What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

OCTOBER 2020 SCORES

No matter the season, no matter the weather the hunt should continue....

Visit the familiar places, seek out new ones, always searching for the elusive find ... and, you never know, you may stumble on that special something because ...

The Scores do await, whether in the wild and online. And when you find one, oh does it feel so good!

And Gents, when you snag one please let us know.

Because, we all want to see and think ... Lucky Dog! I need one of THOSE....

I dropped into a local antique/bric-brac place the other day and finally had some luck. The lady said she had a couple of razors at home and promised to bring them in the next day. Sure enough, she actually did! And they were both keepers. They were British Gillettes in excellent condition. One was (I think) an early Aristocrat Junior with the flat baseplate, no end-caps, and ‘wings’ on the ends of the blade alignment bar. All in the original Bakelite box with blade banks in excellent condition. The other one was a beautiful Aristocrat set that even had the cardboard outer. It amazes me that the bit of cardboard has survived for 70 odd years, but it no doubt accounts for the condition of the case. It has the usual age-related discolouration inside the lid, but the exterior is perfect - like new in fact. The razor itself is in fantastic condition, and with its barber-pole handle is arguably the most beautiful Gillette of all (is the handle Rhodium plated?). Of course beauty is entirely subjective 😊. Anyway, naturally I grabbed them both, and they’re now in my display cabinet.
DA8A46BA-7088-48EE-A3AF-4834EB420C63.jpeg 5BD26F6F-0B7A-4928-9027-6598B34D1887.jpeg B24641D5-8AF1-4AA3-8C4E-E204D12A5840.jpeg 75DB4022-8E79-4ABA-9955-BE8532CCBF61.jpeg FBC9BDB9-50B0-4F62-BEA1-A42C87429AFE.jpeg AE2D0278-0255-4C6F-96FC-BD4DF3078E65.jpeg DC72760F-A9D6-4F50-A221-2AEB429EBD0F.jpeg 74499027-91A3-4933-840F-55B674797C60.jpeg 1470939F-BD54-4CDC-B90D-3ECC5E35DF7D.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ambassador
Myrsol Plastic Shave and Nordic Shaving Soap Birch!

One smells like the 1960s. Queue up Frank Zappa's "Plastic People!"

The other is a not-Pine, not-Cedar, genuine Birch smell! First shave with both = excellent.

AA

Last edited:
Scored this vintage shave mug today. Been looking for one locally for ages, and this one finally found its way to a local antiques dealer.

It's made by a renowned porcelain manufacturer here in Norway

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Nice! Even the case seems to be pristine. Good find...I love mine, though I don't use it as often as some others. It's almost too pretty to get my whiskers on it.

I received 3 mail calls over the past week and a half and just haven't had the time to post. A package came in from PAA to stock up on some deodorants, a new alum block (I dropped my current one) and holder, the Prismatic razor - something I always wanted to try, and completed the collection of the PAA retro acrylic brushes. I believe these are one of the best values in the business with cool colors and styling, excellent synthetic knots, and reasonable pricing. I can't forget the Clown Fruit Cube. Love Clown Fruit and could not resist. I just wish it was mentholated.

I also received a small package from the Razor Company. I did not know about these guys, but they are local in Michigan and provide free shipping for orders over $10. I recommend trying them. I have been intrigued by Leviathan for some time, but put off purchasing last year because I just disliked the label artwork so much and hoped B&M would redesign again this year. I really dig this latest artwork. I just wish B&M made a normal AS this year instead of the balm. I was not going to buy the EDT until at least I knew I liked the scent.

Today I received the Classic Monster tribute from Dr. Jons. Shave Till The Grave. Not quite as elaborate as the Holy Black offerings, but still very cool. I just hate the crappy metal tins, but if you want Dr. Jons, there is no choice. The artwork is great and makes up for the use of metal. From a quick whiff of each soap, the scents smell great. It is hard to tell until they get lathered up, but the set should be fun and enjoyable. I just wish it was one scent at a time per year. 3 seasonal soaps all at once is a lot of soap. They wrapped the package in a thick red paper and it all looked nice. I am really excited about this one. The shirt that came with the package will be delivered separately.

It looks like plenty of awesome shaves ahead!
Steve

IMG_7867.jpg
IMG_7917.jpg
IMG_7943.jpg
IMG_7945.jpg
IMG_7946.jpg

Today was another great mail call. I received a couple of Lancaster Razor Works shave towels - one for me and one for my son. He picked the Royal Purple and I now have a Lavender. They appear and feel very nice. I also received the Holy Black Vampire Hunter Kit. This is a very well done, themed product. Everything is cool and fun in the spirit of Halloween. The only 2 criticisms I have are 1) The set smells terrible - The clove of garlic will not only keep vampires away, but also my family - lol. I am sure over time, with the garlic removed, the sent of the set will not be so potent. 2) I wish the set contained a shave soap. I enjoy strongly themed items that are focused around products I use the most. My hair is disappearing, and I really don't need a firm pomade. Currently without a beard or mustache as well, I don't really need hair tonic. Nevertheless, I will try these out sparingly and who knows, maybe they will work nicely for me in limited applications. A soap or shaving cream would have been better. It is a lot of prop and theme for EDT and aftershave. Otherwise, it is perfect for those of us that appreciate unique highly imaginative shaving/personal care related items. Holy Black did a really great job.

IMG_7964.jpg
IMG_7965.jpg
IMG_7969.jpg
IMG_7971.jpg

Top Bottom