What's new

People who shave with a straight - do you maintain your own razor edge?

Do you hone/maintain your razor?

• I hone my own razors from start to finish.

Votes: 68 90.7%
  • I have my razors honed by someone else.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have a finishing stone, but send my razor out when it needs more.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have a pasted strop, but send my razor out. when it needs more.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have everything I need, but I send out problamatic razors.

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
I think the majority of straight razor users hone their own razors. However thought I would throw up a quick poll to see. I think it could be good for anyone looking into straights to see what the majority is doing as well.

Cheers!

I don't think it matters, really.
Everyone should just do what they want without worrying about the popular vote.
Some start out sending out, then wind up honing their own.
Some start out trying to hone but wind up sending out.
Any way someone chooses to go is as good as any other way.

I hone myself from start to finish. Was a nice way to force myself to learn because I wanted to keep using my razors lol. Only recently had a pro hit up one of my blades at a meetup.

I try, and am still learning to hone. I have everything I need, and have actually gotten a few ebay razors to shave as well as those I've sent out or purchased (truly shave ready), though I feel I'm still lacking consistency.

Yep. Self sufficiency is a big part of the draw.
Agreed, fully.

The only time I would be able to put this in practice is during Summer downtime or when the kiddos move on to Uni.
I know it sounds bad, but I'm too damn busy as a fulltime father of teens and managing a team of engineers on the East Coast (US) and on the West here in SoCal and Oregon.

I have 5 currently which are in need of being honed, but my rotation is deep enough that I can extend comfortably beyond 2Y without sacrificing my shave quality. It helps to have a local B&B Honemeister literally one county away when I need to send out.

I don't think it matters, really.
Everyone should just do what they want without worrying about the popular vote.
Some start out sending out, then wind up honing their own.
Some start out trying to hone but wind up sending out.
Any way someone chooses to go is as good as any other way.
Solid perspective

The only time I would be able to put this in practice is during Summer downtime or when the kiddos move on to Uni.
I know it sounds bad, but I'm too damn busy as a fulltime father of teens and managing a team of engineers on the East Coast (US) and on the West here in SoCal and Oregon.

I have 5 currently which are in need of being honed, but my rotation is deep enough that I can extend comfortably beyond 2Y without sacrificing my shave quality. It helps to have a local B&B Honemeister literally one county away when I need to send out.

I hear you! I did not start using and honing straight razors until I got into my 60s. Something to be said for getting a beater razor on eBay and a finishing stone and doing a little honing in between being busy. Will pay off later when you have more time.

I don't particularly like honing, hence the quantity of razors I have accumulated. Upon saying that, once I get into a honing session it is enjoyable. Getting the motivation to start is the hard part.

I typically have four piles, in active use, needs a touch up, needs a full progression and needs a lot of work. Depending on my mood I will tackle either or all of the last three at a time.

I hone all of mine from start to finish. Other than a knife or two when I was 12 years old in Boy Scouts, I had zero sharpening experience until I started with straight razors a couple years ago.

It’s been a fun and rewarding journey as I learned and gained experience. I was convinced that my first couple razors were somehow defective or crazy warped because I couldn’t set a bevel on them for the life of me. It took some practice but eventually I managed some passable edges. Now my edges are 100x better and still improving each time 😁

In my opinion, anyone interested enough to use a straight razor should invest in the stones necessary to keep the blade in top shape. Probably cost a lot less in the long run plus your shave experience will be much better.

Just bought a DOVO Bismarck. While it is a beautiful razor, the factory edge is not up to my standards.

Top Bottom