What's new

Opinions on a gun belt.....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am thinking of purchasing a gun belt with a steel core. Any help in the decision making process would be deeply appreciated. I have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, and the War Department loved the fact that I shot that ground hog the other day ONLY because I was actually carrying a gun, so she has okayed the distribution of funds!

If you don't mind synthetic, I like the Original Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical . You can get it with 3-stitch construction, or stiffer with 5-stitch, or even stiffer with a plastic insert. I have and use both the 5-stitch and plastic insert, and both work very well for every day carry. The belt with the plastic insert takes a little longer to mold to your body shape. I've had both the 5-stitch and plastic insert belts for many years and both are still working as well as the day I bought them.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It depends on what you like. I don't care a whit for the nylon tactical stuff.

And I don't care for inserts...good, thick leather is all you need.

I have had good wear from Beltman. Have one from the original company and one from the new owner. It seems the new one may be a bit, little bit, better than the original company one.

I have used El Paso Saddlery leather for decades and their work and quality is top notch. May be a little pricey for what you want. I'm thinking about getting a carved one to match my holster, mag. pouch, and cuff case for the 1911 so I will have a complete rig. Had the stuff since the '90s.

I also have a gun belt a friend of mine at the P.D. made for me that is a good and thick 1 3/4" one. I think the date he wrote on it with ink pen is '89.

Do you have any saddle shops or leather workers in your area?

The ballistic nylon belts with inserts, and plastic holsters, belong to the combat tupperware crowd.

FarmerTan

It depends on what you like. I don't care a whit for the nylon tactical stuff.

And I don't care for inserts...good, thick leather is all you need.

I have had good wear from Beltman. Have one from the original company and one from the new owner. It seems the new one may be a bit, little bit, better than the original company one.

I have used El Paso Saddlery leather for decades and their work and quality is top notch. May be a little pricey for what you want. I'm thinking about getting a carved one to match my holster, mag. pouch, and cuff case for the 1911 so I will have a complete rig. Had the stuff since the '90s.

I also have a gun belt a friend of mine at the P.D. made for me that is a good and thick 1 3/4" one. I think the date he wrote on it with ink pen is '89.

Do you have any saddle shops or leather workers in your area?

The ballistic nylon belts with inserts, and plastic holsters, belong to the combat tupperware crowd.
I have really been putting off getting a good quality belt. Oh, I have ALWAYS, for years gone with good, 1/4 inch thick LEATHER, and I used to wear the belts that had a brass buckle that a canvas belt slipped through as a kid, and probably through most of high skool, but I obviously didn't have a gun hanging from it, lol.

I have decided to start carrying my Ruger GP100 in .357, just because of the 4 inch barrel, and I'm a better shot with it. Right now it's under my pillow, but I recently bought a new holster for it, a small of the back one that is more of a horizontal cant.

I just thought I'd like a new belt that was two layers of leather, for the thickness, and figured if I was going that route, why not have Kydex or steel between the layers?

I don't KNOW that I'd need the "stiffener" aspect, so I thought I'd ask the brain trust here. Youse guys are truly friends of mine, and I'd like to see what you all think and KNOW of the subject.

To be honest, I'm probably never going to be in the mindset of IWB carry ever again. That sweet little Tagua holster I bought off the 'Bay for my Ruger LCR has proven to be EASILY concealed beneath my choice of dress now: since I'm EASILY mistaken for Tom Selleck I have been wearing Hawaiian shirts all over, lol. Gives the ladies a bit of a thrill you know, to see an old man in a Hawaiian shirt with a pot belly, lol!

In the winter I have some nice heavy wool sports coats that I wear in lieu of a coat since I'd rather be too cold than too hot.

Sorry for the blathering on and on, but I figured it would give you more to go on.

I did have a couple of REALLY cheap click type belts that held up quite nicely when I was working as a community psych nurse, but they were like 1.25 inches wide and maybe an 1/8th of an inch thick. I obviously couldn't wear a gun as a nurse, so it just had to hold up my pants, lol. I mention this because I am not opposed to nylon for use with jeans for a casual look, as long as it will hold my Ruger GP. I'll not compromise my choice of the gun for the day for fashion, if ya get my drift.

Ok. I'll stop, and just wait for the responses to roll in, after I have educated you all in how shtoopid I am.

