What's new

Not all .22LR created equal.

I want to walk back what I said in one thread about any .22LR ammo will work. There are some oddities like powderless cartridges and shotshell cartridges that everyody needs to be aware of, especially since in these desperate times (for ammo shoppers anyway) there might be a tendency to grab whatever is on the shelf.

The powderless cartridges, for example, don't generate enough gas to cycle a semi-auto pistol nor clear the barrel of a rifle. My sister got me a couple of boxes of these as a favor a few weeks ago. The powderless bit is in pretty small print on the box. I didn't realize they were anything "special" until I stumled across the link above and though it was a familiar lookig box. Fortunately she only got me a couple of 50 packs. I'm either going to have to give them to my father for use in his revolver or go buy myself that derringer I've been looking at.

The shotshells are pretty lame, unless you are shooting sparrows in a barn. My uncle used to use them inside a metal machine shed with limited success.

I'm sure these special cartridges server certain niche markets well enough. This is just a reminder that with a lot of unusual brands around that it is really important to read those labels thoroughly.

Don't knock that powderless ammo, I use it all the time around the house so the neighbors don't know what I'm doing. Works great with most bolt guns although I find some older models...namely Remington's have tighter bores and will not shoot them at all. Nothing a light tap with a rod wont fix. Modern .22's are all loose enough to fire them with little or no problems. Some semi autos will hand cycle so your still not at a loss if that's all you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to see unless you blow the video up but there are two 8 inch stove top covers laying at the creek line in the darkest area of the flowers just right of the red maple tree near the middle of the screen. Plenty accurate enough to get some cheap range time in.

My favorite thing is suppressed with a cz452... all you hear is the firing pin drop and the bullet impacting the target.

What you may have is "subsonic" 22. Keep it around. As others have said it makes little to no noise. My RWS air rifle makes more noise as it sends the pellet out above 1130 fps which is the point you get the "crack" (pellet is traveling over the speed of sound so you get the crack sound). My Brno 22 bolt with subsonic makes less noise than the latch on the sliding door does :001_smile

there are other "obscure" 22 rounds like WRF (made for the early Winchesters and a longer case than 22 LR) and .22 WRA which was made for the Winchester model 1903 automatic (different case and won't fit a standard 22 LR chamber). You won't run into these unless you want to spend big bucks as they are so rare that single rounds are a collector's item. typically you will find .22 LR, .22 short, and .22 magnum when you are out and about.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
hmmm now this is interesting. You are shooting a round and gun that would otherwise make a loud enough noise to alert the neighbors and violate the laws of "discharging a weapon in city limits"....but because it is powder less it sounds like a BB gun?

to bad they wont cycle through a handgun. I could theoretically set up a target range in my backyard. of course I would never do that.

hmmm now this is interesting. You are shooting a round and gun that would otherwise make a loud enough noise to alert the neighbors and violate the laws of "discharging a weapon in city limits"....but because it is powder less it sounds like a BB gun?

to bad they wont cycle through a handgun. I could theoretically set up a target range in my backyard. of course I would never do that.

Parlor pistols and rifles were very popular 100-150 years ago in homes and drinking establishments (my how times have changed). They shot a .22 and even .177 special rounds that were propelled the same way (no powder, only the primer cap) and were designed to be used inside.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Parlor pistols and rifles were very popular 100-150 years ago in homes and drinking establishments (my how times have changed). They shot a .22 and even .177 special rounds that were propelled the same way (no powder, only the primer cap) and were designed to be used inside.

That was a cool learning session. "may I be excused to go plinking in the den?" :laugh:

one could still do this in their home I guess? a big enough space why not.

You can hand cycle them with a handgun but they are louder unless your running a suppressor. Loud enough that I don't use them in a hand gun ITBY unless I am running a silencer.

They LOVE my full auto paint ball gun... I don't let them close enough to see it though. I've got one guy convinced that the tank is hidden around the barrel... Only shoot it off the deck though so I can police my brass.

Integrated barrel, slows 115g to sub sonic levels. Although it needs 9mm nato or +p rounds to be controllable, otherwise bulk ammo does not toss the bolt back far enough to catch the sear. Only hot stuff with that barrel.

That was a cool learning session. "may I be excused to go plinking in the den?" :laugh:

one could still do this in their home I guess? a big enough space why not.
Yup, a simple Walmart pellet gun trap (as long as its rated for .22 pellets) will stop it. ORRRR a simple box packed with old towls, or news papers, or phone books...ect ect..

I just knocked a hole in the basement foundation and shoot in to the dirt anymore.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Don't knock that powderless ammo, I use it all the time around the house so the neighbors don't know what I'm doing. Works great with most bolt guns although I find some older models...namely Remington's have tighter bores and will not shoot them at all.
OK, I saw all the warnings in the link I provided and was in a panic. Maybe I should be because my only non-auto 22's are older Remington rifles...
They would probably fire from a semi-auto handgun, but you may have to **** it after each round. Phantomhive may be able to comment on that. I haven't had time to view his videos, yet.
I just knocked a hole in the basement foundation and shoot in to the dirt anymore.
That kind of but not quite reminds me this basement target range from a 1932 Modern Mechanix

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just how quite are those sub sonic .22 rounds? I bought 2 boxes of the CCI Quite to shoot from a single shot .22 to dispose of a black and white critter, but haven't gotten the chance to see just how much noise they don't make.

Med level .22 BB gun quiet. The SC rounds are less powerful than the quiets and thus more silent. I use the quiet ammo with suppressors a lot, a little loud for my neighborhood unsuppressed. They do have more knock down power than the SC rounds.

Me and a buddy did a .22 ammo test one day, this may be helpful.

I had a lot of fun playing with a CCI load known as a CB Cap (conical ball) in 22 long. You could actually see it as it went down range if your flinch was under control. Ran a bucket full of them through a cheap Stevens single shot. It was accurate and adequate for dealing with small pests at close range. Turtle have you ever heard of a group that goes by the initials ASSRA?

I Iove the aguilas! Honestly the first time I shot them I thought the first 5 rounds were all misfires. Nope, just quieter than the hammer!

I seem to recall reading that our modern .22 is actually a direct descendant of the parlor pistols. The inventor, a Frenc fellow, put a miniature ball (by the standards of the day) sized to fit directly over an off the shelf percussion cap. The percussion caps were sized to fit a .22 nipple, so that was the caliber of the gun.

Top Bottom