What's new

ONEBLADE-RAZOR

That has the sprung head I think. The SE section should give you feedback on that razor.
Thanks, I should have done a search.

This new razor is a nothing burger for me. Any razor that requires a unique blade is done. The concept that the blade is not under radial tension is deal breaker also. I will wait for V3 when they realize there scope of the project was wrong.

Thanks, I should have done a search.

This new razor is a nothing burger for me. Any razor that requires a unique blade is done. The concept that the blade is not under radial tension is deal breaker also. I will wait for V3 when they realize there scope of the project was wrong.

Oneblade made a deal with Feather to be the exclusive distributor of that unique blade in North America. The first version of the razor would also take a GEM blade (with the spine removed). Thereafter the design was changed and the GEM blade no longer fit without further modification.

The Oneblade is well made, looks great in the hand, shaves well enough to impress. The business model causes irritation for some.

I own a OneBlade Genesis (version 2). Personally speaking I do not care that they have an exclusive on the blades. I get 4 good shaves per blade and most of the time I can squeeze five shaves out of one blade. The cost per shave is not a deal breaker for me. I know that for some it's offensive - YMMV. I get great shaves and no irritation. None. I have very sensitive skin and more so now that I am over 70 years of age. Plus, I have a tough beard that is asymmetrical. The quality of the razor is first rate, it feels good to hold and is easy to use. Some people say that it represents "new technology" but I'm not "techno - geek". I just love this razor - one of three different razors I own (the others: Paradigm Titanium SE and Rex Ambassador) because I like to use them and I get great results. Again, YMMV.

Oneblade made a deal with Feather to be the exclusive distributor of that unique blade in North America. The first version of the razor would also take a GEM blade (with the spine removed). Thereafter the design was changed and the GEM blade no longer fit without further modification.

The Oneblade is well made, looks great in the hand, shaves well enough to impress. The business model causes irritation for some.

That would be King C. Gillette's business model, taken up by Enders, Christie, Durham, Auto Strop, Schick/Eversharp, Shake Sharp, and a host of others. The more things change...

I have a OB Core - it's okay. I have loads of Feather FHS10s for use in my Valet razors and can get plenty more if I run out without paying Oneblade's prices so the blade issue isn't a big deal for me. I find the Auto Strop's much more fun to shave with anyway.

The sweet irony of the proprietary blade model is that Auto Strop used it against Gillette and wound up taking over the company.

That would be King C. Gillette's business model, taken up by Enders, Christie, Durham, Auto Strop, Schick/Eversharp, Shake Sharp, and a host of others. The more things change...

I have a OB Core - it's okay. I have loads of Feather FHS10s for use in my Valet razors and can get plenty more if I run out without paying Oneblade's prices so the blade issue isn't a big deal for me. I find the Auto Strop's much more fun to shave with anyway.
Sweet irony indeed. BTW, where do you get your FHS blades?
The sweet irony of the proprietary blade model is that Auto Strop used it against Gillette and wound up taking over the company.

They’re good razors. People seem to enjoy crankily denouncing them.

I will wait for V3 when they realize there scope of the project was wrong.

Kind of a weird thing to say? I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for this outcome.

They’re good razors. People seem to enjoy crankily denouncing them.

Kind of a weird thing to say? I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for this outcome.

I don't think my statement is weird at all. Limiting the design to one high priced blade is equivalent to painting yourself into a corner. That decision put the future success of their razor in someone else’s hands. This sound like a razor blade salesman dream. Create a unique product that eliminates your competition.

I am puzzled by this statement from the OneBlade site:

"When it comes to sharp blades on your face, you don’t want to settle for anything less than the best. We scoured the globe to find the blade that checked all the boxes on a long list of criteria, from material to edge finishing. Once we found the one, Feather FHS-10, the same one used by barbers and surgeons worldwide, we knew we could count on its durability, reliability, and comfort."
Is the FHS-10 blade used by surgeons? I'm not familiar with that application.

I don't think my statement is weird at all. Limiting the design to one high priced blade is equivalent to painting yourself into a corner. That decision put the future success of their razor in someone else’s hands. This sound like a razor blade salesman dream. Create a unique product that eliminates your competition.
It is the other way around. There is no other current razor using the Feather FHS blade, and I seriously don't know why Feather continued production all these years up until the OneBlade was produced. The only other razor that uses the blade is the vintage Valet Autostrops which haven't been made in a century.

Given the fact that OneBlade owns the rights to sell the Feather FHS blade in the USA, they will not slit their own throats (no pun intended).

BTW- the original OneBlade could take an unmodified despined Gem blade, but when folks started doing that, they modified the second version to not take a despined Gem blade unless you notched it.

It is the other way around. There is no other current razor using the Feather FHS blade, and I seriously don't know why Feather continued production all these years up until the OneBlade was produced. The only other razor that uses the blade is the vintage Valet Autostrops which haven't been made in a century.

Given the fact that OneBlade owns the rights to sell the Feather FHS blade in the USA, they will not slit their own throats (no pun intended).

BTW- the original OneBlade could take an unmodified despined Gem blade, but when folks started doing that, they modified the second version to not take a despined Gem blade unless you notched it.

Sometime after Auto Strop faded away after WWII, Feather began producing a Valet knock-off. I don't know how long they made it, but I've seen pics of one that looks like 1960s vintage. It could be that Feather was making a Valet blade clone (there were several; Kai still makes a carbon Valet clone) and wanted to ensure continuation of the demand.

Just as ASR doesn't produce GEM SE blades so a few guys can use their antique razors, I think Feather must have a larger market for which these blades are intended, like laboratory or medical use. If shaving was the only market for the FHS10/Kai BEST, or GEM for that matter, they'd have gone the way of the Dodo ages ago.

I will wait for V3 when they realize there scope of the project was wrong.

To clarify, what was weird was your implication that Oneblade will definitely realise that you are right and that they are wrong, and that this outcome is only a matter of time.

It’s fine to have confidence in your opinion.

It’s strange to assume that your opinion is so obviously correct, that people who encounter it will inevitably adopt it.

Sorry my confidence offends you. I don't think I'll be changing soon.

The market will sort out product design choices. I looks like their design contractor PENSA made a choice that they probably didn't understand.

Top Bottom