What's new

Old Spice Again!

Ok, so I just picked this up from Meijer's on a whim - haven't used it in >45 years or so.

1706484889597.png

Will try it tomorrow.

What's your experience with this one?

I recognize today's version's smell as the same as what I knew years ago (I only first came to it in the P&G era, however), but I feel quite certain it is noticeably weaker in strength.

I've experienced the vintage and liked that much more. It has a much stronger vanilla/powdery thing going on, is stronger, and lasts far longer. The deodorant/antiperspirant of today seems closer to that version than the current aftershave.

I recognize today's version's smell as the same as what I knew years ago (I only first came to it in the P&G era, however), but I feel quite certain it is noticeably weaker in strength.

I've experienced the vintage and liked that much more. It has a much stronger vanilla/powdery thing going on, is stronger, and lasts far longer. The deodorant/antiperspirant of today seems closer to that version than the current aftershave.

Agreed. The Original scent body wash and deo are pretty nice, and a closer match to the Shulton scent than the current aftershave to my nose.

@Odysseus if your OS reference is from 45 years ago, I fear you may be disappointed. I’d highly recommend grabbing a bottle of the Shulton stuff. They can be had for very reasonable prices on EBay, often in a goofy decanter or something but it can be had at comparable prices to many modern aftershave options which pale in comparison to the Shulton magic.

I actually gave that to my son - he likes it. Think I may do as breen suggests: that's a good idea.

Or, someone at work tells me there's a glass bottle on Amazon. Anyone tried that one? Maybe I'll spring for that as I wait.

Agreed. I have the Walmart version and a few bottles of Shulton, and the scent seems the same (or at least similar enough that my nose can't tell the difference) but the vintage stuff lasts longer after dry down.

If I use the new version and want the scent to last longer, I spritz on some of the Walmart OS cologne.

Regardless, it is one of my favorite AS scents.

I have noticed many aftershaves have weakened in scent recently. My Mennen Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva Ice Blue are both considerably weaker than the products I purchased a couple years ago.

True. In fact, I got flamed by a member here last here for bringing up that claim.
Some people seem to dismiss any opinion statement, even as well-supported or accurately observed as it may be in reality (agreeing with Odysseus here). Not all opinions are equal, nor opinions about opinions - if you ask me (see what I did, there?).

Maybe some of it has to do with the fact that reviews of shaving products online (esp. on the Large River site) are filled with obviously ignorant claims of things having been changed, or "watered down," or even "fake/knockoff" (the latter being my favorite one at which to eye-roll). Sure, somebody went to all the trouble of manufacturing a fake bottle of a $7 drugstore product.

I've said this already, but I'll go to bat for AV being very different from a decade or two ago when I first used it. It used to fill a room with just a normal amount - on myself and on others. I experienced this at work once. It would trail people in the hallway. Now, I still recognize it as distinctly the same scent profile, but there's something missing - and the strength/power went from a lion to a kitten. OS seems far weaker in strength, too, though to me the scent profile is identical to my first bottle. SB - I just don't know. It seems pretty much the same to me now as it did when I went through my first couple of bottles, but I could be wrong about it - and it could be that my present stock is old enough that I haven't encountered any recent changes yet. Many products were - and this was well-documented and admitted-to publicly - changed some formulas right around 2014 due to new allergy restrictions (seems to me the kind that affect .000001 of the population, etc) and such. Why would these things be different from anything else, though? Sugar changed to corn syrup in drinks, metal to plastic on cars...

Some people seem to dismiss any opinion statement, even as well-supported or accurately observed as it may be in reality (agreeing with Odysseus here). Not all opinions are equal, nor opinions about opinions - if you ask me (see what I did, there?).

Maybe some of it has to do with the fact that reviews of shaving products online (esp. on the Large River site) are filled with obviously ignorant claims of things having been changed, or "watered down," or even "fake/knockoff" (the latter being my favorite one at which to eye-roll). Sure, somebody went to all the trouble of manufacturing a fake bottle of a $7 drugstore product.

I've said this already, but I'll go to bat for AV being very different from a decade or two ago when I first used it. It used to fill a room with just a normal amount - on myself and on others. I experienced this at work once. It would trail people in the hallway. Now, I still recognize it as distinctly the same scent profile, but there's something missing - and the strength/power went from a lion to a kitten. OS seems far weaker in strength, too, though to me the scent profile is identical to my first bottle. SB - I just don't know. It seems pretty much the same to me now as it did when I went through my first couple of bottles, but I could be wrong about it - and it could be that my present stock is old enough that I haven't encountered any recent changes yet. Many products were - and this was well-documented and admitted-to publicly - changed some formulas right around 2014 due to new allergy restrictions (seems to me the kind that affect .000001 of the population, etc) and such. Why would these things be different from anything else, though? Sugar changed to corn syrup in drinks, metal to plastic on cars...
With the SB I suffer because I have a 50 year old bottle in my den as well as a 1 year old bottle and those two have very different strengths with an easy side-by-side sniff. I may be comparing my current SB plastic bottle with my 50 year old glass novelty bottle.

I can tell a difference between a bottle of Skin Bracer I bought several months ago and am nearly done with, and a bottle I bought weeks ago.

Top Bottom