What's new

OUMO Brush Experience - Badger & Synthetic

I learned a valuable lesson on brush hydration after my two most recent shaves with the Manchurian: don't shake out all the water before loading! When I first started wet shaving, I took the warnings of "start with a damp brush" too literally and shook out almost all of the water before loading. This never really came back to bite me since my three other brushes are not punishing at all on dryish loads. The Manchurian however does not face lather well when all the water is shaken out because I was essentially loading dry soap instead of lather/paste onto the bristles. Maybe this is because it's a fan knot instead of a bulb knot and the extra flop/splay in it allows more water to fall out of the knot. Point being on my most recent shave, I only squeezed out water from the knot and did not shake at all. The results were great; around 23 or 24 swirls gave me a pasty load that I face lathered into 3 passes plus touch ups worth of lather. I'm sure all of this is very obvious to almost everyone except me, but I thought I'd leave this note here for anyone else as naive as I am/was that is struggling with their face lathers when using these SHD knots.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Finally set the HMW Silk knot into the brush at 50mm loft.

View attachment 1208769 View attachment 1208770

It's got a big bloom as expected. Upon lathering, it seems like a big latherhog and absorbs a ton of water. Best if you load heavy with this knot because it can take some soap. On the hand, it feels really dense and soft. It has thin bristles so it splays easily but because of its density, it holds the splay shape at 30-40% without going all the way to the base of the knot. I'll be face lathering with this later on but so far, I'm liking it. It'll be a pain to clean up because of its density but that's just something I'll have to deal with.

Here's a lather shot with Stirling Barbershop :)

View attachment 1208771
Now i want ice cream:)

I learned a valuable lesson on brush hydration after my two most recent shaves with the Manchurian: don't shake out all the water before loading! When I first started wet shaving, I took the warnings of "start with a damp brush" too literally and shook out almost all of the water before loading. This never really came back to bite me since my three other brushes are not punishing at all on dryish loads. The Manchurian however does not face lather well when all the water is shaken out because I was essentially loading dry soap instead of lather/paste onto the bristles. Maybe this is because it's a fan knot instead of a bulb knot and the extra flop/splay in it allows more water to fall out of the knot. Point being on my most recent shave, I only squeezed out water from the knot and did not shake at all. The results were great; around 23 or 24 swirls gave me a pasty load that I face lathered into 3 passes plus touch ups worth of lather. I'm sure all of this is very obvious to almost everyone except me, but I thought I'd leave this note here for anyone else as naive as I am/was that is struggling with their face lathers when using these SHD knots.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I agree with you there. Loading dry makes it harder to pick up the soaps, especially with natural hair brushes. The extra moisture on the bristles will help dissolve the soap and mix it in well into a creamy lather. You don't want it too wet but the extra bit of water is crucial when I load.

Some of you might be interested in Oumo's new G5 synthetic, just got one in 28mm size. Their materials are really high quality, this brush looks almost if not identical to Simpson's Chubby 2 and Omega Evo. Brush holds ton of water, tips when wet are silky.
Now for the bad.. It's the biggest/widest and yet the lowest(loft) brush from my collection. I ordered two separate knots and handles and asked them to glue it.
Haven't tried the Manchurian yet, but it looks OK, despite some glue stains!
But the synthetic.. it is unsplayable unless you put considerable amount of force to it.
Knot diameter at the hole opening: 30mm | hair loft 47mm
If you're mostly face lathering my advice is to skip it. There's a chance that setting a loft higher using spacers would make a day-night difference(hair length is 62mm).
So either skip it or make sure to set the knot yourself. The characteristics seem decent, flow through might not be the best due to density though.
Oumo's products, materials seem of great quality, but they don't seem to know what they're doing from my perspective. Also make sure to be very specific, they lack at communication.
IMG_20210601_134220.jpg

Some of you might be interested in Oumo's new G5 synthetic, just got one in 28mm size. Their materials are really high quality, this brush looks almost if not identical to Simpson's Chubby 2 and Omega Evo. Brush holds ton of water, tips when wet are silky.
Now for the bad.. It's the biggest/widest and yet the lowest(loft) brush from my collection. I ordered two separate knots and handles and asked them to glue it.
But the synthetic.. it is unsplayable unless you put considerable amount of force to it.
If you're mostly face lathering my advice is to skip it. There's a chance that setting a loft higher using spacers would make a day-night difference(hair length is 62mm).
So either skip it or make sure to set the knot yourself. The characteristics seem decent, flow through might not be the best due to density though.
Oumo's products, materials seem of great quality, but they don't seem to know what they're doing from my perspective. Also make sure to be very specific, they lack at communication.
View attachment 1275866
A comparison with Dscosmetic 26mm T4(loft at 55-56mm).
2nd brush I got is 28mm Manchuria Chubby(Dscosmetic 26mm Manchuria on the left), this thing is massive:) I would definitely get some more knots from them, but set them myself next time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_113557.jpg
    IMG_20210602_113557.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210601_151326.jpg
    IMG_20210601_151326.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210601_151354.jpg
    IMG_20210601_151354.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 46
View attachment 1275866
Thanks for the heads up! It seems like they were going for more backbone type of synthetic which can be risky. I'm definitely skipping the G5.

Top Bottom