What's new

OK I bought something.. now what ?

I am a DE shaver. Never used a straight or a shavette in my life.

Bought a Gillette Superspeed at a pretty reasonable price on eBay, and it was bundled with two Durham Duplex shavettes.

By the looks of them in the photo, they may have a few rust spots (unless this is just grime) but otherwise look pretty serviceable.

It also looks like they may have blades in them. Hard to tell but it does look like a blade edge between the teeth.

The razors should be here on Monday or so. And I know that I will absolutely want to try them.

So, perhaps someone can help with a few questions.

1) I understand that these blades can be honed. I don't have any honing tools. Is there a way to hone them using household items ? (a natural cow hide leather belt, for example).
2) Is there a source for the blades other than buying the prep blades in bulk or doggy blades which, as I read, are awful and require stropping ? Again, I just want to try them, don't want to get invested into this unless I like it.
3) Anything to look for in these particular razors - that is, any problems other than the obvious like bent teeth or loose handle ?
4) What is the best way to hold this contraption against the skin (angle, stroke) ?

TIA !

s-l1600.png

I have one of these Durham straights. I opted to buy 10 of the Personna Med blades off EBay for $15. They are a stainless blade with a shaving edge. I've also seen the carpet cutter carbon blades used but with mixed results. The razor worked well but the size of the combs make it very unwieldly. I am not a straight razor shaver and anything like this is very uncomfortable for me.
I did a few passes on the cheeks and it worked well and the blade was smooth.

They do clean up easily with a little dawn on a toothbrush.

Hope this helps a bit.

I have one of these Durham straights. I opted to buy 10 of the Personna Med blades off EBay for $15. They are a stainless blade with a shaving edge. I've also seen the carpet cutter carbon blades used but with mixed results. The razor worked well but the size of the combs make it very unwieldly. I am not a straight razor shaver and anything like this is very uncomfortable for me.
I did a few passes on the cheeks and it worked well and the blade was smooth.

They do clean up easily with a little dawn on a toothbrush.

Hope this helps a bit.
Yes, this absolutely helps.
When you say "uncomfortable" is it irritation, or maneuvering ?

Yes, this absolutely helps.
When you say "uncomfortable" is it irritation, or maneuvering ?
Maneuvering. I like my razors horizontal with a handle at 90 degrees. LOL It's just hard to find the edge on the Durham because of the double combs. If it had a single comb and a flat other side ( you can get an attachment that does this - I've seen it on some Durhams) it would work much better. I just do not have the skills yet for straight razor shaving. If you do then this should be like a straight razor with training wheels.

Top Bottom