What's new

Old(?) Painted Ceramic Shave Brush - Ideas?

I have wondered about this brush for some time and thought I would put it out there to see if folks know anything about it. I can tell by the knot it is an older item. Curious if it is hand painted? It doesnt appear to be any sort of decal. Any ideas? Age? Is that a fisherman or? Very cool brush. Just not sure what to think of it.

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

So I kept looking and have come up with this:

It seems to be a Limoges France hard paste, kaolin porcelain brush made in the 1920s by manufacturer Lazeyras, Rosenfeld and Lehman - hand painted by a factory artist named Bald. At the time they mostly made hand painted game plates

and portraits on porcelain. Some of the plates are common and fetch between 80.00 up to several hundred dollars with select items selling much higher. I don‘t know how common their shaving brushes were, but I am not seeing any yet.

So there ya go. Limoges 1920s hand painted shaving brush handle (combined with partial transfer) by an artist by the name of Bald. (maybe a head shave brush 😀)

Below is a portrait plate with the manufacturers mark on back as well as signature on an image of obviously the same smoking man. I was hoping it was older. I need think about an appropriate razor to pair it with.

IMG_5606.jpeg
IMG_5611.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom