What's new

Number of Passes - What is Traditional?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I must have watched my dad shave hundreds of times in the 'fifties, but I cannot recall any specifics, save for the gear he used. Somehow, I don't think he ever shaved against the grain, though; that is, I don't think I ever saw him hold his razor upside down and shave up.

Interesting question you post, Draconicsonic. My sense is that men of my dad's generation just grabbed a razor and shaved with little though of any "pass" protocols--most likely from having served in WWII.

My father taught me how to shave with a DE in 1980.He taught me to do 4 passes exactly like his father taught him.
The only difference is that he used a can of Noxzema (I suppose my grandfather used a brush/soap combo cause he was born in 1895),DE razor and did four consequtive passes over the same area without relathering of course (who has time for that?).
Being following his advice since than daily and getting BBS five minute shaves without problems.
I hadn't used a cart/disposable razor in my life up until the stupid airline rules against DE razors came in effect.
Shaving with a cart/disposable was a very underwhelming experience and still is (these things shave so SLOW cause they need constant rinsing so I need at least seven minutes for my shave).
I think that since most traditional barbers did multipass shaves back in the day most DE razor users followed suit.

Last edited:
I’m a fan of vintage razors and such. On occasion, I peruse vintage advertisements and have yet to see any mention of multiple passes being done with safety razors. I was hoping some folks with some experience could explain what is traditional when it comes to the number of passes.

It seems on internet forums like this, folks enjoy multiple pass shaves but I have a feeling this is not traditionally what was done with safety razors in the past (when they were the common shaving method). I hope some guys can provide some insight on this as I’m strangely curious.

Cheers
Then (as now in most circles, no doubt), I believe this was something a guy was just expected to know. If he didn't grow up watching Dad or an older brother shaving, he just had to figure it out for himself or suffer the social consequences of being poorly shaved. Over time, guys figured out what worked well, and what didn't work so well, but it wasn't (and isn't) broadly shared outside of forums like this one. Most men now don't give it much thought if they're not experiencing discomfort or inconvenience, and I don't expect it was any different in any past era. We who are trying to perfect our skills are a small minority. I think in any selected decade, you'd be hard pressed to find much consensus.

Back in the day my guess is that guys just wanted to get done and get out the door!

My multi-pass shaves these days mark me as an connoisseur. :a21::a21:

I remember watching my father shave and he used Williams soap, a boar brush and a Schick injector razor. He did one pass, but went in different directions depending on his beard and face. One and done seemed to be the way back in the 50’s and 60’s. Of course I also remember that he did not shave everyday but as a farmer it really didn’t matter.

I must have watched my dad shave hundreds of times in the 'fifties, but I cannot recall any specifics, save for the gear he used. Somehow, I don't think he ever shaved against the grain, though; that is, I don't think I ever saw him hold his razor upside down and shave up.

Interesting question you post, Draconicsonic. My sense is that men of my dad's generation just grabbed a razor and shaved with little though of any "pass" protocols--most likely from having served in WWII.

I suspect you’re right that most guys would’ve done whatever they felt was a normal shave. I suppose that really holds true now outside of forums.

I had never heard of passes until B&B. I only did one pass back in the early to mid sixties, and as far as I can remember that's all my father did.
I'm not sure what you would call what I do today. I lather the whole face, then shave one area at a time, using multiple directions as required, possibly rewetting, but not relathering.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It was only after joining B&B and watching shaving videos that I even knew that ‘passes’ was a thing. I only ever shaved north to south, and just accepted the result, whether close or not.

But OP raises an excellent and very interesting question concerning the genesis of the ‘3 pass shave.’ I’m eager to hear from the historians on this.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just do one top to bottom then one bottom to top
not sure if this is the right way to say it?
Me too, most days. North to South and South to North, maybe I'll do an East to West, depending upon how the winds are blowing, lol!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Trouble is nobody talked about shaving back then. Much like nobody talks about shaving now. Except for the small 1% of people like us on internet forums. Much of the vernacular we use here was very likely made up over the years. So to try to determine what the traditional amount of passes was way back when is impossible really. And of course, YMMV still applied even then. So just like today - 1 guy does a 1 pass shave, the next guy does a 5 pass shave, and everywhere in between.

It's all a personal preference.

I shave until I've finished, which is what my dad did, but I judge the shave by whether or not whiskers can be felt. If I can still feel them then more shaving is required. This tends to be a two-pass, two-lather shave. If I go for three passes my skin can get very soft which can result in weepers. I just keep going until the shave is completed - passes are a useful measurement but no more than that to me.

My father always shaved after a shower, used an Ever Ready boar brush to work in foam from a can, and shaved twice--"down," then "up." I don't think his grain was terribly complicated, but he was too pragmatic to fuss over changing razor direction too much.

He battled very heavy, wiry, dark stubble every morning which looked like 5 o'clock shadow "two hours later" (an exaggeration, but not too much) whatever he did.

I learned how to shave from Gillette and Schick TV commercials. My father used only an electric and never thought to "teach" me how to shave. So for me, it was a trial and error. That's one of the reasons, I think, that cartridges were able to make inroads. With multiple blades, you get, effectively, multiple passes in one.

From watching my father in the 70's, I'm pretty sure it was one pass with a few touch ups. I would guess he used a mixture of WTG above the chin and ATG/XTG under the chin and neck. My vague recollection was Wilkinson Sword blades, Gillette canned goo, and Mennen Afta or Skin Bracer.

From watching my father in the 70's, I'm pretty sure it was one pass with a few touch ups. I would guess he used a mixture of WTG above the chin and ATG/XTG under the chin and neck. My vague recollection was Wilkinson Sword blades, Gillette canned goo, and Mennen Afta or Skin Bracer.
I'm not to sure about all your Wtg,atg,xtg but your Dad got the job done
its all about your own technique
that's all there is to it mate

My paw paw did one pass all different directions and then a LOT of clean up. My dad did 2 passes one with and one atg. I do 3 and then a bit of clean up.

Top Bottom