What's new

Observations (and question) from my first DE shave

So this morning was my first dive into DE shaving. I've been soaking up everything I've been able to at B&B for the past two weeks while waiting for my kit to come in. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I don't think my lather was great but I'm assuming I'll get that down eventually. I started with 2 WTG passes and finished with a XTG/ATG pass which leads to my question...

With cartridges, I've never been able to get a decent shave unless I go completely ATG (my beard isn't all that thick, so it gave me slight irritation, but nothing too bad). While I know my technique isn't great at this point - I only have one shave under my belt - I found the same to be true with the DE. The first two WTG passes didn't really do much at all. There was a slight reduction, but barely noticeable. It didn't seem like I got much of a shave until the third XTG/ATG pass. My question is this: should I try to avoid ATG passes until my technique is better or is it more of a case of "go for it if it doesn't cause irritation or cuts"?

Thanks in advance, guys. BTW I'm using:
Merkur 38C
Treet Platinum blades
Omega Boar brush (81230)
Proraso Pre/Post
TOBS Avocado cream
Neutrogena Razor Defense

If you are not experiencing irritation then you can proceed to shave ATG. However, if you make a mistake, your inexperience will not work for you. Regardless, it seems to be working for you so far. The bottom line, if you are getting the shave you want, continue using the approach.

I've always shaved ATG, even as a beginner. It's worth the extra step for the extra smoothness in the end, for me. Just be careful and you'll be good.

Welcome and congrats on your first DE shave! :thumbup1:

You might wanna just try a WTG, XTG the grain pass first. I found I got such a great shave this way that I've never needed an ATG.

And when you go ATG, remember NO PRESSURE. Hold the razor so lightly that you think it will fall out of your hands.

Top Bottom