What's new

Opinions on Ethos?

Great protection and rinses clean, like a Martin de Candre, but still has post-shave protection??????

Of the soaps I have evaluated, some soaps do rinse clean, but they leave nothing behind that contributes to post-shave moisturizing and skin conditioning. Thus, to me, those claims are mutually exclusive.

I have heard good things about Ethos Grooming Essentials shaving soap with EOS and I was planning to purchase a tub in the next few months for evaluation. I have a very large collection of soaps and I want to make sure it includes all the top soaps. However, your comments have confused me to the point I now question whether I should go through with the purchase of Ethos. Please explain your comments in more detail so I can make an informed decision.

To me a top tier soap is one that will give a great shave with zero irritation and leave my face feeling soft, supple, and moist after the shave and continue doing so for a minimum of 16 hours. If Ethos cannot do that, I would be wasting my money; I have eighteen soaps in my den that meet those criteria and another 24 that come close. None of those soaps are as expensive as Ethos. There are many soaps that others consider top-tier that do not come anywhere close to meeting my personal criteria.
Hi RayClem, I've noticed the same thing regarding residual slickness and rinsing ease over the past year as my shaving soap menu expanded. Soaps with more residual slickness do take a little more effort to fully rinse off.

Regarding your criteria for top tier shaving soaps to provide the benefits of a quality moisturizing cream what are the types of ingredients added to your soaps that typically provide these benefits? Couldn't one achieve the same result from most soaps just by using a moisturizing cream post-shave? Recall some posts from fellow B&Bers who solve any skin dryness issues this way.

Hi RayClem, I've noticed the same thing regarding residual slickness and rinsing ease over the past year as my shaving soap menu expanded. Soaps with more residual slickness do take a little more effort to fully rinse off.

Regarding your criteria for top tier shaving soaps to provide the benefits of a quality moisturizing cream what are the types of ingredients added to your soaps that typically provide these benefits? Couldn't one achieve the same result from most soaps just by using a moisturizing cream post-shave? Recall some posts from fellow B&Bers who solve any skin dryness issues this way.
MdC for example - I am always have dry skin after I use it. Still it is a fantastic soap, I just need to moisturize after and it stays a top tier soap for me.

Ethos uses the same jar as MdC with an upgraded brushed aluminum lid.

For me there are many “very good” bases, but striking a balance of not being overly processed with synthetic agents, post shave nourishment of skin, cushion and slickness, Ethos stays at the top of my list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom