What's new

Oktoberfest

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Can you imagine how long it would take to become a great cook back before thermostatically controlled ovens?

For learning to be a great cook, not long. Although for learning how to get the fire going, keeping the coals banked, and keeping the temp. within an acceptable range may be another story. Mom was raised with a wood stove that Grandma used.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For learning to be a great cook, not long. Although for learning how to get the fire going, keeping the coals banked, and keeping the temp. within an acceptable range may be another story. Mom was raised with a wood stove that Grandma used.
We visited Colonial Williamsburg a couple times. The man cooking explained how you would hold your hand out to gauge the temp. He of course cooked that way.

The stuff looked and smelled delicious. That was the first time I had Brunswick stew. Yum.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We heat with wood. May someday break down and buy a wood fired cook stove. Have talked for years about building an outside kitchen for canning, etc.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'll be at Ocktoberfest Zinzinnati. Largest October fest outside of Germany. I go all weekend! Cincinnati, Ohio.
Oktoberfest Zinzinnati

Ah competition. Kitchener / Waterloo Ontario Canada might have something to say about the claim of the Largest outside of Germany. (Kitchener was Berlin until 1916 but WWI caused a change ) But then again more Octoberfest everywhere has to be a good thing. Strangely in Canada it happens in October starting the Friday before our thanksgiving and running to the Saturday following. (Oct 11-19)

For my wife and I this year I think I'll do a batch of soft pretzels.

Wuerstfest is coming up in New Braunfels, Texas. I lived there for 4 years in high school. I went every year. Lots of great German beers and great sausage. You just walk around the grounds drink beer and speak German and listen to oompa.

Vividly recall our family vacation to New Braunfels and Wuerstfest back in the '70s . Oh man, how I would love to return for a visit now that I can eat and drink a ton more. Funny there's this delicious aroma somewhere in the back of my brain now that the topic has been raised. ;)

Top Bottom