What's new

One very aggressive razor- AutoStrop

I recently acquired a lot of AutoStrops and picked one to use.

I've used an AS before, I got my granddads old razor and while I didn't think it was an AS, it most certainly is. It isn't marked as such, but it unmistakably is. It's a good shaver, not too aggressive. A goldilocks razor, just right.

OK, back to the new to me AS. I'm betting this is one AS model that was made early on.

$DSC03294.jpg

It has a comb, but the part of the head is missing that also helps limit blade exposure. The result being, you can have just as aggressive a razor as you wish.

Shaving with this yesterday was, well, near as I can put it, like shaving with a str8, and as close as I'll ever get to a str8. Interesting. Not for a newbie shaver either; it would be a disaster. I found rapidly that the aggressiveness is controlled by angle. It'll shave in a wide range of angles, but the more perpendicular to the face the handle is the more aggressive it is to a point. Neat!

Needless to say, it was a very close shave and a totally different feel to even an OCMM. The Feather blade just added to the experience. I guess it's a safety razor because it limits gashes to less than 1/4" deep. ;-) No, I had no blood, not even a weeper.

I liked it! It's certainly a keeper.

If I did a "traveling AutoStrop" with a mate tot he one pictured would anyone be interested in trying it? After reading this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/207896-PIF-Gem-Micromatic-Travel-Across-The-U.S..

I don't think suppying the razor with more than 10 blades will be required.

Last edited:
It's very easy to modify new single edge blades to fit. I like both of my Valets. They are pretty cool with all the gears, etc.

Yeah, my "dinosaur razors"; from before time began. At least that's how I think of them.

I have a new strop on order, that'll be a kick too. The big question is how long can I use a Feather? Right now I get 2 shaves from one. After the strop, who knows?

they are great arnt they i love mine ill have to order a few feathers

Not all AutoStrops require Feathers. I don't know of any that won't accept them though. If the blade slides in from the side, between two spring leaves, you can modify a SE blade to work. I modified 10 CVS blades in about 15 minutes, it'll be quicker next time since I had to figure out the easiest, quickest , and safest way to do it. I lay the blade on a piece of pine board, uncrimped spine side up, then using a tiny screwdriver pry up one corner of the spine enough so that it's free, then by hand just remove the spine. It removes very easily once one corner is free. Using a long reach vise-grip I then reach diagnally across the blade to the opposite corner and lock it in place. Then put the exposed corner on a surface and press it firmly and rapidly for a clean break. Unlock the V-G and repeat on the opposite corner. Put some electrical tape (it always releases cleanly) on the edge to protect it. I put my modified blades in an empty blade carton, plainly marked. One can also just grab a corner with a plier and snap it off, but I find at the snap sometimes there is too much of a bend remaining. That excess bend with the sharp snapped edge will wear the holder excessively IMO. By locking the V-G against the edge you'll use later, any bend is put into the waste piece and discarded. I suppose one could deburr the snapped area with a Dremel tool.

I hope that makes sense.

Hmm I would like to try shaving with one , one day, never used one.

As long as I know someone wants to try it I'll do it. I'll need to put it together. It'll probably be modeled after the link a few posts above. It'll be a new thread.

I need to make sure the mate to the one pictured is working too. I'll check that right now.

Top Bottom