What's new

One and Only Straight

Dont fool yourself! Razors to men are like marbles and baseball card to a kid.Your going to want them ALL!!!:crazy: And your not going to be able to because I am going to have them all.:devil::c1:

Dont fool yourself! Razors to men are like marbles and baseball card to a kid.Your going to want them ALL!!!:crazy: And your not going to be able to because I am going to have them all.:devil::c1:

Oh heck that is all i need i still have my baseball cards from when i was a kid...And that was a looooooog time ago...:biggrin:

Why would you want to limit yourself? Far more so than safety razors the variety is amazing. Especially with restorations and customization. I would say to keep your eyes out on the BST and SRP Classified and when you see one which speaks to you go for it.

Yeah, I started with a Feather AC a few months ago. I then bought a nice little straight from Leighton here and while not an opening of the flood gates it certainly started a heavy flow. I now have those two, two Dovos, a Wapi, and I just got a DA.

Oh, a strop and chinese 12k hone too.

Bergischer Lowe.
Prima Klang.
I can't speak for the above, but I think he refers to the slightly higher than entry level blades. Some seem to think they are a little bit smoother, or hold a slightly better edge. In any case, he suggested the stainless steel blade, vs another type. Hope this helps!
And indeed all of the stainless steel 5/8 blades are exactly the same blade, only the scales differ.
SOrry, yes, I meant the stainless steel blades and not the entry level Dovos. I should have been more clear! You could, for example, get the Pearlex for MUCH less than the mother of pearl Dovo and will still have the same blade and get the same shave.

Excuse the strong multi quote, but thanks for clearing all this up. I've been using a few off the bst, and wanted to treat myself to a "better" razor when i get through this rough semester up ahead.

I'm using a shumate barber deluxe and a 6/8 extra hollow hamburg ring i picked up off alabamalawyer. Both get smooth edges, close shaves but atg has tugging. Will send them one at a time to get honed (i'm sure my learning to strop is to blame.)

Last edited:
It is impossible to be satisfied one razor! When I was a kid I was addicted to pocket knives and when we got home from holidays I would have 5 or 6 new ones and I would spread them out on my bed and stare at them. I have not changed one little bit! I have a favourite razor every week. Right now it is my Lord 7/8 round point with a thumb notch and last week it was the Filarmonica 14 Especial square point, both of which are spectacular shavers.

It is impossible to be satisfied one razor! When I was a kid I was addicted to pocket knives and when we got home from holidays I would have 5 or 6 new ones and I would spread them out on my bed and stare at them. I have not changed one little bit! I have a favourite razor every week. Right now it is my Lord 7/8 round point with a thumb notch and last week it was the Filarmonica 14 Especial square point, both of which are spectacular shavers.[/QUOTE

you sound like your my twin...lol

Hi,

I moved over from shaving with DEs to straights a couple of months ago.

Resistance is indeed futile !

I now six straights, three strops and three hones !! (A big thank you to 'The Invisible Edge' for his very, very fine service and sage advice).

Just go with the flow; you will really enjoy adding to your razor collection

Best regards

Russ

It is impossible to be satisfied one razor! When I was a kid I was addicted to pocket knives and when we got home from holidays I would have 5 or 6 new ones and I would spread them out on my bed and stare at them. I have not changed one little bit! I have a favourite razor every week. Right now it is my Lord 7/8 round point with a thumb notch and last week it was the Filarmonica 14 Especial square point, both of which are spectacular shavers.

Is that the Lord razor from Turkey via Ebay recently?

I came very close to taking that one! Looks like a LeGrelot, but a full hollow, yes?

I know I'm new here, but FWIW, I tried two hollows before I found and fell in love with the Wapienica. I don't need to keep looking, I've found the one that works. :D

One straight?!? You jest, of course. I'm dangerously close to acquiring my fourth, and I consider myself to be a straight newbie.

If I was to recommend ONE straight for you, it would be a TI Le Grelot quarter grind. Fantastic shaver.

Don

One straight?!? You jest, of course. I'm dangerously close to acquiring my fourth, and I consider myself to be a straight newbie.

If I was to recommend ONE straight for you, it would be a TI Le Grelot quarter grind. Fantastic shaver.

Don

Okay i have been convinced to go to citibank and take a loan out for tons of straights...Wait citibank has no money...only most of our tax dollars so i guess i will have to borrow from Bank America oh heck same problem. Back to hat in hand and a tap dance on a corner i guess...:smile:

New or vintage?
Size of Blade?
Shape of blade?
Weight of Blade?
Type of grinding?
Stainless or carbon steel?
Steel from England, Germany, Sweden, France, Spain, USA?
Type of handle?
Do you want one, a matched pair or a matched weeks set of seven blades?
Handmade or factory?
Which manufacturer?

What was the question again?

Is that the Lord razor from Turkey via Ebay recently?

I came very close to taking that one! Looks like a LeGrelot, but a full hollow, yes?

Yup, that's the one. and yes, full hollow and really mint. I had to spend some considerable time honing out some past bad honing but now it is my new super favourite - it is by far the smoothest shaver I own. The seller was asking $90 and I offered $60 and got it! Me happy!

Three days ago I had my first straight shave with a new Dovo. I immediately began communicating with Glen to hone and rescale my grandfather's Boker. Today I picked up a Kleen Kutter and hope to have it honed and repinned, also by Glen. That reminds me, I need to pull the blades out of DEs. Don't want them to rot from lack of use. There's a Craftsman that's gathering dust in the local antique shop and I may make an offer. Also heading off on a little road trip to help my brother move. Will be actively searching between here and there. One straight huh? It is to laugh.

Top Bottom