What's new

One and Only Straight

Quick question I have been using a DE for quite some time and now have an itch to try a straight. Can anyone tell me what is considered the best straight out there. I am trying not to repeat my DE life and own to many straights. So i would like to buy a top shelf one right from the start. Maybe i should say it this way what would you own if you could only own one....
Thanks for any help in advance

Nope.

You're only kidding yourself.

You will indeed own just as many, and most likely more straights than you ever did DEs.

You have been warned.

Funny, I asked the same question when i decided to try straights and i can say that the choices in straights far exceed the choices in DE..

You will enjoy every minute of it..

Ameet

There are a obviously multiple opinions about what the best straight out there is, so I will give you a few that seem to be widely viewed as top-of-the-line.

Dubl Duck Wonderedge
Thiers-Issard LE Hammer Forged
Puma Gold
Upper-line Dovo swith a Full Hollow "Singing" SS Blade
Custom Made Robert Williams Razor

Best of luck in your search!

If you get 100 responses you may get 200 different razors that are someones favorite...

as for me its my only razor...Dovo Renaissance 6/8ths Stainless Full Hollow Round Point.

Its nice

That razor is a good choice for a "one and only"!

Actually decided on it after reading your review...

I want to get another one and rescale them to match so that I have a paired set. I dont have rad or anything like that at all...i dont want to restore or anything so after that Ill be done for quite a while i think. (Now soaps on the otherhand ...)

I love the stainless blade...very easy maintainence

8/8 W&B wedge.

Of course, not for everyone, as big blades are tricky under the nose and all that, but with a Goatee, I can use pretty much anything with little to no concern.

But then again, some people only use full hollow blades.

And then there is the point options. Spike, which is great for detail work(on a goatee) French point, Spanish point, Round point (noob friendly) and Barbers Notch/dreadnought.

Or my personal favorite, the Prince Albert tip.:lol:

There are a obviously multiple opinions about what the best straight out there is, so I will give you a few that seem to be widely viewed as top-of-the-line.

Dubl Duck Wonderedge
Thiers-Issard LE Hammer Forged
Puma Gold
Upper-line Dovo swith a Full Hollow "Singing" SS Blade
Custom Made Robert Williams Razor

Best of luck in your search!

define upper line dovos, from what i've heard a dovo blade is a dovo blade as far as quality goes. scales an decor are what you're paying for. Please enligten my humble noobie ***

define upper line dovos, from what i've heard a dovo blade is a dovo blade as far as quality goes. scales an decor are what you're paying for. Please enligten my humble noobie ***

I can't speak for the above, but I think he refers to the slightly higher than entry level blades. Some seem to think they are a little bit smoother, or hold a slightly better edge. In any case, he suggested the stainless steel blade, vs another type. Hope this helps!

I can't speak for the above, but I think he refers to the slightly higher than entry level blades. Some seem to think they are a little bit smoother, or hold a slightly better edge. In any case, he suggested the stainless steel blade, vs another type. Hope this helps!

And indeed all of the stainless steel 5/8 blades are exactly the same blade, only the scales differ.

Quick question I have been using a DE for quite some time and now have an itch to try a straight. Can anyone tell me what is considered the best straight out there. I am trying not to repeat my DE life and own to many straights. So i would like to buy a top shelf one right from the start. Maybe i should say it this way what would you own if you could only own one....
Thanks for any help in advance

Our GF's and SWMBO's require monogamy, but thankfully our razors don't. I have 10 DE's from my DE days. I have been using straights for 2-3 months (its hard to mark time when in a state of bliss) and now own 14.

I'm getting a headache and feeling dizzy, not to mention going into a state of grief thinking about losing all my razors except one. But to answer your question, my 1/4 Le Grelot or my Puma or my ......arrrgggghhhh. I have to go and get a drink.

Last edited:
What have i let myself in for:w00t: This seems to be more complicated than the DE world by far. However what is life without discovery. Thanks guys for all the help so far. This site is really the best...No joke....

Our GF's and SWMBO's require monogamy, but thankfully our razors don't. I have 10 DE's from my DE days. I have been using straights for 2-3 months (its hard to mark time when in a state of bliss) and now own 14.

I'm getting a headache and feeling dizzy, not to mention going into a state of grief thinking about losing all my razors except one. But to answer your question, my 1/4 Le Grelot or my Puma or my ......arrrgggghhhh. I have to go and get a drink.

Have one on me TG16 i might need one with you soon. And i thought my life was going to get less complicated with a straight. Silly Me!!!!!!!

SOrry, yes, I meant the stainless steel blades and not the entry level Dovos. I should have been more clear! You could, for example, get the Pearlex for MUCH less than the mother of pearl Dovo and will still have the same blade and get the same shave.

Top Bottom