What's new

Omega Black Hi-Brush-what the S-brush should have been

Omega Black Hi Brush.png

Translating Omega's description: "Black badger effect. The ondulated fibers, are made of synthetic semi-crystalline polyester PBT. The single ondulated fibres, give the brush, optimal characteristics for lathering creams and soaps. Chemically sharpened tips, allow to dose better the lather and result very soft with skin."

I finished my 2nd (or was it 3rd) shave with this newly acquired brush, tried both cream and soap (Haslinger) and so now i can make an assessment:

-Knot: 24x55mm (it is the same size as medium size Omega boar brushes).
-Amazon price: EUR13.
-The knot has the same fiber material as the S-brush.
-Backbone: Medium or Medium-High.
-Knot shape: Fan.
-Latherability: Excellent.
-Big difference with S-brush of the same size: This one, actually SPLAYS ANYWHERE. The splay isn't the most natural in the world, there is a portion of the loft that you can feel it wanting to fight back, BUT, at the end of the day, it splays, without annoying you. It's not very springy either (with the S-brush of the same knot size, having lather flying around is common). I face lathered without lather splashes anywhere.
-The handle is hollow plastic. Looks nice, but not heavy at all.
-It loaded Haslinger with amazing speed, because Omega has a special treatment on the tips, to make them sharper in order to dig soaps easier. But, i didn't feel it prickly on the face.

-Against a Yaqi (either plissoft or tuxedo), which, costs about the same, it's inferior, in the way it splays and in that the fibers feel more "plasticky" and the Yaqi tips are softer. But, when all is said and done, for someone like me who wanted to boost the variety of synthetics, it's worth the low price. I may even buy another as spare, albeit with wooden handle (that costs the same). There is also one with resin handle (barber pole), for 20 EUR+, but i don't like the shape or the colour and frankly, when Yaqis costed me 10EUR shipped, paying 20+ for this knot isn't worth it.

Bottom line: This is an older generation fiber. The brush lathers very easily (as usual, my badgers, boars and horses were crying looking at the synthetic producing endless lather), it splays, it's pleasant, it's just a step or even half a step below the plissoft/tuxedos. It's what i would have picked since the beginning as the S-brush, since boars, once soaked, splay anywhere. The S-brush needs a chin or other facial bone to splay. T

he black hi-brush, does have backbone, you feel resistance even when splayed, it emulates much better IMHO, a soaked boar, than the s-brush. It's a backbone that doesn't annoy you constantly, contrary to the s-brush. It's like, it splays easier on the upper half and the more you press, the more it resists on the lower half. That's what a boar does too. If a specialized shop sold it, it would probably cost half of what i paid in Amazon, but at the end, 13EUR is a paltry amount for the "joy" of adding a new synthetic, that i don't mind using at all (contrary to the S-brush that i use rarely).

Last edited:
It felt just like a synthetic to me. I much preferred the S brush. It felt more boar-like to me. To each their own though.

Happy shaves.

I found the HI too springy for me. YMMV.

Fortunately, i don't have the original Hi-brush and i don't intend to buy it, because i have read a lot of negative reviews about it, even from people who like the s-brush. So i stayed clear. There is no secret here that they all use the same BTP fiber, which by definition, has springiness. Now, what i can say about the Black Hi-Brush, is that this springyness, contrary to the S-brush, isn't annoying and i face lathered without lather flying around, using swirling motions. That's good enough for me. The Black Hi-brush, is Omega's 3rd attempt with the same fiber material and to me, for €13, it's quite good.

Of course, if someone can get a plissoft/tuxedo/cashmere/mew brown etc for the same price, that would be the superior brush. But, i don't use the brushes that i think are better. I am in the "game" for the variety and the Black Hi-Brush will be in my rotation with equal chances compared to my other synthetics. And that's more than what i can say about the s-brush. Maybe 3rd time is a charm for this Omega fiber.

I didn't realize that "black" was anything more than a color description. I haven't tried it so disregard my previous comment, it was pertaining to the Hi-Brush.

I didn't run into any issues of flinging anything around with swirling motions using my s-brush though.

I didn't realize that "black" was anything more than a color description. I haven't tried it so disregard my previous comment, it was pertaining to the Hi-Brush.

I didn't run into any issues of flinging anything around with swirling motions using my s-brush though.

Yes, it's easy to misinterpret the name, however visiting the Omega website, it's very clear.
Hi-brush: badger effect.
Black Hi-brush: black badger effect.

Black badgers are used in "pure" grade brushes and have an increased backbone compared to ordinary badgers. Also, i only saw them recently here and only in Amazon so far. Specialized shops that were selling for several years Omega synthetics, didn't have the black ones, so this is the most recent addition to the Omega synth line.

YMMV for sure, as always.

Yes, it's easy to misinterpret the name, however visiting the Omega website, it's very clear.
Hi-brush: badger effect.
Black Hi-brush: black badger effect.

