What's new

Noodler's Bullet Proof Ink

I'm sorry that the space to post this question was created by the unfortunate spot on The Knize's shirt! Reading the name of the thread made me wonder if the B&B ink is actually in the works. Anybody know? I'm OK until the end of the summer, but I'm going to need to replenish my supplies sometime before September. I'd hate to give up on the B&B buy...

Chris the B&B ink is more than alive!
I am happy to say that I have a sample and it is very pleasant to use.
We anticipate that we will be having an announcement very soon.

Channing, why not taking the shirt to a tailor and have it made into a short sleeve dress shirt.......:lol:

Great idea! Maybe I can even keep double cuffs!:001_smile

Actually, I wonder if a tailr could not simply make the inside of the double cuff the outside and thus hide the ink spot on the inside. Not a bad idea perhaps.

I'm sorry that the space to post this question was created by the unfortunate spot on The Knize's shirt! Reading the name of the thread made me wonder if the B&B ink is actually in the works. Anybody know? I'm OK until the end of the summer, but I'm going to need to replenish my supplies sometime before September. I'd hate to give up on the B&B buy...

Ink tease :lol:

<but I'm going to need to replenish my supplies sometime before September. >

Really! Just as is true as to scents, I cannot imagine, given the stock I have of them, ever running out of fp ink!

I guess I can imagine running out of my favorites.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I guess you can take solace in the fact that it's a cheap dress shirt. :001_rolle On the plus side, maybe all that polyester can help make the ink slightly less bulletproof?

I guess you can take solace in the fact that it's a cheap dress shirt. :001_rolle On the plus side, maybe all that polyester can help make the ink slightly less bulletproof?

There is no polyester in any dress shirt I own!

And would that this was a "cheap dress" shirt. This would never happen if I were wearing a shirt from Costco or even an old well-worn shirt, I had gotten my use out of, right?

This one was fairly new of more or less middle range in price. Thanks goodness it was not one of my Thomas Pink shirts, or even one of my Brooks Brothers shirts.

I suppose if I am going to have anything to do with a fountain pen on a particular day, I should be wearing Costco! I cannot see wearing a polyester dress shirt no matter what!

Thanks Jim! That's great news--I'll definitely hold off.

<but I'm going to need to replenish my supplies sometime before September. >

Really! Just as is true as to scents, I cannot imagine, given the stock I have of them, ever running out of fp ink!

I guess I can imagine running out of my favorites.

For me, it depends on how much writing I'm doing and what I'm writing with. Often I don't travel with fountain pens: under unfavorable conditions, I'll write with a pencil or maybe some kind of specialized pens. This summer I decided to go with just fountain pens, so I'm burning through a lot of ink. I'll also be doing a lot of writing when I get home.

Honestly fountain pens are not one of my things that I collect. I see them in a more utilitarian light--they're tools. But, like a good watch, I want them to be effective, reliable and pleasant to use. I also have a bit of a superstition too. When I'm working on a project, I don't like to change color or what I'm writing on. So what I start with, I want to finish with. If I can have a nice supply of B&B ink to do that, that'll be great.

It is pretty easy to get Noodlers Bulletproof stains off of cotton/linen shirts. First get a pair of scissors...

I meant to post this before but, at my haberdasher's suggestion, I picked up a couple of shirts for traveling that he insists won't stain. They're also no iron, something that I don't actually care for in a shirt. However, he said that high temperature cleaning will damage the fabric treatment that makes them stain resistant in the first place. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the company is "Andrew J." The selection he had came in a number of conservative colors and maybe a pattern--I didn't look that far. I just got two white with French cuffs. As I recall, they were $85. I don't have them with me or I'd check, but I want to say that--apartment from the resin that they're treated with--they're 100% cotton. He's normally a very quiet, Southern gentleman and the only other time I've seen him get excited is when he shows me a new tie or handkerchief that features Carolina blue in it. But he was very enthusiastic about these shirts, saying that several of his customers have told him stories about easily removing jam, wine and...(the point of my story)...ink! I haven't spilled anything on them yet, but the white has remained sharp after a number of washings.

