What's new

"Okay boomer..."

I recently watched a news clip where a young person in a public forum dismissed the comments of an older person by saying, "Okay boomer". This was a new one for me so I had to look it up.

Wikipedia says, "OK boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or close-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally."

I am guessing this in retaliation to the use of the term, "snowflake". Wikipedia says, "Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions. Common usages include the terms special snowflake, Generation Snowflake, and snowflake as a politicized insult."

If a young person said, "Okay boomer..." to me in a public forum I would be insulted and may have to go into therapy.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Old people have been griping and insulting younger generations for years (and the internet makes it more visible), so now when they fire back with something we (actually, I am a Gen X’er) get our boxers in a bunch.
2E38E9B2-F206-4610-867F-E5E165360B11.jpeg

Well, boomers have been blaming everything on millennials for years and this is just a response to that. IMO, its childish, stupid and does nothing but create division but what doesnt nowdays?

99% rule. Out of almost any normal group 99% of the group is cool. The last 1% ruin it for everyone else.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
When I hear "boomer" as slang the first thing I think of is...

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 5.03.47 PM.png

I probably read too much Clancy

So what's so wrong with being a boomer, aside from the usual travails of growing older. We got through the Eisenhower years, had our hearts broken by assassinations, opposed the war in Viet Nam, supported civil rights and feminism, made amazing music and amazing movies. Not a bad score; I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

So what's so wrong with being a boomer, aside from the usual travails of growing older. We got through the Eisenhower years, had our hearts broken by assassinations, opposed the war in Viet Nam, supported civil rights and feminism, made amazing music and amazing movies. Not a bad score; I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Don't forget we invented the internet.

Old people have been griping and insulting younger generations for years (and the internet makes it more visible), so now when they fire back with something we (actually, I am a Gen X’er) get our boxers in a bunch.View attachment 1034287
Young people have been griping and insulting older generations for years...

There is nothing new under the sun

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I just wish we could keep this crap off B&B. But alas, it all makes it’s way here in due time.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Don't forget we invented the internet.

And they got really good at 'Kick the Can' as youngsters

Top Bottom