What's new

Not much talk about St. James of London

Haven't seen St. James of London mentioned much around here. I have three tubs and absolutely love the stuff. Performance is on par with the AoS creams and the scents are fantastic.

Totally missed those threads, gents. Thanks for the read. FYI, they are selling for 15% off if ordered directly off their site- coupon code WSR

I have no familiarity with the brand, although it does look interesting. Whether that interest will lead to a purchase is questionable. For the time being, the product range is limited (shaving cream and a/s gel), and is more expensive than T&H. Given that I have outstanding creams coming out my backside, and have no need for an a/s gel (I'm a balm guy), I can't say the brand is calling my name at the moment.

Curious about this brand too. Products seem of very good quality but is their branding a little too, I don't know, polished? Not a lot or ardent fans that I can recall.

St James is under new ownership and management as of a year or two ago.
They reformulated the line and added a couple scents, plus some nice aftershaves and colognes.
Very 'current' formulations, alcohol- and paraben-free; first class packaging.
Creams are still made by Creightons.

View attachment 568738

...but is their branding a little too, I don't know, polished?

Their brand history page claims they were founded in 1953 by Creightons. That seems odd, given their limited product range, and the fact they're not well known among the membership here. Perhaps it's a brand that has been in mothballs for the last several decades, which Creightons has decided to revive. Looking at Creightons's brands, it seems St. James is their bid to enter into the upscale shaving market; ironically, it seems they want a piece of the same pie their own clients (T&H, Trumper, TOBS and DRH) have had for years.

St James is under new ownership and management as of a year or two ago.

I missed this prior to my last post. Creightons lists St. James as one if its brands. Who really owns St. James? (We know Creightons makes creams for the Three T's and DRH, but in that capacity they function as an outsourced manufacturer with no ownership interests in those brands.)

i have a tube of l&g from crayton that they sent me as a sample. It s good stuff. Performance is top shelves and the sent have a nice twist. The consistancy is more liquid then the 3 t though similar to t&h uc

I like it so much that i bought a tub from creighton on sale of patchouli and mandarin.

i have a tube of l&g from crayton that they sent me as a sample. It s good stuff. Performance is top shelves and the sent have a nice twist. The consistancy is more liquid then the 3 t though similar to t&h uc

I like it so much that i bought a tub from creighton on sale of patchouli and mandarin.

Quite ironically they are hard to acquire in london

I got a nice PM from Brittney at St. James of London, explaining the current status of the brand. Sarimento's information is correct. The Creighton's website was a bit outdated, and has now been corrected. Here's what she told me:

StJamesBrittney said:
When Creighton’s created St James of London in 1953 they only sold it to a select UK retailer or two in years past so not to compete with other brands they manufacture for. Creightons owned the brand until 2013 when we, the former T&H North American Distributor purchased brand/product line from Creightons. Creightons still manufactures the products and acts as a warehouse for the products in the UK. However, they do not own the brand.

Not to sound like a shill for the company, but I've had great dealings with Brittney in the past when ordering from the former T&H NA in Chicago. I appreciate her reaching out, and look forward to trying her brand.

I got a nice PM from Brittney at St. James of London, explaining the current status of the brand. Sarimento's information is correct. The Creighton's website was a bit outdated, and has now been corrected. Here's what she told me:

Not to sound like a shill for the company, but I've had great dealings with Brittney in the past when ordering from the former T&H NA in Chicago. I appreciate her reaching out, and look forward to trying her brand.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts. I haven't gone back to T&H since discovering SJOL.

I have the cedarwood and clarysage plus the mandarin and patchouli. By far the BEST cream ever. Slickness, cushion and the overall performance of this cream.cant be beat. Maggards is selling these creams now. Before you could only get it from beautycreightons website or the St James website. I have used a lot of creams but this one is the King of all creams.

Mandarin and Patchouli is the best smelling cream I own. I love it. As far as performance, it's right under T&H Ultimate Comfort for me. It's a wonderful cream worth the $ IMO.

Currently I have the Cedarwood & Clarysage, Sandalwood & Bergamot and the Black Pepper & Lime and they are my favorite creams period. Very slick, and they have smells that are some of my favorite of any product I've ever used, soap or cream.

The greatest thing about every scent, cream, post shave I've tried from St. James of London? NONE of them irritate my skin in anyway. I haven't had a single reaction to their products.

The Sandalwood & Bergamot is a fantastic cologne type scent, my wife loves it and it sticks around. If you guys go to their website, they have a $5 sampler pack with some creams, post shaves and so forth in them. After trying that, I purchased several.

Mandarin and Patchouli is the best smelling cream I own. I love it. As far as performance, it's right under T&H Ultimate Comfort for me. It's a wonderful cream worth the $ IMO.

I've been using SJOL Lavender & Geranium this week. I think it compares favorably to Ultimate Comfort in terms of both scent and performance. The bonus is that it costs quite a bit less, particularly with the B&B discount.

The bonus is that it costs quite a bit less, particularly with the B&B discount.

Technically, it only costs less with the B&B discount. At list price, St. James is more per unit than T&H, albeit not by much. The discount does make St. James less expensive, but as has been mentioned, it only applies when ordering through St. James's own website. That means the shipping charges will offset the savings on smaller orders.

All that said, I do think it is a very good cream, based on the scented samples I've tried. I'm holding off formulating a full opinion, or offering comments, until I can get my hands on the lavender geranium cream, since that didn't come in the sample pack. I think it's also worth noting that if my experiences are any indication, St. James's customer service is first rate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom