What's new

Old Fogies Club: What was your workout today?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Brisk 1 mile walk, incorporating some exaggerated arm movements to warm up and loosen up the shoulder joints. Starting with 5 lb. clubbells one set each of three different routines and then upped the weight to 10 lb. clubbells for three routines that don't stress the shoulders as much. Finished up with a few minutes on my Teeter inversion table.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Approximately 1.5 mile brisk walk. Lower back issues usually prevent me from running/jogging. Towards the end of my walk I jogged for about 50 yds without pain. Usually I experience pain almost immediately when trying to jog. I guess the use of my inversion table is having an effect on my lower back. I don't aspire to become a runner per se, but I would like to get to the point that I could do some short sprint interval training. I will be using the inversion table later and do an assortment of stretches and perhaps some squats and lunges.

Heavy deadlift triple, two backoff triples at 90%, then bench. Bench was weird, my bad shoulder felt a little off warming up but not in the usual way. Warmed up carefully and got two sets of five, third set ended up being a triple although I had been anticipating that for a couple weeks now. Been making weekly jumps for a lot longer than I expected, will go for 3x5 again next week and then start doing 2.5lb jumps after that. Finished with a single set of 5 slow paused reps at about 75% which seems to have helped the shoulder feel a little better.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A little shoulder therapy, light exercise with the 5 lb. clubbells. Slowly seeing a slight improvement in shoulder mobility and less pain. Here is where I have to be really careful not to over do it. I'm anxious to increase the weight and complexity of the clubbell routine. I'm slowly adding some hip and leg movement but keeping the weights light for the moment. In addition to developing leg strength I need to work on my hip flexors. When done properly, clubbell exercises become whole body exercises, incorporating squats and lunges while using the clubbells for the arms, back and core. Using higher weights forces you to use your core, so you don't have to do specific core exercises, you use it all the time in clubbell routines. In theory, with the appropriate collection of various weights of clubbells, one would not need anything else, equipment wise, to get in tip top shape with full body work outs.

So this morning I did a single set of 10 repetitions of five different clubbell routines with the diminutive 5 lb'ers. Just enough to start to feel it in my shoulder caps. Hopefully I'll soon be able to add more sets and additional routines.
Excellent! Keep at it my bro! :) Take your time and go easy, you’ll get there! “slow is smooth and smooth is fast!

How many times have you heard that in a firearm training class? ;). Most of my minor aches, pains and injuries are from taking on too much, too fast and too heavy.

It’s in my nature to give great advice but not follow it myself…. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Lower body weight training early this morning. Thighs, glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves.

I did the complete workout barefoot. Read it somewhere or saw it on YouTube, can’t remember. Supposedly helps better with balance and superior leg development doing it without shoes?

I dunno, but imagunna try it! :)

Squats 30# dumbbells 3x15

Wide Leg Goblet Squat 3x15 50# Kettlebell

Reverse Lunges 30# dumbbells 3x15

Double Leg Calf Raises 3x20 Body Weight

Forward Walking Lunges 30# dumbbells 3x15

Single Leg Calf Raises 3x15 body weight plus 20# dumbbell

Forward Walking Wide Step Sumo lunges 30# dumbells 3x15

And I’mmmmm spent! :)

Trying some new plant based protein today, wish me luck! Major part of the protein is Pea Powder? Sounds kinda yucky, chocolate flavored pea powder? But it’s supposedly is better digested and absorbed by the body then Whey protein? We will see! :)

Wow on crutches? You’re a mad man! :)
Most of that was in the morning, pacing around the house, going shopping, etc. But I was still very surprised to see it, there have been days when I didn't get that many steps when I was fully functional. I wish I had checked by steps before surgery! Today I'm 99% on crutches, and I doubt I have much in the of way of steps hobbles to show for it by the end of the day.

hobbles recorded.

I went to my Chair Yogi Class at VA Thursday, my BAD KNEE went POP, it has popped out three times since Thursday. Getting old is not fun, should have taken better care of body. Live most day it two knee braces. Doctor keep asking you ready for Knee Replacement? My standared reply is I know what I have, you can guarantee me nothing.

Friend had one Knee replaced at Hospital down the road from me, apparently being diplomatic. He picked up infection in replacement he did not have on admission. Spent 4v month in rehab facility on IV's curing hospital caused infection.

Top Bottom