What's new

"Okay boomer..."

People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Don't try to dig what we all s-s-s-say (talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to 'cause a big s-s-sensation (talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (talkin' 'bout my generation)

My generation

This is my generation

My generation
s-l640.jpg

Interestingly I had a discussion with my 16 year old son yesterday and I brought this subject up. I hadn’t had this chat with him before and he quickly made me aware that his generation holds us responsible for how messed up the environment is today. And he agrees with his peers. I’ll say that he may be right in one sense in that during our era of control over this country there was a general feeling that the wild open lands were limitless. But this was also a time of significant change in industry. And to blame environmental issues on an entire generation is an over-generalization and ignores the existence of people like myself who would pick up trash when I saw it and would observe leave no trace practices when backpacking. And those practices carried over into normal everyday life. I’m hoping I got through to him and usually do when he doesn’t have a response to my position. What did concern me was his announcement of his proposed plan for a career path. But that is another topic for another thread and another day.

When people try to tell me what to do concerning the environment, I tell them to come back when their environmental impact is smaller than mine. The environment is much better than the direction it was headed before unleaded gas came out. The rivers don't catch fire anymore. All the bad stuff that's being done to the environment now is being done by the Gen x'rs and the Millenials. They are at the age we were when we were supposed to be changing the world, which we did. Ever hear of computers?

Tort reform and trigger warnings are two different things.

The woman in the McDonald's coffee case was born in 1912. It happened in the early '90s, when anyone younger than baby boomers was too young to be arguing court cases or sitting on a jury. In any case, ambulance chasers long predate today's under-50s.

The McDonald's case was a fair decision. The coffee was hotter than the industry standards. There had been other cases, too. McDonald's didn't seem to care. But then, only a Boomer can see through the rhetoric and research the truth.

Boomer Proud

The McDonald's case was a fair decision. The coffee was hotter than the industry standards. There had been other cases, too. McDonald's didn't seem to care. But then, only a Boomer can see through the rhetoric and research the truth.

Boomer Proud

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The boomers (me) have made many mistakes for sure; but generally we played by the rules, showed up to work everyday on time and appreciated that fact that we lived in a country with much opportunity. These simple and time tested attributes seem to be missing from some of our newest members of society. I agree with Naughtilus I glad I'm bringing up the rear of this parade.
I'm a Boomer, and to tell the truth I was the Grasshopper in Aesop's Grasshopper and the Ant story. I had more fun than you could shake a stick at. I'd trade a job any day for a good party. It took a long minute to get my act together. Someone asked Martin Mull what the 1970's were like. He responded that he didn't really remember them. By contrast my daughters have their lives pretty much in check. They have done better than I did. To see my children as an improvement is a good thing.

Just to add: My rent was $90 bucks a month. You could buy a $50 car you could run into the ground and get another. If I needed money I could go out and cut a truck load of wood and sell it for $65 dollars. I could also walk into Manpower and pick up temp jobs at factories. That way I didn't have to work if I didn't want to. I did this all without ever starving, having a ride, or being homeless. You couldn't do this now days with rents starting $1,500 a month

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Just to add: My rent was $90 bucks a month. You could buy a $50 car you could run into the ground and get another. If I needed money I could go out and cut a truck load of wood and sell it for $65 dollars. I could also walk into Manpower and pick up temp jobs at factories. That way I didn't have to work if I didn't want to. I did this all without ever starving, having a ride, or being homeless. You couldn't do this now days with rents starting $1,500 a month
This is the place, called the Farm, My rent was $90. Here are some vintage pictures of the Farm and from parties there back in the day:
64979788_2547856035246731_3655408118294118400_o.jpg
24590_104440622921630_1507626_n.jpg
24590_104440626254963_116587_n.jpg
24590_104440632921629_3758430_n.jpg
64369158_2547852785247056_7410033687682613248_o.jpg

When people try to tell me what to do concerning the environment, I tell them to come back when their environmental impact is smaller than mine. The environment is much better than the direction it was headed before unleaded gas came out. The rivers don't catch fire anymore. All the bad stuff that's being done to the environment now is being done by the Gen x'rs and the Millenials. They are at the age we were when we were supposed to be changing the world, which we did. Ever hear of computers?
We stopped putting poison in gasoline, what else do you want?

Maybe "okay boomer" wouldn't resonate so well with people if your response was more like listening to what they have to say.

We stopped putting poison in gasoline, what else do you want?

Maybe "okay boomer" wouldn't resonate so well with people if your response was more like listening to what they have to say.

Why should I listen to them? They don't listen to me.

Seriously, I'm retired. They need to go fix the world themselves.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Okay, Millennial!"

--My great-grand kids, many decades from now.

This is my generation

My generation

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a Valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four

You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more
When I'm sixty-four

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck and Dave
Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
When I'm sixty-four

Don't know. The only reason I ever put a cup between my legs was to pee in it.

Well, that begins to explain the quality of the McDonalds coffee.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Tort reform and trigger warnings are two different things.

The woman in the McDonald's coffee case was born in 1912. It happened in the early '90s, when anyone younger than baby boomers was too young to be arguing court cases or sitting on a jury. In any case, ambulance chasers long predate today's under-50s.
The McDonalds coffee thing again. They got sued because they knowingly sold coffee at a temperature that was hotter than industry standards, and could cause third degree burns. They had been warned multiple times about it, and even came to a few settlements for similar instances prior, but kept doing it. The only time that big business listens to anyone is when the get hit hard in the pocket book.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Last edited:
Top Bottom