What's new

One fantastic OC razor.

I have a couple OC DE's which shave very nice. Back in 2011 I bought the Muhle R41 looking for an even better OC shave. The R41 did indeed give a nice, close shave, however no matter how hard I tried, and no matter how light the pressure, I was always left with burn, irritation, and at times a nick or cut. I found myself putting the R41 down for extended periods of time and when I again used the razor I was left with the same results. So for me the R41 was just way too extreme.

I put it on the B/S/T, and a member scooped it up within 3 minutes. Then I was off and clicking around looking for another OC razor. I have the Merkur 1904 OC, and the discontinued HD OC, and I like them both. I was still looking for another OC to replace the R41. I didn't find much to catch my interest, until I clicked on the Italian Barber. There I saw the Fatip OC razor. I liked the look, just the regular length handle model. The also offer the Fatip grande with a longer handle, but I found that handle is hollow. Even with my rather large hands I've always preferred a shorter handle, and the Fatip with the regular handle is a heavy solid handle. I went on the forum and asked members if they had and knowledge of this razor, or if they owned one. I got several replies, some saying it was not as extreme as the R41, but still an unforgiving razor, and a couple replies that the Fatip was a nice shaver. Being impulsive, I ordered one right away as I said the razor caught my eye. I believe the Italian Barber ships from Canada, but 5 days later I had the Fatip. I had a 4 days growth of beard, so I did my usual prep and did my usual shave. To my surprise the shave was really great, smooth and very close without any irritation at all, IMHO the best OC shave I've ever had. The razor handled really nice. The handle while thinner than the one on the HD, was nice and heavy and not slippery at all. I shaved in all directions, WTG, XTG, and ATG, making sure to use no pressure. The shave was great, I'm very pleased with this razor. As I mentioned the handle is heavy, but on the thinner side. Still there were no problems shaving with this razor. Its the same size, overall length and head size as the Merkur HD, but with a price of $22.99 its a really good deal. Even with the shipping its under $30.00. IMHO this is one really fine shaver, and a very nice razor. I've not seen much mention of it here on B&B, but if you're looking for a nice shaving OC razor, be sure to check this one out. AS I mentioned the Fatip gave me the best OC shave I've ever had.

Last edited:
I have a couple OC DE's which shave very nice. Back in 2011 I bought the Muhle R41 looking for an even better OC shave. The R41 did indeed give a nice, close shave, however no matter how hard I tried, and no matter how light the pressure, I was always left with burn, irritation, and at times a nick or cut. I found myself putting the R41 down for extended periods of time and when I again used the razor I was left with the same results. So for me the R41 was just way too extreme.

I put it on the B/S/T, and a member scooped it up within 3 minutes. Then I was off and clicking around looking for another OC razor. I have the Merkur 1904 OC, and the discontinued HD OC, and I like them both. I was still looking for another OC to replace the R41. I didn't find much to catch my interest, until I clicked on the Italian Barber. There I saw the Fatip OC razor. I liked the look, just the regular length handle model. The also offer the Fatip grande with a longer handle, but I found that handle is hollow. Even with my rather large hands I've always preferred a shorter handle, and the Fatip with the regular handle is a heavy solid handle. I went on the forum and asked members if they had and knowledge of this razor, or if they owned one. I got several replies, some saying it was not as extreme as the R41, but still an unforgiving razor, and a couple replies that the Fatip was a nice shaver. Being impulsive, I ordered one right away as I said the razor caught my eye. I believe the Italian Barber ships from Canada, but 5 days later I had the Fatip. I had a 4 days growth of beard, so I did my usual prep and did my usual shave. To my surprise the shave was really great, smooth and very close without any irritation at all, IMHO the best OC shave I've ever had. The razor handled really nice. The handle while thinner than the one on the HD, was nice and heavy and not slippery at all. I shaved in all directions, WTG, XTG, and ATG, making sure to use no pressure. The shave was great, I'm very pleased with this razor. As I mentioned the handle is heavy, but on the thinner side. Still there were no problems shaving with this razor. Its the same size, overall length and head size as the Merkur HD, but with a price of $22.99 its a really good deal. Even with the shipping its under $30.00. IMHO this is one really fine shaver, and a very nice razor. I've not seen much mention of it here on B&B, but if you're looking for a nice shaving OC razor, be sure to check this one out. AS I mentioned the Fatip gave me the best OC shave I've ever had.
It really is a fantastic shaver. I have since bought the 2013 R41 and must admit that I like it better, however the FaTip Grande is still in my rotation.

One thing that I rate the Muhle far and away better though is in the quality. Do you have to fiddle with your to get the blade alignment correct? I'm constantly having to coax mine to get even blade exposure from side to side and to have the blade align correctly with the top cap. Once that occurs, I get great shaves.

I recently got the fatip grande, but still fighting with it...so far, its winning
Hang in there with it. Remember that it is a really aggressive razor. NO pressure at all. For me, I also have to really use a shallow blade angle. May I ask what blade you're using with your FaTip? Sometimes, blade choice is really critical with the aggressive razors.

It really is a fantastic shaver. I have since bought the 2013 R41 and must admit that I like it better, however the FaTip Grande is still in my rotation.

One thing that I rate the Muhle far and away better though is in the quality. Do you have to fiddle with your to get the blade alignment correct? I'm constantly having to coax mine to get even blade exposure from side to side and to have the blade align correctly with the top cap. Once that occurs, I get great shaves.

Hang in there with it. Remember that it is a really aggressive razor. NO pressure at all. For me, I also have to really use a shallow blade angle. May I ask what blade you're using with your FaTip? Sometimes, blade choice is really critical with the aggressive razors.
I am using an astra right now...may try a derby for comparison...but, derbys are not nice to me in my de89

I am using an astra right now...may try a derby for comparison...but, derbys are not nice to me in my de89
There is a school of thought that you should use a less aggressive blade in a very aggressive razor. Not sure that I buy that but blades are the ultimate in YMMV. Your face will tell you what to use in every instance.

I have discovered that sharpness and smoothness are two different things and that just because a blade is sharp does not mean that it is smooth. One blade that is, for me, sharp and smooth and works well in every razor that I own is the Gillette 7:00 Yellow. Those Astras are really fine blades as are Gillette Silver Blues, PolSilvers, and Voskhods.

I only tried a shavette twice, lesson learned. They say the shavettes are the best tools to actually get to know a blade, since you have no safety bar or whatsoever protecting you from the blade.

I believe aggressive razors like the R41, FaTip, and a couple others, are a little bit like shavettes, offering you less protection from the blade, due to blade exposure and gap.
My theory is that this is the reason why aggressive razors are so picky with blades. Because one can actually notice an huge difference between blades, while with milder razors that is not the case, and a wider range of blades seem to perform similarly.

Glad you found a sweet set-up. I like my OC's, but I get better shaves from my safety bars, like the various Super Speeds.

Top Bottom