What's new

OCtober 2019

• Merkur 11
  • NOS Schick Super Chromium (1)
  • Vintage Williams
  • Art of Shaving badger, face lathered
  • Montblanc Legend after shave balm
Forty-eight hours of growth cleanly and comfortably removed. The vintage Merkur was my first choice for the inaugural OCtober shave. I could stick with it all month and be happy. And the Schick Super Chrome was the perfect combination of sharp and smooth. Excellent way to start off the month!

Last edited:
S OC 10-1-19.jpg

Shave #1:
Gillette New Short Open Comb
Nacet Blade (#1)
Simpson Colonel X2L Brush
Reef Point Soaps, Dragon's Blood (tallow)
Followed up by Fine American Blend AS.

Great shave as always with this razor and blade combo. Decided to use a tallow based soap, had to work it like it owed me money due to my hard water, but got a really good lather. Great oriental style scent from the soap. Decided to give my Simpson brush a spin, haven't used it in a couple of months. I like my synthetic horse hair better, but I needed the badger backbone to work the tallow soap.

Here is a pic of my razor broken down:
SC Disasembled.jpg

Have a GreaT one Everyone!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow!!!! I'm heading to my Shave-Cave for my OCtober contribution, but before I do I wanted to give you a heads-up on the types of stats I'm hoping to collect. Check out this post if you're interested -- I hoping to do the same for this thread:

I will only be entering data from individually-posted shaves -- no more aggregate data (i.e., "I did X shaves with Y razor and this blade")....that was not fun, especially since I was trying not to over or under count....I'm just too obsessive, I know. Okay, now I can go enjoy my shave before I try to catch up with today's entries....gonna be a fun month!!!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Wow!!!! I'm heading to my Shave-Cave for my OCtober contribution, but before I do I wanted to give you a heads-up on the types of stats I'm hoping to collect. Check out this post if you're interested -- I hoping to do the same for this thread:

I will only be entering data from individually-posted shaves -- no more aggregate data (i.e., "I did X shaves with Y razor and this blade")....that was not fun, especially since I was trying not to over or under count....I'm just too obsessive, I know. Okay, now I can go enjoy my shave before I try to catch up with today's entries....gonna be a fun month!!!
I do so appreciate you doing this. I sure hope we all make a count note for OCtober for each shave posted to make your life easier. Happy Shaves and Thank You!

Flintstone65

An outstanding start to OCtober for me. My 1905 Gillette Double Ring with a slightly used Feather blade, Tabac lathered with my NYC acquired (Pasteur's Pharmacy) Omega 10077 Boar. I was going to do a full 3-pass shave, but after lathering my face for the 3rd pass, I ran my hand around just to see how my trouble-spots were faring, and I couldn't feel any stubble....just a little bit of roughness on the right side jawline. So I did a super light touch-up and I was done. No blood (bleeders or otherwise), no irritation, and no stubble....just a DFS+/BBS- shave!
proxy.php

Flintstone65

I do so appreciate you doing this. I sure hope we all make a count note for OCtober for each shave posted to make your life easier. Happy Shaves and Thank You!
Thank you!!! It really is my pleasure (even if I occasionally grouse) -- I may well be headed for the BOSC after two months of data collection and reporting. ;)

First OCtober shave (ever) is in the books.

Fatip Grande Classic Original in Metal Black w/ Crystal Blade (1)

— Carlos
(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober 1st, I had to blow the dust off my Razorock old type razor, its a mild but important razor when I travel. I do not want nicks or weepers when in foreign countries that could expose myself to unknowns. This razor is a easy going, carefree & inexpensive so if lost nothing to cry about & have used it a lot over the yrs but has been replaced recently with my Razorock SLOC:001_wub:.

Razor: Razorock old type
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Soap: The Dead Sea by Razorock
Pre shave: Brush wash face with CeraVe soap
Post have: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave : Razorock "The Dead Sea" A.S with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,bBS + Alum indicated no irritation + no weepers =:biggrin1:

OCtober 1-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
My Entry into the OCtober party

Delta Echo/Gem MMOC / Personna
That Darn Rob - Hybrid / Tux
Proraso - White
Prep

proxy.php

In spite of 90 degree temperatures I managed to chill off with WCS Pear-Brrr-Shop augmented with a bit of Cremo Cooling in a chilled GP scuttle. As an added treat, this was the maiden voyage of my OC Brass Blackbird. (I love the 100mm handle) Paired with a Polsilver SI the OC Bird is just a fantastic shaver. Cheers everyone!
OC October 1.jpg

Welcome to OCtober/Tabactober. :)

SOTD

• Tabac
  • Amboyna Burl beehive badger (Elite Razors custom)
  • Parker A1C
  • Nacet (3)
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Men's Grooming Black Pepper & Thistle ASB
  • Bay Rum AS
After face-lathering, before the first pass:

SOTD_100119.jpg

Attachments

• SOTD_100119.jpg
    SOTD_100119.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 3
Tuesday OCtober 1

First OC shave of the month.
Hitting leadoff, a 113 year old, 1906 Gillette single ring model 100.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - La Savonniere du Moulin (A+ in my book)
Brush - Rubberset 400-3
Blade - Feather HI SS (3)
Razor - 1906 Gillette model 100
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Stirling Ramblin' Man A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

What a nice shave this razor gave. No wonder these razors were popular. This soap might be my favorite soap as well. I know it's not MWF, I'll do that tomorrow on a "W" day. 2 pass shave with NO need for partial cleanup passes. 1st pass was WTG and DFS+ and I could have stopped there but I got greedy. Did the 2nd pass XTG on my face and ATG on my neck area. Greedy part came with the ATG on my neck area and I pressed a bit too hard to try to get everything in the 2nd pass and caused myself some irritation that I felt when applying the alum and A/S. Other than that misstep on my part, a GREAT shave from this old-timer.

Tomorrow, considering another old-timer, a 1918 Gillette Bulldog.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.

IMG_0918.JPG

OCt 1 very Euro

Pass 1: Focus Slim Al shavette/Astra(2)
Pass 2 and touchup: Merkur vintage, handle is plated zamak (40s serial numbers), head is ‘tooth’, i.e. OC as in the 11/13/15 series. Is it a frankenMerkur or did the German giant sell this mix some years? Paired with a Czech carbon steel Tiger(1).
Lea Mentolada cream, Vulfix 6 boar
Alum and Texas 10X Face Freezer AS

Very comfortable shave, didn’t try to get too close.
05602E03-4D5B-4776-BB29-E4BC91E2DAE9.jpeg

995234B6-5661-4B32-89BA-0AEA99707A63.jpeg

BA55C3CF-1E0F-4B89-8E57-F485C9B3C5AA.jpeg

Top Bottom