What's new

Number of Passes - What is Traditional?

I’m a fan of vintage razors and such. On occasion, I peruse vintage advertisements and have yet to see any mention of multiple passes being done with safety razors. I was hoping some folks with some experience could explain what is traditional when it comes to the number of passes.

It seems on internet forums like this, folks enjoy multiple pass shaves but I have a feeling this is not traditionally what was done with safety razors in the past (when they were the common shaving method). I hope some guys can provide some insight on this as I’m strangely curious.

Cheers

Back when, I did a no nonsense two pass shave, with a Tech. Exception was boot camp; a speedy one pass against the grain was the norm.

Was this the norm? Dunno. Do not recall ever thinking about it fifty years ago.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Back when, I did a no nonsense two pass shave, with a Tech. Exception was boot camp; a speedy one pass against the grain was the norm.

Was this the norm? Dunno. Do not recall ever thinking about it fifty years ago.
I'm a two passer myself, with a little bit of touch-up if I feel the urge.

I never even encountered the concept of "passes" before I discovered B&B.

Me neither. That’s the whole point of the thread. But we’re “retro” DE shavers who grew up as cart shavers. Did you shave with a DE razor back before cart razors became ubiquitous? That’s the question being put forth. If so, then your pronouncement is meaningful. Were the old folks on the forum who grew up shaving with DE razors familiar with the concept of “passes” before the resurgence of DE shaving, and did they always do multiple of them?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Me neither. That’s the whole point of the thread. But we’re “retro” DE shavers. Did you shave with a DE razor back before cart razors became ubiquitous. That’s the question being put forth. Were the old folks on the forum who shaved with vintage DE razors before they were vintage familiar with the concept of “passes” before the resurgence of DE shaving, and did they always do multiple of them?
I did, and I wasn't. I just went till I figured I was finished. Same thing I did with the carts. We are just a bunch of weirdos.

One pass gets me far closer than my that Braun series 7000 ever did, but needing more of that smooth, I have found two passes gets the job done near perfectly for me. I'm certain I could get by with one pass if need be.

Well, I have never really thought in terms of passes, until reading here and elsewhere.

I start with that awkward under-nose area, use as many scrapes as it takes (sometimes more than 3?) but I like that bit properly mowed (usually with the Rockwell on R5).

Then I do the face: R5 again, and most of that only deserves, or needs, a scrape or two.

The neck is thinner skin and scantier hair, so it gets a plastic Wilkinson Sword skim.

Just for clarification, I’m not asking about how many passes you folks do. I’m curious about the concept of passes as it relates to what folks did in the past (ie pre-internet). Seems like doing several lathers and passes is an internet forum thing.

To paraphrase my grandfather when I was about eleven;
"Lather up and shave with the grain. If you need to get closer, lather up again and do another pass. Don't scrape the razor over an area without lather and never go against the grain."

My grandfather was retired NYPD. How he actually put it is not language for mixed company. Yes, he was a sailor in the Navy in WWII. Even then I'm pretty sure other sailors would have been bashful if they spoke as my grandfather.

I really miss him.

As far as I can recall, my father, who was born in the 1930s, did a one pass shave with his Gillette Superspeed, which he used every day, without fail. Mostly he shaved WTG, but in some areas he would probably go ATG or XTG, if that was easier. He wanted to look smart, but in as little time as possible, and that's the way he went about it.
If he wanted a really smooth shave, for a wedding or other event, he'd go to the barber he frequented for many decades for a straight shave.
Thinking about it a bit more, I also believe my father's shaving technique was probably not what B&B regulars would consider good. There would be fairly frequent mild curses as he shaved, when the razor bit home, and I suspect some degree of razor burn was pretty much accepted as inevitable.
Harry the barber, on the other hand, was an artist with his straights, which he honed meticulously, with a cigarette drooping from his lips as he chatted about that week's football results. He would shave the back of all his customers' necks with a straight when they had a haircut, as well as giving face shaves, and I don't remember anybody complaining about cuts. His haircuts, however, were pretty terrible -- short back and sides or pudding basin style.

Last edited:
I think "passes" must have started with online videos like YT where you can actually see it happening.

There's no particular reason to organise shaving into "passes". You can shave how you like.

Top Bottom