What's new

OUMO Brush Experience - Badger & Synthetic

@Timeclo I have shd knots set at 48mm up to 52mm that are all great. I do have a apshaveco gelousy 28mm that is set at 54mm but it is a bulb and for me that makes a difference. The apshaveco gelousy is awesome by the way.
Happy shaves
Smurf
Thanks! I've heard that the gelousy knots gel up like no other. I feel like my SHD knots gel up a lot so I don't know if I can handle gelous knots. I'm planning to set couple knots today around 50mm. more to follow...

My recent creation with the Rudy Vey "Big Ivory" handle and Oumo 26mm SHD HM knot.

I cleaned it and hand lathered with it yesterday. So far, it's feeling nice and dense. It's got very soft tips, high density, low scrub, and Mid-high Backbone. It's also set at 50mm so it's blooming a lot less than my CrvShv brush.

I think it'll enjoy it for tomorrow!

IMG_20191120_220510904_2.jpg

SOTD - 22 NOV 2019

SOTD 1122019.jpg

The Brush felt pretty good on the face. The knot is probably the softest badger I've ever used. That's good in a sense where I don't have any discomfort but it has minimal scrub. I would like a bit of scrub to my lathering but that's just my personal preference. Now the density is over the top. As a SHD, it really shines in that area. It feels like a firm ball against the face and has mid-high backbone. It can sometimes feel pressuring against the face but I think as I use it more, it'll open up and be more natural during lathering. More to follow but great shave overall and the brush still looks amazing!

SOTD - 25 NOV 2019

SOTD 11252019.jpg

Great shave once again. The brush felt similar to last time. Soft tips with solid backbone. It feels like the firm ball against the face and it does a good job lathering. It's not much of a lather hog compared to the higher lofted knot. It release the lather fairly well but still holds a bit of it in the end. SHDs can break in a bit so I'll continue to use this brush to break in the knot in. I definitely enjoy a regular density brush but I think SHDs can be a good change of pace for the shave.

@Timeclo I have shd knots set at 48mm up to 52mm that are all great. I do have a apshaveco gelousy 28mm that is set at 54mm but it is a bulb and for me that makes a difference. The apshaveco gelousy is awesome by the way.
Happy shaves
Smurf

The AP Gelousy knot is made by Oumo and also sold as the Oumo Hook knot for buyers outside the US/Canada.

The AP Gelousy knot is made by Oumo and also sold as the Oumo Hook knot for buyers outside the US/Canada.
That is correct sir. People in the USA will pay over double if they buy the hooks from oumo because apshaveco payed to have it exclusively in the USA and Canada. Apshaveco now has the 26mm in stock. I think I am going to get a 26mm bulb.
Happy shaves
Smurf

A little late SOTD - 27 NOV 2019

SOTD 11272019.jpg

This brush is WhippedDog tall handle w/ Oumo 24mm SHD WT knot. A simple and basic beauty.

Going in detail about the WT knot. It's quite an enjoyable one.

The bristles are not uniform like Handmaster/Manchuria knots. There are mixed bristles with the bleached ones. It seems like a mix between Finest, Best, and pure. In terms of %, I'd say something like 70% finest, 20%best, 10% pure, guesstimating from my eyes.

The feel of this knot is really nice. I prefer a bit of scrub to my shaves so this is perfect. Soft tips when painting and scrubby feel while splaying. I have it set at 53mm loft so it's a bit on the taller side. Still, the mixed bristles give for a good scrub while maintaining the softness.

The density of this knot is the same as others in my eyes. I have the tri-fecta of Manchuria, Handmaster, and WT, and they share a similar density. A slight difference but all relatively the same.

The value of this knot is great. It's the cheapest out of the three and really performs well for its value. I'm contemplating getting couple more of WT knots to reknot couple handles and for future cases.

Overall, this is one of the best badger knots for the value. I do enjoy the softness of the Manchuria and Handmaster but if I want a bit of a scrub, I'd go for WT. This might not be for daily shaving as my sensitive skin can get irritation but for couple times a week shaver, this would be perfect.

