What's new

Omega badger any good for a face lathering?

Got a birthday coming up and was wondering about Omega badger brushes. Particularly the faux jade handled 6209 first grade bsdger or faux ivory 6212. Then again had my eye on the silver tip 632 and the 621.

Any info appreciated before I mention it to SWMBO 😐

Are you using hard soaps or creams? Do you like larger knots or more compact knots? What are you looking for in terms of softness and backbone? Any other brushes catch your fancy?

Sorry for the 20 questions...

Then again had my eye on the silver tip 632 and the 621.
The Omega 632 is a 20mm knot which I would find a little small however, if you prefer a small knot then I would go for that silvertip badger. Semogue do a good selection in 22mm knot silvertip badger brushes but they cost a little more, e.g. 730HD.

I haven't used the specific brushes you mentioned, but I've read in the past that Omega badgers can be on the floppy side (those that aren't pure badger), which might not work well for face lathering but if you bowl lather with softer soaps/creams might be fine.
Personally if it was me I would probably buy a different brush from an artisan for the prices that some of the Omega badgers seem to go for.

For the price, I'd steer you to a SOC Mistura - excellent brush on all fronts.

I have an Omega 6210 and while I like the softness of the tips and have had great shaves with it; it does lack backbone.
I simply hold the brush bristles, just above the handle to counter this - similar to how I use an Omega Pro49

All quiet on the Western Front...are you still around, @StuMcB?

Sorry had a prostate infection start up, been a little unwell. So I use both soft soap, hard soap and cream. But Indo lime the look of the Semogue brush with the clear handles. Now im off work for a few days Ill do a little more research. Thanks all

Sorry had a prostate infection start up, been a little unwell. So I use both soft soap, hard soap and cream. But Indo lime the look of the Semogue brush with the clear handles. Now im off work for a few days Ill do a little more research. Thanks all
I'm a fan of the Semogue SOC brushes with a Finest badger knot. These are versatile, so work really well with all soaps and creams. You can get a resin handle in either an ivory color or butterscotch color. There's also a wood handle in cherry. The knot is 24mm which is not too large for face lathering.

Hope you feel better soon.

I’ve got a 599 for traveling, haven‘t tried the ones you named. if their knot to loft ratios are similar, performance should be about the same. My 599 is soft but not floppy to my definition. It splays out really easily. And face lathering with it off of hard soaps or sticks is my only manner of shaving, exclusively. So a 20mm may well feel like a 24 on you face. That’s my experience with the 599. I happily use it at the house too.

the Semogue SOC in 2-band is possibly the best bang for the buck brush out there (when I bought mine years ago. I’m not sure what the price is now). I think that handle design is the most ergonomically best ones in existence, but I prefer wood handles to the resin handles based on the weight.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Get better soon friend.

Got a birthday coming up and was wondering about Omega badger brushes. Particularly the faux jade handled 6209 first grade bsdger or faux ivory 6212. Then again had my eye on the silver tip 632 and the 621.

Any info appreciated before I mention it to SWMBO 😐
I recently got the 6212 and it is superb for face lathering (I only face lather and typicallyuse hard soaps). The 1st Grade bristle is about as good as it gets in my opinion and the knot is nice and dense but beautifully soft. It whips up a LOT of lather. For the first 2 shaves it hogged the lather a little but now it gives it up nicely.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the 6212 (and by extension the 6209).

Top Bottom