What's new

Old Tea Plantations/New Life

Here is a heartwarming story, especially so if you love tea as I do.

When the Soviet Union was dismantled in 1989, many of the tea plantations in the Republic of Georgia were abandoned. Last year a group of young entrepreneurs resurrected a number of the old tea plantations and began harvesting and producing tea. Their teas are outstanding by any standards. They have a few teas left in stock from last season.

If you want to read their story go to www.renegadetea.com

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I also had no idea about tea making/producing in Georgia. Thanks for sharing.

I heard about them sometime last year but haven't tried anything, will be keeping an eye on them.

I did have a lovely Georgian tea back in 2008 from Nothing But Tea, which is, I think, Nigel's company.

The blurb from them about the Georgian Black I had was:
Our Old Gentleman tea is made by Iuri in the tiny village Nasakirali. His tea has all the freshness of a springtime meadow. Old Gentleman tea is very well twisted and even; it is blacker than our Old Lady tea made by Natela, though hers shows more golden tip. In the cup Iuri's Old Gentleman tea is slightly more robust and complex and is a darker brew, while Natela's is lighter and sweeter, as befits a lady.

Note for animal lovers - Iuri has an unusual black and white dog with one brown eye and one blue eye! His tea is just as unusual!

Top Bottom