What's new

noob with a question...

Hello all B&B members!

First, I'll start with an introduction on how I came to this community. I am 26, and prior to this past week I think I can honestly say I have actually shaved (electric or cart) less than 50 times in my life... even that number may be too high. Simply stated, it was always a horrible experience that ended in terrible razor burn and those little whiteheads that look and feel horrible. So as a result I got away with a beard trimmer without the guard. Luckily I have never had a job that required me to be clean shaven.

Not exactly sure what the series of events were, but out of the blue someone shared the "dollar shave club" brand video with me because they thought it was entertaining. Being a curious guy, I started comparing the cost of those blades to mass marketed multi-blade cartridge nightmares which led me to do a search for other's thoughts on the same subject. Low and behold (again, not sure how), I stumbled upon geofatboy's and mantic59's videos discussing DE and Straight razor shaving. I'm one of those guys that really likes learning new things... especially when its the more "traditional" method of doing something. So I watched, and watched, and read, and watched, and suddenly I found B&B. Big mistake! Talk about a time suck - a fantastic one to be sure - but an "oh crap, that was an hour? I thought it was 5 minutes" kind of suck.

Well, I couldn't get my mind off of it. Everyone with a long history of bad experiences fell in love with shaving!? Not possible... With summer coming, and the repeated pattern of growing a beard and cutting it off getting tiresome, I had to jump in and see what I was missing.

I live in NY, so I am lucky enough to have Pasteur's only a subway ride away. A EJ DE89, pack of derbys, pack of astras, pack of feathers, pack of 7 o'clocks, tub of TOBS cream, a puck of Haslinger soap, a starter brush, and bottle of witch hazel later I had an emptier wallet and a smile on my soon to be smooth face.

I learned as much as I could and took the prep seriously. I actually loved the process. I love creating the lather and taking the time to get everything right. Here's the problem/question. I have a pretty well-defined jaw line and adams apple. I have only been shaving WTG to start until my technique gets more consistent. But the hair around my adams apple and the bottom of my neck in general grow in LOTS of directions. So much so that its extremely difficult to shave WTG consistently, which leaves me with some pretty terrible razor burn in that area. The rest of my face is already leaps and bounds better than any other method I have tried... but that area is still terrible.

Other than stretching the skin and taking even more care during prep (right now I'm showering, washing, soaking, and leaving lather on for a few minutes before beginning with the blade), anyone have any advice? If I continue and make sure to always apply very little (read: NO) pressure, will that area slowly adjust? I feel like thats a question for the father, but hes always been an electric guy... too bad for him.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to a future full of fun with all of this.

Nick

Welcome to b&b. Unfortunately I can't give you a great answer since I'm new to the game also. But I have the exact same problem. My neck and jaw line grow in some crazy patterns. Thanks for asking the question and I'll also look forward to some experienced answers.

Welcome to B&B. I, too have a very defined jaw line and prominent Adam's apple. It can be challenging shaving in an area where the hair runs in multiple directions or swirls. It is likely not the answer you are looking for but I would suggest to continue to do what you are doing with good prep and NO pressure. Blade angle can also make a big difference as can the blade you use.

The EJ89 is a wonderful, non-aggressive razor. Everyone is different so I will not recommend a specific blade, but I will share, in my own experience, I have found Astras to be the most forgiving of those you listed above. I would also try to actually go WTG as best you can in the trouble spots- but I'm sure you are already doing this. I expect this will improve with time. I hope you find this helpful, and again, welcome to B&B.

Welcome! The Adam's apple is one of the trickier areas. Once you are a btt more experienced you may find that it either gets eetter on its own as you get more proficient, or that you feel ready to hit it with a few "advanced techniques" as Mantic puts it, like blade buffing or j hooking.

I have that same problem. it has been very difficult for me to get a close shave on my jawline and adams apple. it gets better (irritation wise) as you develop better technique. its still sometimes a bit tough for me to get a super smooth shave on my neck in places, even going ATG one pass, but i get no noticeable irritation now. I have been shaving since January with either a DE or a straight. keep at it and it WILL improve.

Welcome Aboard!

Hello Nick, and welcome. Have you taken the time out to map your face? I posted something about this previously (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/290742-Posting-my-learnings?highlight=) about my learnings around what is actually WTG or ATG on my neck. Huge difference when you get this correct.

However, for the Adam's apple- yeah, that's a problem. I pull the skin, work really slowly, no pressure, and hit if from different angles. Not real victory there to speak of, but it gets the job done

Jeff

Hey all, thanks for the replies!

I mapped out my face and I stretch my skin (just a little... maybe I could try more, but I don't want to overstretch). Mapping my face made a huge difference for all areas below the jawline, the jawline too for that matter. I never would have guessed some of the directions without taking the time to map. But, the adams apple area is tough, hair really grows in all directions. I'm sure everything is technique related, but I'm gonna take a look at articles and links you guys listed and see if I can speed things up! Thanks everyone.

Hello Nick, Welcome to B&B!

If I continue and make sure to always apply very little (read: NO) pressure, will that area slowly adjust?

That area won't adjust but your technique will. Just be patient, persevere and great DFS's will come your way.

Top Bottom