What's new

OOTD- oolong of the day

yesterday, finished off '09 Rougui from Houde. Good, not as durable as the aged Shui Xian, but more overtly delicious, with the best part being a deep pervasive cherry taste in the throat in one of the middle brews. No cinnamon.

2011 Spring Alishan from FL -

This is the last bit of this one....and it has been tasty. This will be reordered.

2011 Spring Taiwan Pin-Lin "Shui Xian" Hand-Harvested from Hou De -

The overt florals on this tea have mellowed a bit...giving it a nice rounded flavor profile. Enjoying this one.

Last edited:
2011 Taiwan Wuyi from FL -

Cinnamon hints in the dried and brewed leaf....that actually made it into the tea. An accompanying bit of florals in the finish. Things are looking up for this one.

woo im back with a pic dump..
proxy.php

1st infusion. 85c 2 min: color: pale green aroma: light vegital and toasted bread taste: lightly grassy no astringancy slight tingle
proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd infusion 1:30s color medium pale green taste: astringant grassyness with hints of nuts
proxy.php

proxy.php

3rd infusion 90c 1m color pale green taste: light astringancy and nutty
proxy.php

proxy.php

4th infusion 1:30s nuttyness has dominated.
proxy.php

proxy.php

nice leaves
proxy.php

and my current setup.
proxy.php

yes its a parker 51

Last edited:
well i just had a craving for tea at 2AM so here i am. i dident feel like something that would require much work so i brought out the ol' 250ml yixing and poured in the a-li-shan
proxy.php

had to dig out the old gyoukuro cups (i think thats what they are) to fit the larger volume
proxy.php

nope hasent changed since i last tried it. still ligtly astringant grassy and lightly toasted nuts.
proxy.php

love how every one of them is 2 leaves and a bud.
proxy.php

weh-shan bao-zhong #11-16 formosa
proxy.php

1st 30s 85c: aroma: fruity floral aroma Taste: floral and lightly nutty
proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd 45s: lightly dry floral and nutty
proxy.php

3rd 1m: toasted nuttyness has come to the front
proxy.php

4th 2m: even more pronounced toasted nuts
proxy.php

5th 4m: florals reapear
proxy.php

proxy.php

6th 8m: mostly toasted but weak flavor.
proxy.php

I've been working on the last 2 oz. of last year's Alishan Din Hu from Floating Leaves. A new order has arrived and I need to clear some space.

Wow. I just stumbled on this. For you purists - who also likes the aged Oolong? Just found this at a local tea shop and depending on age/quality it can be pretty amazing! I bought a couple oz of inexpensive 3-5 year and they are trying to get some higher quality.

It's at home so don't have all the info. Where do you guys get your oolong? local or online?

thx!

rob

Wow. I just stumbled on this. For you purists - who also likes the aged Oolong? Just found this at a local tea shop and depending on age/quality it can be pretty amazing! I bought a couple oz of inexpensive 3-5 year and they are trying to get some higher quality.

It's at home so don't have all the info. Where do you guys get your oolong? local or online?

thx!

rob

both theres a nice tea shop a few hours away that have a nice selection of green white oolong black and sometimes yellow. but for pu-erh its basically online only since the shop only has Shu (good shu but im not a fan of shu) in my reviews if you see a bag saying "its about tea" then it was bought locally.

2010 ED Milan Dancong from Jing -

This is quite lovely now. Roast and florals are in perfect harmony with nice mouthfeel. Yum. I see that Jing has done away with their everyday teas which is a shame....perhaps it is represented as Milan Dancong A now.

I've been working on the last 2 oz. of last year's Alishan Din Hu from Floating Leaves. A new order has arrived and I need to clear some space.
I thought that Alishan was pretty tasty from last year. What did you get in your new order?

Winter Farmer's Choice Baozhong
Winter ShanLinXi
Winter Charcoal Roasted ShanLinXi
Winter DaYuLing
and some Silver Needles.

guess you havent seen this in a long time!
proxy.php

proxy.php

ok 1 rinse

1st 10s: toasted oolong flavor no arstingantcy or bitterness very plesant.
proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd 15s: similar to above but the roasting is more promenent.
proxy.php

3rd: 30s suprisingly well mannered given its rep.
proxy.php

proxy.php

4th 40s: tongue is tingling slightly metalic taste.
proxy.php

proxy.php

5th 50s: miniralls are showing through

proxy.php

proxy.php

6th 120: my tounge is shot theres still life in this tea but i cant taste anything any more so ill leave off here and just enjoy it
proxy.php

proxy.php

wen shan bao zhong
proxy.php

1st 30s verry floral no astringancy.
proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd 45s: floral has deminished nutty finish.
proxy.php

proxy.php

3rd 1m: small amounts of roastedness but still floral
proxy.php

proxy.php

4th 1.5m nuttyness becomes the main focus.
proxy.php

5th 2.5m slightly green flavored.
proxy.php

6th 5m lovely nutty and floral finish
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom