What's new

what clothing/shoes/similar related items should a "gentleman" "have"?

The clothes bruch thread broad this topic to mind. I think many folks used to have a specific idea of at least what every gentleman should have on him, nearly at all times. I think most such rules are out the window, as far as one one needs to carry around, but I still think that every "gentleman" (not exactly sure what I mean by "gentleman" but I suppose I mean a guy that has to wear a suit and polished shoes from time to time--a lot of this stuff goes to dressier clothes) should own certain "stuff." :001_smile

Thought I would start making a list, even though it seems a bit arrogant. Some of this may go to what should every adult own. Part of it goes to no gentleman or adult should ever be "helpless" about something that is foreseeible. That is, evenutally one is going to need a bandaid! So keep some around! Sorry about the randowm order. And sorry if this exercise is annoying and useless! I assume that folks with have things like underwear, paper towels, etc.:

1. clothes brush--in addtion to or in substitution for one of thos double sided sticky roller things

2. reasonable horse hair or similar shoe brush

3. some real wax or cream shoe polish--not just liquid or silicon sponge stuff

4. cufflinks--do not have to wear them, just have them; you do not want to not buy a double cuff shirt because you have zero cufflinks

5. at least one pair of braces/suspenders--not sure why I think this

6. more than one pair of shoes

7. at least one pair of black lace up dress shoes

8. at least one pair of leather shiny loafer-type shoes, at least one pair not in black

9. cotton or lined handerchiefs--not saying you have to carry them around, but sometimes you should--not talking pocket squares here, they are a different thing

10. small pocket knife with multiple purspose "blades"--something small and discrete, for one thing no opening plastic wrapped items with one's teeth! it used to be an absolute rule that gentleman always have a little knife with him--a gentleman should not be helpless

11. a navy blue blazer

12. khakis

13. jeans

14. pocket flask--not sure about this one

15. cigar cutter--not sure about this one

16. cork screw

17. finger and toe nail clippers

18. nose and ear hair trimmer

19. a dressy hat of some kind--does not have to be that dressy, but at least one hat that goes okay with a suit or sports coat

20. a sports coat (in addtion to a blazer, of course)--something less formal that a blazer

21. at least one cologne/edt type scent

22. at least one aftershave product

23. I am not going to say a gentleman has to own wet shaving stuff, but if he does, a styptic pencil or powder

24. a pair of pliers, a few wrenches, several sizes and types of screw drivers

25. a working flashlight

26. duct tape

27. a watch of some sort--I do not think a gentleman should be exclusively dependent on a cell phone for the time, not that one always has to carry a watch--just own one or more

28. a good pen of some sort

29. some decent stationary

30. some postage stamps

31. a USB storage drive

33. a computer of some sort and internet access

34. a cell/smart phone of some sort

35. a billfold/wallet of some sort

36. bandaids and anticeptic or anti bacterial ointment

37. scissors

38. at least a paring knife, something like a Chef's knife, and something in between like a boning knife

39. latex or plastic gloves

40. an assortment of rags

41. an assortment of cleaning supplies

44. a bed frame--not just a mattress on the floor

45. toothbrush, tooth paste, mouthwash, dental floss

46. various types of towels--bath, hand, dish, more than one of each

47. napkins--paper is okay by me, but one should not be relying on paper towels, or heaven forbid, Kleenex when it comes to food

48. talcum powder

49. pots, pans, dishes and glasses (not just paper plates and disposable cups), coffee mugs

50. carry something to write with and write on--nothing worse than not being able to make a simple note about something--again, a foreseeible need!

51. deodorant

52. some socks that are other than all white

53. not sure, but maybe a topcoat. I do not think I have one that fits right now, nore a rain coat--not sure that is bad of me or not

Lots of stuff, eh. I may have strayed from a gentleman theme, but what the heck?

