What's new

Oscar Noms

When you think about what Barbie could have been, cheap, stupid, obvious….and look at what it is, smart, sly and subtle hiding in bright colors and glitz, that takes a lot of work. Gerwig should have that acknowledged with a nomination. Is her work better than Scorsese, Nolan or nominees for more serious films? Maybe not, but credit where credit is due. That movie could have been a technicolor train wreck…but it wasn’t. Far from it, and it was accessible to everyone.
I like the way you think. I do think Barbie is a great movie, if not a such a serious film.

<Is her work better than Scorsese>

Overall, no. Is Barbie better than Killers of the Flower Moon? To me it is. Killers is far from Scorsese's best work.

Well, I thought this year's crop was pretty darn good. I have yet to see Zone of Interest, but have seen the other Best Picture nominees. Several really stand out to me as outstanding movies: American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, The Holdovers, and Poor Things. The others, though not my personal favorites, had much good about them. My wife and I started dating a little over 40 years ago with lots of movies, especially arthouse and classics. We still try to stay on top of awards season.

Top Bottom