What's new

Old Spice Again!

I'd heard that SB may have changed recently, and perhaps it has - I'll be alert for it. The last bottle I bought seemed fine, though (and I had transferred it to glass).

I’m thinking of getting some Old Spice. Never tried the aftershave before, but I used to love the original deodorant. Is it worth shelling out the extra dough for a Shulton bottle? The current version is $15 on Amazon, but the Shulton bottles I see on eBay are almost twice that.

I’m thinking of getting some Old Spice. Never tried the aftershave before, but I used to love the original deodorant. Is it worth shelling out the extra dough for a Shulton bottle? The current version is $15 on Amazon, but the Shulton bottles I see on eBay are almost twice that.

I vote yes, though I’ve gotten many bottles at antique shops, flea markets, vintage shops and goodwill. Most were under $10, with some for only a dollar or two.

Having experienced the Shulton goodness, I can say I think it’s worth it and you can get some deals on the auction site. I’ve seen some steals!

I agree it's worth it. The deo is much nicer than the currently available "Classic" stuff, and closer to the Shulton/Cyamid to me, so the current stuff might disappoint you somewhat. $15 is too much though - at stores I find it's usually in the $8 range these days (up from about $6).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Why yes, yes it is…

Shulton Old Spice is the absolute pinnacle of Men’s aftershave.

It’s heaven in a bottle.

If Jesus wasn’t rocking a beard? He’d probably splash on Shulton OS.

I secured a lifetime of Shulton Original Old Spice and the second best thing to it which is Shulton Old Spice Lime years ago.

It should only be used when one wants to reach out; and touch the face of God.

I recently bought two bottles of vintage Old Spice, one full and the other 3/4 full on the 'bay for 17 bucks (lot price, one listing). It is out there at reasonable prices if you are watchful and patient.

I last tried Old Spice aftershave about ten years ago. It smelled ok, but it was much oilier than I remembered. There must have been a sale on castor oil.

Update: I found a better deal on a bottle of SOS and pulled the trigger. It arrived yesterday and, testing it on my hand, I like what I smell. I’m stuck at home with COVID so I’ll be applying this liberally after my next shave.

The current OS is perfectly decent, but suffers from comparisons to the old.

I recently found a mix on an old thread (‘Badger Blends’, IIRC) posted by a member who doesn’t seem to have visited for a good few years. He called it NQS ‘Not Quite Shulton’ and was two parts current OS mixed with one part Stephan Spicy. I gave it a go this last weekend and the result isn’t half bad and is indeed, ‘not quite’ Shulton!

Update: I found a better deal on a bottle of SOS and pulled the trigger. It arrived yesterday and, testing it on my hand, I like what I smell. I’m stuck at home with COVID so I’ll be applying this liberally after my next shave.
And using it for the first time today I see that applying it liberally is the default. That stuff really pours out of the bottle!

I have noticed many aftershaves have weakened in scent recently. My Mennen Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva Ice Blue are both considerably weaker than the products I purchased a couple years ago.
Unless it’s Axe then it’s 100x the tenth power for olfactory overload.

Top Bottom