure that some people choose to shy away from.

This isn't "an overlooked soap" as much as it is an overlooked suggestion for soaps. I have been shocked at how good a recent frankensoap concoction consisting of roughly 1/3 each of Arko, VDH Luxury, and Dove Men+Care 3 in 1 Extra Fresh is. While I know that many on here use only artisanal soaps and I also recognize that I haven't tried nearly as many high-end soaps as some of the forum members have, I have been so pleased with this combination that it's all that I have shaved with for several weeks now. So, maybe it's not an overlooked soap, but perhaps it's an overlooked use of what you may already have.

Clubman :001_wub:
Clubman_2023-01-07.jpg

If you're a "load from the tub" person (like me), the small 2oz tubs can be a pain (unless you're using a tiny brush, like the 14mm knot one above).

But repotting is easy peasy and quick with the assistance of a teaspoon and butter knife:
Clubman-Shave-Soap-repot_2023-03-19.jpg

If you're interested, I was so impressed that I started a thread on it HERE.

Top Bottom