What's new

Number of Passes - What is Traditional?

I believe that vintage barber manuals generally indicated a two pass shave was used to achieve the best results. The first pass was with the grain, and the second pass would vary. Sometimes a second pass with the grain was used, but it was generally stated that for the closest shaves, the second pass was against the grain.

On page 43 of 48, using the following link, there is a section titled "Shaving over the second time" that details this.

I did not meet your dad I am sure he was a great guy, he would fit right in on shave forums. It would be Interesting to see some die hard retro de shavers try to tell him he is doing it wrong, only to fall on deaf ears.

I believe that vintage barber manuals generally indicated a two pass shave was used to achieve the best results. The first pass was with the grain, and the second pass would vary. Sometimes a second pass with the grain was used, but it was generally stated that for the closest shaves, the second pass was against the grain.

On page 43 of 48, using the following link, there is a section titled "Shaving over the second time" that details this.

You are 100 percent right, we seem to pick a section we find Interesting and use it . Me I like to shave from the section that states, lather on a dry face and always shave with cold water. It works for me but According to most Hobbyist shavers I am in the Minority.

I did not meet your dad I am sure he was a great guy, he would fit right in on shave forums. It would be Interesting to see some die hard retro de shavers try to tell him he is doing it wrong, only to fall on deaf ears.

The amount of toilet paper stuck on his face after every shave is a clue he wasn't doing it right.

I am almost 74 years old. Getting a close shave requires more work now than it did when I was less than half of that age. Whiskers become tougher with age. Do not forget to add that into the comparisons.

Historically one or two passes, but there have always been B&B type aficionados that treated shaving as more than a daily task. From Bergrengren's The Perfect Gentleman, 1919:

"The world of shavers is divided into three classes: the ordinary shaver, the safety shaver, and the extraordinary-safety shaver, who buys each safety razor as soon as it is invented and is never so happy as when about to try a new one. To a shaver of this class, cost is immaterial. A safety-razor for a cent, with twenty gold-monogramed blades and a guaranty of expert surgical attendance if he cuts himself, would stir his active interest neither more nor less than a safety-razor for a hundred dollars, with one Cannotbedull blade and an iron-clad agreement to pay the makers an indemnity if he found it unsatisfactory. He buys them secretly, lest his wife justly accuse him of extravagance, and practises cunning in getting rid of them afterward; for to a conscientious gentleman throwing away a razor is a responsible matter."

I don’t think you should go “ because it’s tradition I’m going to shave like this “ just do what works for you. I personally will go one pass wtg,if I’m feeling fancey or I’m going out I’m do 2 wtg atg to get a bbs but most times I’m happy with a dfs.

I am almost 74 years old. Getting a close shave requires more work now than it did when I was less than half of that age. Whiskers become tougher with age. Do not forget to add that into the comparisons.

I agree. My beard is much tougher now that I am 77 in contrast to when I was in my 30's. If I shave twice a day I can get by with a two-pass shave. But if I shave once a day I do three or four passes.

I agree. My beard is much tougher now that I am 77 in contrast to when I was in my 30's. If I shave twice a day I can get by with a two-pass shave. But if I shave once a day I do three or four passes.
I ‘m also 77 and see no difference, except my beard is white gray now and seem to get more days between shaves. The color being lighter I think makes not shaving less obvious. Two or three days before it’s really needed.Where all different so it seems.

I ‘m also 77 and see no difference, except my beard is white gray now and seem to get more days between shaves. The color being lighter I think makes not shaving less obvious. Two or three days before it’s really needed.Where all different so it seems.
I am in the same boat and love it.

I picked up my Grandpa's DE when I was about 4 years old (snuck into the bathroom) and tried to do what I always saw he and my Dad do. I cut myself up so bad my parents gave me a plastic toy razor, and let me use a real can of goop. I absolutely loved that thing--I bet I did some 20 pass shaves with that piece of plastic. I felt so manly for a preschooler. Thank you all for jogging that memory.

I know it is not in line with the thread, but it was such a precious memory that I had forgotten all about until now--I had to share it with people who might understand.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I picked up my Grandpa's DE when I was about 4 years old (snuck into the bathroom) and tried to do what I always saw he and my Dad do. I cut myself up so bad my parents gave me a plastic toy razor, and let me use a real can of goop. I absolutely loved that thing--I bet I did some 20 pass shaves with that piece of plastic. I felt so manly for a preschooler. Thank you all for jogging that memory.

I know it is not in line with the thread, but it was such a precious memory that I had forgotten all about until now--I had to share it with people who might understand.
Thanks for sharing that!
Historically one or two passes, but there have always been B&B type aficionados that treated shaving as more than a daily task. From Bergrengren's The Perfect Gentleman, 1919:

"The world of shavers is divided into three classes: the ordinary shaver, the safety shaver, and the extraordinary-safety shaver, who buys each safety razor as soon as it is invented and is never so happy as when about to try a new one. To a shaver of this class, cost is immaterial. A safety-razor for a cent, with twenty gold-monogramed blades and a guaranty of expert surgical attendance if he cuts himself, would stir his active interest neither more nor less than a safety-razor for a hundred dollars, with one Cannotbedull blade and an iron-clad agreement to pay the makers an indemnity if he found it unsatisfactory. He buys them secretly, lest his wife justly accuse him of extravagance, and practises cunning in getting rid of them afterward; for to a conscientious gentleman throwing away a razor is a responsible matter."
Except for a few phrases I'd think that was written today.

As to beards changing as we age:

Mine seems denser and the hairs coarser. Also: my skin elasticity is to the point of being almost flabby, lol! Skin stretching is almost a necessity for BBS.

Thanks for sharing that!
Except for a few phrases I'd think that was written today.

As to beards changing as we age:

Mine seems denser and the hairs coarser. Also: my skin elasticity is to the point of being almost flabby, lol! Skin stretching is almost a necessity for BBS.
Amen to that.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Been shaving for more than 50 years, but don't recall taking formalized passes until logging on here ten or so years ago. Basically, I used to shave ATG, then clean up as needed. Worked reasonably well.

These days, I do take two passes, ATG and WTG, and clean up as necessary. My two interests are, 1.) getting a smooth shave and, 2.) avoiding the dreaded "old man's shave," the kind where you miss patches of whiskers so they stick out like desert oases.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can SO relate to the "dreaded old man's shave!"

And don't forget the "old man's fingers!" that don't feel the face as well, not to mention the old man eyes that have a hard time seeing those islands of hair until you are already at your destination and find said islands in the mirror of the restroom!

Top Bottom