I meant to post this before but, at my haberdasher's suggestion, I picked up a couple of shirts for traveling that he insists won't stain. They're also no iron, something that I don't actually care for in a shirt. However, he said that high temperature cleaning will damage the fabric treatment that makes them stain resistant in the first place. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the company is "Andrew J." The selection he had came in a number of conservative colors and maybe a pattern--I didn't look that far. I just got two white with French cuffs. As I recall, they were $85. I don't have them with me or I'd check, but I want to say that--apartment from the resin that they're treated with--they're 100% cotton. He's normally a very quiet, Southern gentleman and the only other time I've seen him get excited is when he shows me a new tie or handkerchief that features Carolina blue in it. But he was very enthusiastic about these shirts, saying that several of his customers have told him stories about easily removing jam, wine and...(the point of my story)...ink! I haven't spilled anything on them yet, but the white has remained sharp after a number of washings.

Given my general clumsiness, sounds like something I should be looking into!

The white staying sharp after a number of washings is a plus, too. Does anyone else find that professionally laundered white shirts, as most of mine are, never seem again as sparkling white as they were when they came out of the original package brand new?

One thing I like about the all cotton non-iron shirts (well the ones that have good non-iron properties which varies hugely from brand to brand) is that I can add "bluing" to the rinse cycle. Seems to make a big difference is how white the white looks!

Thanks Jim! That's great news--I'll definitely hold off.

For me, it depends on how much writing I'm doing and what I'm writing with. Often I don't travel with fountain pens: under unfavorable conditions, I'll write with a pencil or maybe some kind of specialized pens. This summer I decided to go with just fountain pens, so I'm burning through a lot of ink. I'll also be doing a lot of writing when I get home.

Honestly fountain pens are not one of my things that I collect. I see them in a more utilitarian light--they're tools. But, like a good watch, I want them to be effective, reliable and pleasant to use. I also have a bit of a superstition too. When I'm working on a project, I don't like to change color or what I'm writing on. So what I start with, I want to finish with. If I can have a nice supply of B&B ink to do that, that'll be great.

Wow, ever think about getting one of those computer things with what they call "word processing" software? I hear they even make them sort of portable these days! :001_smile:001_smile Might save some arthritis in one's hands for one thing. That is a lot of writing. It has been decades since I wrote very much at all in my own hand rather than on a computer.

<Honestly fountain pens are not one of my things that I collect. I see them in a more utilitarian light--they're tools. But, like a good watch, I want them to be effective, reliable and pleasant to use.>

Me, too. Although I find that the better pens have less trouble with leakage, start up each time more consistently, do not skip, and that type of things. I do not like light fps, and the less expensive good branded pens seem to be very light.

I do like the amazingly inexpensive, good-looking, heavy Chinese fps in a broad nib. They are far from reliable, have some leakage problems I guess, can skip sometimes, and rarely startup again well after they have been put away even for a day. But I think they write pretty nicely when they do not skip, and the feel good in my hand. But I really do not feel the urge to collect fps for their looks or anything much like that, either.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Great idea! Maybe I can even keep double cuffs!:001_smile

Actually, I wonder if a tailr could not simply make the inside of the double cuff the outside and thus hide the ink spot on the inside. Not a bad idea perhaps.

...maybe even French Cuffs.....imagine these on a short sleeve shirt with some nice bling cuff links:001_tt2:

Wow, ever think about getting one of those computer things with what they call "word processing" software? I hear they even make them sort of portable these days! :001_smile:001_smile Might save some arthritis in one's hands for one thing. That is a lot of writing. It has been decades since I wrote very much at all in my own hand rather than on a computer.

I vary a lot on how I do things. But I always have to make notes while I'm working, and I haven't found any electronic gear that will work to my satisfaction. So far, the notebook seems to work best. Then I transcribe all my notes to my laptop in the evening. If I'm writing something long, I tend to go back and forth between my laptop and a legal pad.

<does anyone have any ideas for getting a dried spot of Noodler's bullet proof ink off the cuff of a dress shirt?

Have been able to get such ink out of shirt fabric if I got to it before it dried, but somehow I overlooked this one. No idea how it got there, of course.>

Wanted to report back that I cannot blame Noodler's bullet proof inks for this one. The black impenetrible inkl like stain on two of my shirts turned up to be the black latex-type rubber part of the dropper in my EO bottle of scent from Nancy Boy, which had tipped over in the console of my car, so that that rubber was liquified by the EO (who would have thought!) and made the worst, stickiest, most staining substance I have ever come across. The worst is that it was invisible in the flat black console interrior. And, "no," I was never able to get it out of my shirts.

I am going to try some acetone though, if I can find any around the house. I suppose fingernail polish remover is ofter mostly acetone! This stuff was truly the worst.

Top Bottom