Black badgers are used in "pure" grade brushes and have an increased backbone compared to ordinary badgers. Also, i only saw them recently here and only in Amazon so far. Specialized shops that were selling for several years Omega synthetics, didn't have the black ones, so this is the most recent addition to the Omega synth line.

YMMV for sure, as always.

This was news to me. I have an old Omega Hi-Brush that is different from the "Black badger effect High-Brush"

Omega Website:
HI-Brush (Badger effect), BLACK HI-Brush (Black badger effect) and S-Brush (Hog bristle effect) synthetic fibers are made of PBT, a thermoplastic semi-crystalline polyester. The filaments are corrugated as to improve the performance of the brush in terms of holding and releasing the lather during the shave. They are chemically tapered to give a soft touch on the skin. Synthetic fibers are really much more performing than hog bristle and badger hair. They better withstand their daily duty and are much more hygienic and easier to clean.

HI-Brush, BLACK HI-Brush and S-Brush fiber shaving brushes are also Vegan Shaving Products!

I purchased a Hi-Brush and instantly hated it. Unbearable scritch and a lather flinger that would put any champion Scottish Hammer Thrower to shame. These are two things I've never experienced with any other brush, e.g. S-Brush, Yaqi synths, various boars, and various badgers (in fact it was my first ever [and last] experience of lather flinging).

This was news to me. I have an old Omega Hi-Brush that is different from the "Black badger effect High-Brush"

Omega Website:
HI-Brush (Badger effect), BLACK HI-Brush (Black badger effect) and S-Brush (Hog bristle effect) synthetic fibers are made of PBT, a thermoplastic semi-crystalline polyester. The filaments are corrugated as to improve the performance of the brush in terms of holding and releasing the lather during the shave. They are chemically tapered to give a soft touch on the skin. Synthetic fibers are really much more performing than hog bristle and badger hair. They better withstand their daily duty and are much more hygienic and easier to clean.

HI-Brush, BLACK HI-Brush and S-Brush fiber shaving brushes are also Vegan Shaving Products!

Yes, in my opening post, i attempted a translation from the italian website, which more or less says the same. Like i said, the Black Hi-Brush, must be new, because i haven't seen it before in italian specialized shops which do sell the S-brush and the Hi-brush. I found the black hi-brush in Amazon, where actually, were a few pieces that went "sold out". Right now the cheapest models will be available again in 1-2 months, another a bit more expensive is out of stock and from its sibling with different handle only a handful are left.

Last edited:
I purchased a Hi-Brush and instantly hated it. Unbearable scritch and a lather flinger that would put any champion Scottish Hammer Thrower to shame. These are two things I've never experienced with any other brush, e.g. S-Brush, Yaqi synths, various boars, and various badgers (in fact it was my first ever [and last] experience of lather flinging).

Whatever you say, i will believe you. I am not, despite my good will, an enthusiast of the Omega synthetics, because to me, the fibre they use, is like you say, too springy. They also sharpen the tip on purpose, so that it can dig to soaps, but this also makes them scritchier than newer generation fibers. This said, just by looking photos of the Black vs the normal hi-brush, i get the impression that the black is less bulb shape and it's a bit more "bloomed".

The way i face lather, i used the brush just fine. But, for instance, if someone loves painting motions, it might do the lather flinging, since it's inherently a springy fibre. To be honest, i was having second, third and even fourth thoughts when i first saw it, but, i was convinced it was worth the admittedly cheap price, after seeing this video:

Where, it seemed that the brush wasn't behaving too bad (in my case = S-brush). I was especially surprised, at one point when he splays it and he says "look how easily it splays". For someone like me, who suffered from this with the S-brush, this looked like a miraculous Omega! A synthetic Omega that splays on the cheek!

Yes, in my opening post, i attempted a translation from the italian website, which more or less says the same. Like i said, the Black Hi-Brush, must be new, because i haven't seen it before in italian specialized shops which do sell the S-brush and the Hi-brush. I found the black hi-brush in Amazon, where actually, were a few pieces that went "sold out". Right now the cheapest models will be available again in 1-2 months, another a bit more expensive is out of stock and from its sibling with different handle only a handful are left.

You have a good understanding of the Omega Syn's. My older Hi-Brush is turning out to be a fine brush after one year. I really appreciate the quality of fibers. They are very soft now with a good back bone. The springy feel is settling down. I have two brushes. when I'm using the other brush I still lather the Hi-Brush and rinse it to aid the aging process. The Omega is a long lasting high quality brush.

You have a good understanding of the Omega Syn's. My older Hi-Brush is turning out to be a fine brush after one year. I really appreciate the quality of fibers. They are very soft now with a good back bone. The springy feel is settling down. I have two brushes. when I'm using the other brush I still lather the Hi-Brush and rinse it to aid the aging process. The Omega is a long lasting high quality brush.

Interesting. So, you say that it "broke-in" after a year... Maybe that's why i hate my S-brush. I didn't really give it many chances and i was having it in a loose rotation and i just couldn't digest it every time i have to face lather with it.

Could you give us an exact model number so I can look into it? Or a link to it.

Never mine I just found it. You can get it at the Connaught site for $17.16.