FarmerTan

I actually like my Nextbelt for EDC. It ratchets in 1/4“ detents and it’s the only belt that cinches as tight as I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just checked out those belts. Tempted. Plenty strong enough? I'm kind of a "belts and suspenders" guy when it comes to my gun. Duh. As I suppose you are as well. I retract the question yer honor!

FarmerTan

If you don't mind synthetic, I like the Original Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical . You can get it with 3-stitch construction, or stiffer with 5-stitch, or even stiffer with a plastic insert. I have and use both the 5-stitch and plastic insert, and both work very well for every day carry. The belt with the plastic insert takes a little longer to mold to your body shape. I've had both the 5-stitch and plastic insert belts for many years and both are still working as well as the day I bought them.
Dude. You guys aren't making it easy! I fear I may now acquire a gun belt "GBAD!"

My wife will hate you all, because I of course will blame it on peer pressure!

Just checked out those belts. Tempted. Plenty strong enough? I'm kind of a "belts and suspenders" guy when it comes to my gun. Duh. As I suppose you are as well. I retract the question yer honor!

Yes. I bought a very nice heavy leather belt with seven 3/4“ spaced notches. It’s still too loose or too tight.

I tried the nylon cobra belts and they’re a hassle to rig or adjust. They don’t thread easily through OWB holsters.

My EDC is a 17 round M&P 4.25“ CORE and the Nextbelt handles it well. I’ve yet to try a 1911 or my 40oz empty Walther Q4 steel frame, but should have no problem. I’m waiting for a holster for the Q4.

With the Nextbelt I’m +/- 1/8“ from a perfect fit. I can let it out easily when I eat...LOL.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm another fan of The Original Instructors Belt 5 stitch variety, but I also like high quality leather gun belts. If properly constructed no inserts are needed. My last leather belt was from Milt Sparks and I've been wearing it for years. Make sure the belt fits the loops or slots of the holster.

FarmerTan

I'm another fan of The Original Instructors Belt 5 stitch variety, but I also like high quality leather gun belts. If properly constructed no inserts are needed. My last leather belt was from Milt Sparks and I've been wearing it for years. Make sure the belt fits the loops or slots of the holster.
Thanks my friend.

Zach's Gun Belts...handmade in Athens, GA by one guy, Zach. I have been wearing his belt(s) for close to a decade now. They look good and work very well. No need for any insert if the leather is a quality bit of hide and properly stitched. Another excellent choice is a Sam Andrews belt; however don't expect it any time soon.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
If you are checking out the Instructors Belt from The Wilderness, also look at the Frequent Flyer. It has a Derlin "buckle" instead of the metal "rescue buckle", but supports a firearm just as well and doesn't try to pull me into the MRI at the hospital!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve been wearing a belt from Thebeltman for 10yrs now and just ordered 2 more because my original was looking pretty tattered. It’s still stiff and still works just has 10yrs of daily wear and tear. I have used it with IWB as well as OWB. My EDC is usually either a steel 1911 or a S&W M&P 9c and it supports them well. Not to mention my wallet, keys, spare mag, knife, and anything else that finds it way into my pockets.

FarmerTan

Okay, I'm "afeared" I may be buying more than one!

Here's my dilemma: sizing. I'd like to be able to do mostly OWB, but some IWB with the belt.

I wear 34" waist. The hole I use is 36" from where the buckle ends to where the hole is.

I just HATE returning things.

Thank you ALL for putting up with me!

Dave

Okay, I'm "afeared" I may be buying more than one!

Here's my dilemma: sizing. I'd like to be able to do mostly OWB, but some IWB with the belt.

I wear 34" waist. The hole I use is 36" from where the buckle ends to where the hole is.

I just HATE returning things.

Thank you ALL for putting up with me!

Dave

Another plus for Nextbelt. One size fits all, because you cut it to exact size. I cut mine a little long and wore it IWB and OWB. I trimmed it afterwards to suit me.

I cannot recommend the magpul belts enough. They have a line called Tejas that are leather with a sturdy polymer backing to give rigidity and hold its shape. I love them and use them as my daily belt with dress clothes at the office.

I used the various nylon and other tactical belts for years as an instructor but for a solid gun belt or a general use pants retainment system the magpul Tejas is the best.

Top Bottom