A shotgun, a hunting dog, a horse and saddle, a manservant, golf clubs, a tennis racket, a squash racket, a polo mallet (lacrosse stick?), a bottle of Scotch, ice, Cuban cigars, a humidor, good wines stored in a wine cave or cellar, condoms, high thread-count sheets, driving gloves and shoes, a sports or sporting car, a garage, a mistress, a billiard table, leather brief case/bag, a mountain bike, a road bike, skis and ski clothing, a tuxedo, a tux shirt, tie, and waist coat or cumberbund, country club membership, a country house, a pied de terre????:001_smile

Er, that's a long list and I'm just up! I'd say I can't disagree with most of those items, but won't supply my own comprehensive list. REALLY not sure about talcum powder and a few others. Certainly there are some things a man could be considered to be censureously uncultured if he is without, even if he kicks about in T-shirts and jeans almost all the time. I won't try to specify the number of these items- we all know you need to let shoes rest etc.
Polished leather shoes
Sports Jacket
Dress trousers
Collared shirt and tie
Wallet (!)
Hipflask
Wine-opener
A book he plans to read when he has time
Penknife
Screwdriver set, tape and superglue
Needle and thread
A sense of courtesy and decorum
A working knowledge of the better restuarants in his area
The ability to talk to an attractive woman without blushing or being pervy.
The ability to switch to soft drinks when he's getting a bit too tipsy

The finest thing a man can posess is common sense and an awareness of the world around him. With that, he'd probably know that he needs most of those things you listed.
On Topic: I probably have 3/4 of the items you listed, and I especially liked 31,39,40,44. A USB storage drive, disposable gloves, rags and a bed frame all come in handy, and are must-haves.

That's a long list. Looks like you've a "Dexter" kit hidden in there. Boning knife, duct tape, flashlight... Oh, you need to add some plastic sheets in there and you're good to go!

I forgot to put in one I was thinking of when I started the list: shoe trees! And definitely a needle and thread.

<common sense and an awareness of the world around him>

These are things are far too rare and costly to acquire even for a gentleman! I agree they are the finest of things to have!

<A good woman.>

Another hard thing to find. Barring a "good" woman, maybe several not all that bad women. Or, joking, maybe a trophy wife?!

And yes:
<A sense of courtesy and decorum>
<A working knowledge of the better restuarants in his area>

You bet. A gentleman should have some manners, and a knowledge of what he should do in various circumstances, even if he does not always do that!

I agree with most of the list. I think a few things I can do without and still be a gentleman.

I think every man should have at least one suit. If you only have one I think grey is a good option over black and can be worn to all but the most formal of gatherings.

I do not agree with the Navy Blue Blazer. I do not think it a necessary component. I own a few sport coats, but no blazer, I dont like metal buttons.

I think requiring a gentlemen to have a cigar cutter is a bit much. I will never smoke so it would be silly for me to have one.

I def agree with the grooming tools, if you do not take care of your personal hygene then you are definitely not a gentlemen, or a man with any type of class for that matter.

I think a gentlemen should have a working knowledge of the kitchen and how to cook. I also think they should be able to make simple home repairs, or the ability to learn how which everyone does.

Oh and I think he should have quality sheets to go on said bed on said bedframe.

Thought of a few more. Sorry to dominate this thread and not give others a chance.

--at least some clothes hangers other than the wire ones that come free from the cleaners including some from which a pair of slacks can be hung on a reasonable basis

--collar stays

--a steam iron and/or a clothes steamer

I know that the cigar cutter is a stretch and I intentionally did not list cigars. I guess my thinking is that a gentlemen is from time to time in the company of other gentlemen, and some or at least one of them are/is going to smoke cigars. And there may come a time when one of them wants to smoke a cigar, and had the cigar, but does not have a cigar cutter with him. As far as I can tell, it is darn hard to cut a cigar properly with anything but a cigar cutter of some type. So it is sort of a part of being prepared. On the other hand, a gentleman who smokes cigars, and has cigars with him, should have the presence of mind to carry his own darn cutter!