OMEGA 0196745 BLACK Hi-Brush Synthetic Shaving Brush

There are many more models, if you click here

Interesting. So, you say that it "broke-in" after a year... Maybe that's why i hate my S-brush. I didn't really give it many chances and i was having it in a loose rotation and i just couldn't digest it every time i have to face lather with it.

There are many more models, if you click here

Thanks for the link.

Yes, that is it. Mine is the older black handle with the old fiber. I respect Omega and believe if they made an incremental change it would be for the better. Omega had a good base to start from.

I can tell you for sure this: With the S-brush (i have the 24mm size, which is quite stiff and tight), i have to brawl in order to make it splay other than in the chin. It's also a lather sling. With the Black High brush, although i do feel the springy backbone, i can sufficiently splay it without major annoyance and do my beloved swirling-circular motions without cursing. Also, i did finish twice the shaves, without lather flying around. Both of which, i would have never believed possible from that fibre. It took Omega several years to produce a 3rd iteration of the same fibre, but i think they took in the criticism and produced a more agreeable brush.

I will repeat, that if one for the same price, finds a Yaqi/Razorock/Maggard plissoft/tuxedo etc, these are better knots. However, for something more exotic, to add more variety to the mix, the Black Hi-Brush, for me at least, gets promoted.

Last edited:
I can tell you for sure this: With the S-brush (i have the 24mm size, which is quite stiff and tight), i have to brawl in order to make it splay other than in the chin. It's also a lather sling. With the Black High brush, although i do feel the springy backbone, i can sufficiently splay it without major annoyance and do my beloved swirling-circular motions without cursing. Also, i did finish twice the shaves, without lather flying around. Both of which, i would have never believed possible from that fibre. It took Omega several years to produce a 3rd iteration of the same fibre, but i think they took in the criticism and produced a more agreeable brush.

I will repeat, that if one for the same price, finds a Yaqi/Razorock/Maggard plissoft/tuxedo etc, these are better knots. However, for something more exotic, to add more variety to the mix, the Black Hi-Brush, for me at least, gets promoted.

I agree with you thoughts on the 3rd Gen High-Brush fiber. The fiber crimping probably holds a little water better that the Gen 1 fiber. As for the lather flinging. Not an issue for me. I just squeeze the knot out while bowl lathering. Might be a bigger problem for face lathers. I have a 20mm/54mm Maggard Timberwolf and while it is super soft it is aging quickly. It's like a male pattern baldness worn out badger brush after just two months.

I agree with you thoughts on the 3rd Gen High-Brush fiber. The fiber crimping probably holds a little water better that the Gen 1 fiber. As for the lather flinging. Not an issue for me. I just squeeze the knot out while bowl lathering. Might be a bigger problem for face lathers. I have a 20mm/54mm Maggard Timberwolf and while it is super soft it is aging quickly. It's like a male pattern baldness worn out badger brush after just two months.

Bowl lathering certainly makes the "sling effect" less of an issue. I am not sure what you mean about the Timberwolf. It lost fibers or were the fibers damaged? I only have Yaqis (plissofts and tuxedos), with about 1,3cm glue in all of them and they all seem indestructible, except for the one that has bigger loft and is softer, which seems that doesn't like to get mashed against the face, because the center fibres kind of deviate outwards once dry and i had to pass my hand over the loft and "straighten" them and since then i don't push it so hard like the others. The others have smaller lofts and seem indestructible. I don't know if Maggard has glue bump in its knots, but it's curious. I am glad i have some spare Yaqis just in case...

EDIT: At any case, the Black Hi-Brush, since it's springy and despite being more "blooming", keeps the Omega tradition of "tight" knots, i don't think it will be easily destructible.

I am not, despite my good will, an enthusiast of the Omega synthetics, because to me, the fibre they use, is like you say, too springy.
For me the Hi-Brush is way too springy. On the other hand I find the S-Brush perfect; it is a "little" springy but doesn't fling lather (for me anyway). BTW, I didn't say Omega synthetics were too springy, just the damned Hi-Brush (which of course some people love).
Where, it seemed that the brush wasn't behaving too bad (in my case = S-brush). I was especially surprised, at one point when he splays it and he says "look how easily it splays". For someone like me, who suffered from this with the S-brush, this looked like a miraculous Omega! A synthetic Omega that splays on the cheek!
I love my S-Brush. :001_tt2:
upload_2019-3-17_21-36-35.png
:001_wub:

Three of my favorites. :001_smile

For me the Hi-Brush is way too springy. On the other hand I find the S-Brush perfect; it is a "little" springy but doesn't fling lather (for me anyway). BTW, I didn't say Omega synthetics were too springy, just the damned Hi-Brush (which of course some people love).

I love my S-Brush. :001_tt2:
View attachment 963745 :001_wub:

Three of my favorites. :001_smile

What can i say. YMMV. I do think my S-brush has less bloom than yours (either by manufacturing or because of less use) and it's like a springy broom from hell.

S-Brush.png

Top Bottom