Those look great. I have the top two and am very interested in the manchuria. How would you compare it to the other two? I know it is a shorter knot to begin with.
Thank you.
Happy Thanksgiving
SMURF

The knot doesn't seem shorter to me, they are all about the same. The difference between Manchuria and Hook is that you can feel the soft individual tips with the Manchuria, whereas with the Hook it's just like a very soft scraper that you drag across your face, you will not feel any scritch at all there.

Just got my two Oumo brushes in the mail. Not impressed with the packaging. The brushes were wrapped in bubble wrap, and the address sticker put directly onto it, and shipped like that.

Well, it got here and in one piece, but the packaging could have been better.

Just got my two Oumo brushes in the mail. Not impressed with the packaging. The brushes were wrapped in bubble wrap, and the address sticker put directly onto it, and shipped like that.

Well, it got here and in one piece, but the packaging could have been better.
Strange, mine shipped in a proper brush container, with the brush wrapped inside in a cotton cloth.

oum.JPG

Strange, mine shipped in a proper brush container, with the brush wrapped inside in a cotton cloth.

View attachment 1039054
Okay, so I needed to be clearer. I ordered two brushes, and they are each in the containers you have shown. They are side-by-side and wrapped together in bubble wrap. Then clear packing tape is wrapped around multiple times to seal it, with the label underneath. It works. It is protected. But ... just not great.

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

I do appreciate that the listed value is $3.50, presumably to do a brother a favor if it gets held up at Customs. :)

Okay, so I needed to be clearer. I ordered two brushes, and they are each in the containers you have shown. They are side-by-side and wrapped together in bubble wrap. Then clear packing tape is wrapped around multiple times to seal it, with the label underneath. It works. It is protected. But ... just not great.

View attachment 1039066View attachment 1039067

I do appreciate that the listed value is $3.50, presumably to do a brother a favor if it gets held up at Customs. :)
Hmm. That's odd. I always got a box wrapped with bubble wraps, not just the wraps itself. They must have ran out of boxes or something.

I ordered 2 Oumo knots on Nov 2. They appear to be stuck in China, according to tracking. I have opened a dispute.

Anybody else having problems?

I ordered 2 Oumo knots on Nov 2. They appear to be stuck in China, according to tracking. I have opened a dispute.

Anybody else having problems?
I know my knots took a while and almost didn't get them due to customs. It took about a month but I did get it in the end. Opening the dispute is probably the safe way to approach it. If you don't get the knots then ask for refund. But couple of the shipments that I ordered arrived safely so it might be just taking its sweet old time.

A little late SOTD - 27 NOV 2019

View attachment 1038958

This brush is WhippedDog tall handle w/ Oumo 24mm SHD WT knot. A simple and basic beauty.

Going in detail about the WT knot. It's quite an enjoyable one.

The bristles are not uniform like Handmaster/Manchuria knots. There are mixed bristles with the bleached ones. It seems like a mix between Finest, Best, and pure. In terms of %, I'd say something like 70% finest, 20%best, 10% pure, guesstimating from my eyes.

The feel of this knot is really nice. I prefer a bit of scrub to my shaves so this is perfect. Soft tips when painting and scrubby feel while splaying. I have it set at 53mm loft so it's a bit on the taller side. Still, the mixed bristles give for a good scrub while maintaining the softness.

The density of this knot is the same as others in my eyes. I have the tri-fecta of Manchuria, Handmaster, and WT, and they share a similar density. A slight difference but all relatively the same.

The value of this knot is great. It's the cheapest out of the three and really performs well for its value. I'm contemplating getting couple more of WT knots to reknot couple handles and for future cases.

Overall, this is one of the best badger knots for the value. I do enjoy the softness of the Manchuria and Handmaster but if I want a bit of a scrub, I'd go for WT. This might not be for daily shaving as my sensitive skin can get irritation but for couple times a week shaver, this would be perfect.
Tim what does the 'WT' mean in the knot name?

Top Bottom