What's new

Off the Rack Dress Shirts

So I took a leap and got a new job this week, moving from manufacturing to banking, so I get to dust off my suits and ties. I've also been very busy in the last few years and shed about 35 pounds.

Then I realized I've accumulated mostly dress shirts with our factory name and logo on them. I only have a pair of dress shirts that fit since I've lost the weight. As appealing as camping out at the local chinese buffet and adding 35 pounds back on is, I'd rather get a few off the rack shirts until I can get a professional wardrobe built back up.

I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on brands/stores? I'm lucky in the sense that the usual "Large" fits in the neck and sleeve without needing tailoring. I'd like to drop another 15 pounds, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on custom fit shirts until I know where I'll end up weight wise, but I need to put my best look forward as this position will be high visibility and I'll be dealing with the heads of other companies.

I am a fan of the Traveler's Dress Shirts from Jos. A. Banks. I only buy them when they are on sale, often buy one get two free or get three for $99. They are fitted both neck and sleeve length, and they do not need to be ironed every time you wash them. They are a rip off if you have to pay full price, though, which is about $90 each if not on sale.

If they fit properly (buy by sleeve/neck size) some of LLBean's shirts are pretty good and reasonably priced. If you are near Freeport, go over to the store and check some out.

Believe it or not, Costco shirts are of really good quality and only $17!
The quality is surprising, but I find the cut a bit too billowy for me and the styles more casual than dressy.

If you are looking to buy some off the rack dress shirts, the first and only recommendation I would make is to stop buying ones that are sized S, M, L and buy some real shirts instead.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd rather get a few off the rack shirts until I can get a professional wardrobe built back up.

I'm lucky in the sense that the usual "Large" fits in the neck and sleeve without needing tailoring.

I'd like to drop another 15 pounds, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on custom fit shirts until I know where I'll end up weight wise ...

... but I need to put my best look forward as this position will be high visibility and I'll be dealing with the heads of other companies.

Congrats on the job! And the weight loss!!

While your shirt numbers are low, focus on white shirts ... they are far less "memorable" than colours, stripes, &c, and you avoid the "didn't you wear that shirt yesterday ... and last Friday ... and the Tuesday before that ... and ...??" questions.

See what is available locally, and try them on in the store. But one of each of whatever fits well and is within your budget, until you have "enough" shirts to get by. (Or at least to get by until the "end of season" sales in January/February.)

I am a fan of the Traveler's Dress Shirts from Jos. A. Banks. I only buy them when they are on sale, often buy one get two free or get three for $99. They are fitted both neck and sleeve length, and they do not need to be ironed every time you wash them. They are a rip off if you have to pay full price, though, which is about $90 each if not on sale.
+1!! I normally hate blends and wash & wear fabrics, but these are really special. Machine wash in cold water on a reasonably gentle cycle, hang 'em up, and they look as if they just came back from the dry cleaner.

If they fit properly (buy by sleeve/neck size) some of LLBean's shirts are pretty good and reasonably priced. If you are near Freeport, go over to the store and check some out.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I've only purchased LL Bean wrinkle free oxford and pinpoints for the last 5-6 years. They are bulletproof, well made, and the company stands behind their product with free shipping both ways and an great warranty. They're offered in many neck and sleeve length combinations, with 3 different "fits". They're sub $50 each, but the quality is really good.

Also, as the earlier poster also said, get away from the S, M, L, and XL sizing system in dress shirts.

I too have had good luck with LL Bean shirts. I don't know what it cost, but my wife got me a really nice Tasso Elba shirt at Macy's for Christmas last year.

I agree with the strategy of getting white shirts and then supplementing with extra ties. Completely different outfit with the same shirt.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going with a couple of white shirts and a couple of the LLBean's. I live about an hour from Freeport and pop in there every few months. I just never thought to check there for the shirts!

I was just going to post the very same thread. I'm having a hard time finding quality dress shirts at an affordable price these days.

:popc:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Buying whole bunch of "inexpensive" dress shirts is something I'd skip if I got a "do-over" for the past decade or so. They can actually last rather well (I hear that the "non-iron" shirts tend to wear out faster, due to something in the fabric that gives them their non-iron-y-ness, but I never bought one).

If you have enough to get you from one laundry day to the next, with a couple spares "just in case" you have enough shirts.

Then, I'd say you go a few years without needing to replace any shirts. Then, you probably replace one shirt a year (give or take, averaging it out over time.)

I just bought three more in the Traveler's slim fit yesterday. Finally found a shirt that fits well and does not blouse too much. I have been quite happy with the ones I have gotten from Jos. A. Bank.

Top Bottom