Do folks actually have black suits, rather than charcoal suits? That is black suits without say some stripe in them. I do not know if I have ever seen a solid black suit other than on an undertaker. If I owned just one suit, it wouild be either navy or medium gray. Nothing wrong with charcoal gray at all. Just maybe not as versitile. Althought if one is gong to use it just for weddings and funerals, maybe charcoal is great.

I think one of the things a gentleman was expected to be able to do was to cook some simple things.

Actually, I am guessing that back in the day a gentleman was expected to be able to not only ride a horse, but know how to properly saddle one, and take care of it, water it, groom it, and feed it after a ride. Assemble a detachable collar shirt properly. Negotiate spats.

A gentleman should know how to make a bed. How to set a dinner table. Which fork to use.

How to open a bottle of wine and pour a glass. (No more than half full gentlemen!)

A gentleman should own some real wine glases. Juice glasses don't do it!

Show know how to operate a charcoal and/or gas grill and be able to cook, say a steak, properly on said grill.

How to make coffee in a coffer maker.

How to change a flat tire, even if you always avoid doing it yourself. How to check the oil in a car.

"A man should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Lazarus Long

Not exactly detailed as a gentleman, however I feel that covers most bases. Of course, to handle such tasks, one would assume all tools, clothes, devices or whatever are already accounted for.

In fact, gentlemen in the age of the horse would almost never water or groom a horse- he would know whether it had been done right, even if he didn't know how to actually do it right. I'm afraid, TK, a properly filled wine glass is never half-full. Red wine should be served in a Burgunder, and only filled 1/4 to 1/5th, depending on the size of the glass (which should be a pint in volume). White wine should be filled about 1/3 full for the appropriate glass, which should hold about 3/5 of a pint.
I totally agree on the wire coathanger, which should be outlawed
Collar stays? Really?
Oh, and I've cut a cigar perfectly using a Mora Clipper in carbon steel. Looked like it'd been done with a laser!

A manservant, a butler, and a chauffeur. The chaffeur must respond to the name "James".

Gentlemen who have fallen on hard times may combine their manservant and chauffeur into a single person, but two distinct uniforms must always be worn for each set of duties.

Cordless telephones are too crass - something less ephemeral is more appropriate. The phone must be carried to a gentleman, wherever he may be, and presented on a silver platter, typically by the butler. For this reason it is wise to maintain, in excess of food and tea service considerations, at least one silver platter per telephone.

I would add a Popiel's Pocket Fisherman. Hey, ya never know.

Two pocket fisherman. For the price of one.

A manservant, a butler, and a chauffeur. The chaffeur must respond to the name "James".

Gentlemen who have fallen on hard times may combine their manservant and chauffeur into a single person, but two distinct uniforms must always be worn for each set of duties.

Cordless telephones are too crass - something less ephemeral is more appropriate. The phone must be carried to a gentleman, wherever he may be, and presented on a silver platter, typically by the butler. For this reason it is wise to maintain, in excess of food and tea service considerations, at least one silver platter per telephone.

That's realy funny!

Every gentleman needs to have a selection of angling gear, at least three shot guns, one for skeet, one for trap and one with which to hunt. Several rifles are needed, one for practice, one for small to mid-size game and one for large game. A gentleman ought to be proficient in fisticuffs, with a sword and a knife.

Last edited:
It's not often that I totally disagree with other posters here (except for Fozzy!).

A gentleman (or a lady) is not defined by what he owns but rather by his behaviour. So my list:

1. Manners
2. Compassion
3. Empathy & Sympathy
4. Drive, Motivation, Initiative
5. Integrity
6. Patience
7. Understanding
8. Maturity
9. Grooming

Granted, age old definitions of Gentlemen and Ladies were based upon refinements that only came with wealth but only the manners and the grooming are purchasable with just a little money. And even that is arguable. A person who shows up to a funeral, a wedding, a graduation (etc.) dressed in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops has little manners. But, I've met many a gentleman wearing bib overalls.

Top Bottom