What's new

Offbeat Hand Tools That Are Amazingly Useful - List Your Favourites

A small, powerful and cheap flashlight. I'm an IT guy and I use this constantly looking inside computers, behind desks, up in ceilings or wiring spaces... Clips easily inside pants pocket (even in the "watch pocket on Levis). It's super bright, focusable and at about $5 online, super cheap. I ordered 5 of them. If I lose one somewhere, no big deal. If it breaks, no big deal. (it has a surprisingly tough, all aluminum body.)
Gotten so used to having extra light anytime that I carry one all the time, even when not working.

Cree LED 7watt 300 lumens
proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
A small, powerful and cheap flashlight. I'm an IT guy and I use this constantly looking inside computers, behind desks, up in ceilings or wiring spaces... Clips easily inside pants pocket (even in the "watch pocket on Levis). It's super bright, focusable and at about $5 online, super cheap. I ordered 5 of them. If I lose one somewhere, no big deal. If it breaks, no big deal. (it has a surprisingly tough, all aluminum body.)
Gotten so used to having extra light anytime that I carry one all the time, even when not working.

Cree LED 7watt 300 lumens
proxy.php

Haha. I own EXACTLY the same model torch. Great value.

My bicycle light conked out the other night, and this plus a few rubber bands worked great getting me home.

BTW, that guys pinky nail is gross.

Last edited:
Just bought one now on you're recommendation. Cheers, D

Haha. I own EXACTLY the same model torch. Great value.

My bicycle light conked out the other night, and this plus a few rubber bands worked great getting me home.

BTW, that guys pinky nail is gross.

Gents, as I look forward to an early retirement in a few years(lots of 'ifs' not a done deal) I have started taking stock of the mess work space that is my garage area. Hopefully small shop for at least some tinkering and making once most of the honey do stuff is over. Being a bit of a hands on guy I already have a good number of mechanics tools and top quality electrical pliers and screwdrivers. Over the years I have either acquired or wanted to acquire a few off the beaten path hand tools that are beyond useful but not all that common in daily use or to a wide spectrum of the population.

One of these are the scissors that are usually associated with telecom install techs. Though they are made by several reputable manufacturers they are typified by the Klein 2100-7. These are short and stout, they tuck away in a pocket or tool pouch. Always ready at a moment's notice they are never in the way. Useful? I should say so. Though aimed at the telco tech they are useful for cutting just about anything short of steel. Small gauge wire, plastic wire ties, straps, tape, etc. Heck, even a penny will succumb to the edges if you want to push it.

Another from the telco/data boys is the humble spudger. If you Google this you will get a lot of hits for a device to open iPhones and other data devices. Indeed, the spudger typically has a flattened end for such opening tasks. However, it is the pencil shaped models I speak of here and the business end of these has a nifty little right angle metal hook on it. It is designed to lift wires from Type 66 termination blocks and other datacomm terminations. This it does with ease. And one hundred other unintended usesThese things are one of those 'man it was handy to have that' items. It too hides stoically away in remote crevice of the tool bag or pouch. Just waiting to be called into action.

I carry the 2100-7 daily. I need to pick up a couple of spudgers. They are dirt cheap and having a few around to replace those that are 'liberated' by other employees who discover their usefulness is always a good idea. So how about it? What are the tools you seem to grab for when the right one is not the 'right' one?

Klein 2100-7
proxy.php

Spudger Klein VDV327-103
proxy.php

+1 I have been a telecom engineer for almost 30 years and would not be caught without my Klein 2100-7 and spudger; otherwise known as a "booger hook". For us telecom types they are indispensable. I won't go into why the old timers I used to work with when first starting called them that. :tongue_sm

Many years ago, I worked as an electrician's helper during high school and college. I worked with some great guys. One of them turned me on to these screwdrivers. He called it a "whoopee-driver." Very useful for installing or removing items like outlets, switches, switch covers, etc. where you needed a lot of turns on a screw, but very little pressure or torque.

The driver spins freely as you install or remove a screw. Saves a ton of time.

View attachment 487504

+1 on those; they are great and fast! I remember the first time I saw one of those, I said to myself I need to get one of those! Great for taking out and putting in screws on wall plates. Highly recommended and Klein quality. You won't be disappointed.

For me it is my EDC (every day carry) pocket knife. Since I started carrying, I can't believe how often I use it.

The one I use in inexpensive - a Rough Rider Canoe lockback.
$roughrider - 800px-opt.jpg

Small enough to have in my pocket at all times. Originally bought it as a pocket whittler for when I was out, but I use it for so much more now.

Now that it is in my pocket everyday I use it to cut:
-packaging
-string, rope, tape
-food
-cloth and much more

A knife was one of the first tools used by our ancestors as much as 2.5 million years ago and now, with modern packaging, they are becoming critical again! :)

Not the biggest item but a very handy one. This is a 50s-60's Ekco one handed mixer. It works very well using a large coffee mug. You can firmly grasp the coffee mug handle in one hand and mix with the other. It spins on both the up and down strokes. I got it at the thrift shop for $2.95. The chrome ferrule cup was loose so I used a large amount of epoxy to attach it firmly. It can also be used as a wisk.

Have you seen all the things you can do with a good paint scraper. In my stint as boat mechanic they were invaluable. Sharpen the edge and you have very wide gasket scraper, wire splicer, rust scraper, hose cutter, straight edge, tight space spider killer, screw driver and if your were careful they can reach that spot on your back to scratch that is just out of reach. Now that I not a boat mechanic I still reach for one all the time.

Great replies gents. And yes Nate, a paint scraper(especially those ones with the four or five edges) are beyond handy. Even though I mentioned them before the industrial tweezers bear another mention. They come in an incredible array of sizes and configuration including insulated for mains voltage work(I don't like the idea though) so they can be used for picker-upper duty in any situation. Telescoping magnet is another. And yeah the lowly pocket torch. Those four buck chuck types from the sales counters or online are invaluable. And if you lose one(in maintenance you will, INVARIABLY) then you are not sick over the loss of major money.

Top Bottom