What's new

Oakland, CA area - anything Pen/Razor related not to miss?

I'm going to be on Oakland for a few days. I'll have evenings, and maybe an afternoon free. Anything I shouldn't miss? I'm always looking for unique pen/stationary/card shops, in addition to shave gear. I'll have a car.

I could probably Google, but I figure you guys might have the real scoop.

Many Thanks, -c

San Francisco: Maido in the Westfield shopping center (Market St. around 8th?) is excellent for pens and stationery. There's also a stationery store in Japantown in the larger of the malls (Geary and Webster, I think).

Adding: Car will stink for getting around (and parking is expensive). May want to take BART into SF. If you go to Japantown, take the MUNI 2 or 3 bus once downtown instead of the 38 (you can sometimes walk faster than the regular 38 bus).

For shaving, make sure you stop at Nancy Boy in Hayes Valley (and pick up some shaving product!)

Last edited:
If you are relying on Muni, make certain that you carry a map of their system with you. I used it ONCE for a seminar I was attending, and they commandeered the bus right out from under me for some special event without letting me know how to get back to the train station to get out of that fine city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. It was quite a visit. I didn't see quite as much of town as I hoped, but there were some highlights.

Many thanks for the recommendations. Flax was awesome. That's more paper than I've ever seen in one place. I'm overstocked now.

Castle in the Air, in Berkley put me over the edge. Fun little shop, with enough guy stuff to keep it interesting. More great stationary, and more pen gear.

Got a fantastic haircut at Charles Blades, near Jack London Square.

Thanks again for the pointers.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm glad to hear that your trip was a success! Flax was the first store I'd been to that carried Miquelrius notebooks ... only one now that I think about it.

Did you get caught in that rainstorm?

Top Bottom