What's new

Now I understand why so many like Astra blades!

My first shave with an Astra (olive green pack)...wow, smooth and sharp, I didn't even use any Proraso pre and got DFS with two passes and minor touch-up!

Even better, the RazoRock tells me this was an almost perfect NIS, with only one tiny spot of sting on my entire face when applied.

Guess it's time to buy a large pack of Astras :w00t:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The low price of Astras is what makes them great when comparing them to other blades of the same sharpness and smoothness.

I'm having great results in them with my EJ89. The alum let me know how much better they were than the derby blades.

Good blades at a good price. I went through the sample pack using my ej89 and ended up settling on the Astras.

Somehow through all my ADs and experimenting, I only "discovered" Astras in the last year. They are really oustanding and a great value. I now include a 100-pack with most of my orders.....to combat bladapocolypse of course. :scared:

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Astra SPs are indeed a very fine blade.
I only bumped them in favour of the pink'n'blue Rapiras @ bestshave.net because #1 - no glue spots, #2 - it's more fun to use a different blade than everyone else. They shave very much like an Astra SP, maybe even a little better.

I've got a couple packs of crystals and feathers but I don't touch them ... Just use my astras... So much so I have 300 in reserve

I`ve been using Astra for around 20 years now. I got over 2000 Astra blades and I bought that much because I wanted my Astra in plastic cases before they went to card board packets and this should hold me for a while. Maybe why they can lower the prices on Astra is because it went to cardboard packaging? One blade lasts me minimum 1 week that`s how durable they are for me. I was very lucky to find out how good Astra is early on and I`ve tried other brand blades from time to time and I`ve always gone back to Astra. I don`t mind the wax spots and it won`t affect anyones shave in any way. Infact the wax spots might even help keep the blade more durable if any goes onto the edge. I should do some experimenting by rubbing some wax onto my blade to see if it helps in preventing corrosion and filling in the blade gaps.

Last edited:
Where are they for under 10? best I can find is 12$, thanks.

Amazon prices go up and down daily, sometimes hourly.

Put the $11.99 Astra SPs in your cart, but don't check out. Wait until they drop back under $10 and pull the trigger (note: the free shipping is only when you have 25 bucks of stuff, btw).

I just went back to an Astra SP this morning after a few months of SIs and Personna Lab Blues. Have to say it was a nice shave (and good value too!)

I`ve been using Astra for around 20 years now. I got over 2000 Astra blades and I bought that much because I wanted my Astra in plastic cases before they went to card board packets and this should hold me for a while. Maybe why they can lower the prices on Astra is because it went to cardboard packaging?

My take is P&G has decided Astra SP's current price based on their targeted (geographical) market, that is, distribution channels, not based on their manufacturing costs. I doubt making an Astra at PPI costs any less than making the more expensive 7 o'lock series blades at the same factory from the same steel (?) with the same coating material and procedure (?), etc. I could be wrong, though.

I don`t mind the wax spots and it won`t affect anyones shave in any way. Infact the wax spots might even help keep the blade more durable if any goes onto the edge. I should do some experimenting by rubbing some wax onto my blade to see if it helps in preventing corrosion and filling in the blade gaps.

How do you introduce corrosion into an Astra stainless blade in the first place? My 1960s stainless steel Gillettes are still corrosion free -- though no doubt better coated and of better grade steel; but you may still have to wait a few decades for your experiemnt to yield any tangible results...

Amazon prices go up and down daily, sometimes hourly.

Put the $11.99 Astra SPs in your cart, but don't check out. Wait until they drop back under $10 and pull the trigger

Not wanting to sound like a bad sport, but seriously? Why not save those two bucks rather by drinking one fewer cup of coffee this week or driving one mile less than by sitting at the computer and waiting for the price to drop two dollars, saving a whopping 2 cents a blade. I just had two cups of coffee after my lunch at 75 cents a cup. There went the Astra savings I would have scored... these blades are so cheap that it is quite incredible. Locally, I would have to pay USD 1.00 a blade... so I would just grab that pack and call it a good-value purchase of a year's worth of blades.

Last edited:
My take is P&G has decided Astra SP's current price based on their targeted (geographical) market, that is, distribution channels, not based on their manufacturing costs. I doubt making an Astra at PPI costs any less than making the more expensive 7 o'lock series blades at the same factory from the same steel (?) with the same coating material and procedure (?), etc. I could be wrong, though.

Well I sure wish my plastic packaging ones were $8.00 per carton of a 100 blades and since changing over to cardboard it has gone cheaper than what I have been paying over the plastic ones. Obviously we both have a theory. I did mention "maybe" I didn`t state it as a fact.

How do you introduce corrosion into an Astra stainless blade in the first place? My 1960s stainless steel Gillettes are still corrosion free -- though no doubt better coated and of better grade steel; but you may still have to wait a few decades for your experiemnt to yield any tangible results...

My meaning for corrosion is oxidation is when a blade gets worn while being used even though it`s claim of SS and not because of storage long term. I`ve seen high magnifications of the after effects of various SS blades used after some shave periods with corrosion. I`ve used my Astra Platinum for a certain period and the blade oxidized so even though blades may be labelled as Stainless doesn`t mean it isn`t absolutely rust free especially if you plan on using it for along period of a time which I sometimes do. My meaning of experimenting wasn`t for archival storage with wax but coating it with wax every so often while shaving to prevent corrosion despite it being SS. Every blade company have different chromium % obviousy the higher the more resistant to rust so being labeled SS doesn`t guarantee no rust.

I just went back to an Astra SP this morning after a few months of SIs and Personna Lab Blues. Have to say it was a nice shave (and good value too!)

It could even be that Astras are exactly the same as some other blade simply re-branded for some geographical marketing plan.

Top Bottom