What's new

OOTD- oolong of the day

Big Red Robe Tribute (whatever that means) that I picked up at The Steeping Room in Austin last summer.

the "tribute" means its moddled off the famous and incredibly rare and expensive da hong pao oolong tea. the reason its so expensive is because there is only 3 trees in existance and are thought to be around 700 years old they grow on the side of a cliff on mount wuyi. the stuff we can get is made from clones of those tree's but diferences are because of location, soil and processing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Hong_Pao for more reading.

89 baozhong from j tea international. Really good stuff and quite different from any other aged baozhong that I have tried. Instead of over ripe fruits it is a more briny seaweed kinda flavor a little strange at first but Very enjoyable.

The "whatever that means" bit was intended to deliver to the reader a sense that the leaves are of uncertain origin and quality.

A tin labeled Chinese Tea Gift was handed down several times, eventually finding it's way onto my desk. Inside were 10 7g vac bags filled will TGY. Now there are 9 bags. I can't imagine that number will decrease again anytime soon.

A tin labeled Chinese Tea Gift was handed down several times, eventually finding it's way onto my desk. Inside were 10 7g vac bags filled will TGY. Now there are 9 bags. I can't imagine that number will decrease again anytime soon.

Ahh...yes, this has happened to me a couple of times with the same result and here is how it ends...the tin sits on your desk for the next 2 or 3 years, still with 9 bags in it. One day you realize you will never drink this tea, and as much as you hate to waste tea, you toss it.

proxy.php

1st 30s: 85c thick sweet light toasted with creamy finish
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd 45s: roasty but i have no idea what else.
proxy.php

proxy.php

3rd 1m: dry ans lightly roasty still scratching my head on the flavor.
proxy.php

proxy.php

4th 1;30 tangy but similar to before.
proxy.php

proxy.php

5th 2m: not much changed
6th 4m: dry but flavor is tapering off.
proxy.php

the leaves are huge!
proxy.php

Last of the Li Shan Cui Luan from Floating Leaves. I'm nearing the bottom of this 2008 Taiwan PinDong Jia-Le-Shui "harbor tea" from HouDe.

Teaurcine tie Luo Han wow this great! if you like a heavily roasted tea for the money it's hard to do better than this. The aftertaste is really quite special. I'll be stocking up on this tea.

muza ti guan yin!
8g (my last 8 grams that is)
85c
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1st infusion 1m: color rosy pink color flavor is lightly roasted and kinda floral on the tongue kinda citris on the sides of the tongue.

proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd infusion 1m: floral and vegetal dry but not astringant.

proxy.php

proxy.php

3rd infusion 1:30: very similar to the previous with more dry and roasty notes.

4th infusion 2m: roasty and kinda citrus? the leaves are still kinda crunchy...

5th infusion 2m: lots of citrus under tongue but sweet arrival.

6th infusion 2.5m roasty minerals aftertaste. and sweet

7th infusion 3m getting weaker time to start upping the time and temp.

8th infusion 5m: sweet with a mineral finish.

9th i forgot to record from here on out got about 12 or so out of it.

Last edited:
well i got the chance to pick up some rather interesting tea that aparently barely makes it out of taiwan. its aparently Bao Zhong stems. and is aparently Really sweet in the pallet. (in my initial under dosed tasting of it i can atest to it being sweet.)
ill either update this post or if its not a double post ill post a big explanation and pictoral on this really interesting tea.

Oolongs from the tea get-together...

Rishi Shanlinxi oolong. Buttery, floral, goes down the throat, good, even if I'm not a sucker for greeny oolongs.
I brewed, badly, some of my Houde 2008 wood roasted Dong Ding. It was okay, if it didn't show much of why I thought it was good.
BBB has this anon bag of "gushu" yancha. I loved it. No real roast taste, it basically tasted like one of those 7-9 grade Lincang shu puerh on top, with a sorta Jin-fo yancha finish, of cake/cookies/sorta? I didn't really like the Red Blossom Jinfo from an earlier get-together, but I really liked this tea. I *think* this has some qi, but I couldn't tell, as this was late in the party.

Top Bottom