What's new

Oktoberfest

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone have any plans? It starts Saturday and runs for 2 weeks. It's not much of a thing around here and haven't heard any of the family saying they had anything going on.

I was thinking about putting together a meat and cheese board if anything pops up. Maybe some Black Forest ham, Farmer ham, Red Lager beer brats, Knackwurst, Dusseldorfer mustard, some Quark and Edeka German Kase assorted cheese slices, pretzels and rye bread.

I found this place that looks like it may be good.

Bavaria Sausage | Authentic Old World German Sausage Makers

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Sounds good. I used to (conveniently) schedule my German factory audits for the last week in September.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Anyone have any plans? It starts Saturday and runs for 2 weeks. It's not much of a thing around here and haven't heard any of the family saying they had anything going on.

I was thinking about putting together a meat and cheese board if anything pops up. Maybe some Black Forest ham, Farmer ham, Red Lager beer brats, Knackwurst, Dusseldorfer mustard, some Quark and Edeka German Kase assorted cheese slices, pretzels and rye bread.

Wuerstfest is coming up in New Braunfels, Texas. I lived there for 4 years in high school. I went every year. Lots of great German beers and great sausage. You just walk around the grounds drink beer and speak German and listen to oompa.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wuerstfest is coming up in New Braunfels, Texas. I lived there for 4 years in high school. I went every year. Lots of great German beers and great sausage. You just walk around the grounds drink beer and speak German and listen to oompa.

Yeah, Aaron. Like I said it's not that big around here but you get to New Braunfels and it is major. I stopped at a little BBQ shack there and picked up some German sausages one time.

From Oktoberfest to Wurstfest: A Look at New Braunfels’ World Renowned Festival | Keller Williams New Braunfels

Is Stroh's beer involved at all?

Copious amounts.

When should I plan on arriving?

Sounds great. We have never done anything for Octoberfest I might consider changing it up this year. I like the idea of German brats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Germans can flat out cook. Period. I married one. It's genetic. And yes @Lightcs1776, you can't beat brats. And how about Braunsweiger while we are talking about eventual heart attacks? lol

Germans can flat out cook. Period. I married one. It's genetic. And yes @Lightcs1776, you can't beat brats. And how about Braunsweiger while we are talking about eventual heart attacks? lol
One of my favorite foods. When I was sent to Fort Gordon for six months at a time, while my wife and family stayed home, I didn't make many fancy meals. Most of them were brats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

I'll be visiting nearby Frankenmuth, Michigan. A wonderful tourist trap, right in my backyard!

Lucky enough to have a week in Munich in Sep 2006 - I was amazed to learn that they brew a stronger beer than usual for the Oktoberfest. On the first day the Wiesn was open, by about 4pm the place was littered with comatose Germans in lederhosen(!) I don't think I have ever shipped so much beer in a week as that one...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We're most certainly hitting a local festival or two. One of them already is on our calendar, and we'll probably catch another as we can. I've also been known to start fire up the grill and the oompah music, fill up a Masskrug (or few), and have our own home party.

Several years ago, Mrs. TL and I went to Munich for a week or so. It was the first week of August, several weeks before the Oktoberfest was due to begin, but the "tent" construction already was getting underway. We stayed at a hotel that was virtuall right on the Wiesn (even closer that the Theresienwiese U-Bahn station), and we enjoyed walking around the grounds to see how things were coming together over that week. We thought about coming back for the big party, but we also realized that we probably were better off being there when we were. As one might imagine, there's plenty of good times to be had around Munich without all that hell breaking loose around you.

Wurstfest is great. It's also about a month after "Oktoberfest" ends, but that the difference between the climate in New Braunfels and Munich. Besides, it's a grand ol' time, so who cares when it is? We currently have both of those weekends free (amazingly), so getting over there is not at all out of the question.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been also thinking about doing a Dutch oven recipe I've been making for years. It's called Hillshirefest Dinner in the cookbook.

1 or 2 lbs. smoked sausage cut in 4 inch lengths (I'm thinking about using brats or some other German sausage, already cooked)
1 tsp. oleo
1 medium onion cut into wedges
2-16 oz. cans sauerkraut
1 cup apple juice (I don't use it)
2 medium apples cut into wedges
4 to 6 medium potatoes cut in half (I usually cut them in eights)
salt and pepper

Brown sausages in oleo in a 10 inch D.O. Arrange onion, sauerkraut, and apples and potatoes around sausage. Top with Apple juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes or until potatoes test done with a fork.

I usually bake at 350 and it has worked out well. For those that may want to use an outdoor Dutch oven with coals, and may be a bit new to it, there is a hand D.O. Temperature calculator a bit down the page:

Camp Cooking outdoors

FarmerTan

I've been also thinking about doing a Dutch oven recipe I've been making for years. It's called Hillshirefest Dinner in the cookbook.

1 or 2 lbs. smoked sausage cut in 4 inch lengths (I'm thinking about using brats or some other German sausage, already cooked)
1 tsp. oleo
1 medium onion cut into wedges
2-16 oz. cans sauerkraut
1 cup apple juice (I don't use it)
2 medium apples cut into wedges
4 to 6 medium potatoes cut in half (I usually cut them in eights)
salt and pepper

Brown sausages in oleo in a 10 inch D.O. Arrange onion, sauerkraut, and apples and potatoes around sausage. Top with Apple juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes or until potatoes test done with a fork.

I usually bake at 350 and it has worked out well. For those that may want to use an outdoor Dutch oven with coals, and may be a bit new to it, there is a hand D.O. Temperature calculator a bit down the page:

Camp Cooking outdoors
Can you imagine how long it would take to become a great cook back before thermostatically controlled ovens?

Top Bottom