What's new

noob questions about shaving sticks

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Two of PAA's best soaps are in stick form, Diver Down and Atomic Age Bay Rum. Inexpensive way to try their soaps, too.

Edit: Also Future Fiction, but that one is two bundled smaller sticks.

AA

what are the derby shvaing sticks like?

ohhh yea and what about the taylor of bond street shaving sticks?

You were actually wet-shaving your head in your teens??? 😱 😱 😱
Nahh Ive been shaving my head because I loved the skinhead look and NOT because I was balding and losing hair lol 😂

But yea since I was about 17 I always been blessed to suit a bald head 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
One reason I enjoy shave sticks, is that I like loading up a little more soap with each pass. This is a slightly "cleaner" affair with a shave stick: you just apply a little more soap to your face with the stick, and face-leather to soap up the additional soap into the brush already loaded. (Yes, I like using lots of product, and thick creamy lather). This is certainly possible with a puck too, just a little cleaner with the stick -- it all takes place in "in your face", and I love to face lather..!!

My favourite sticks have changed a bit over the years -- it was the green Palmolive stick for a long time, not least because of the unique scent, which remains one of my all time favourite scents. La Toja is good too (has been mentioned already), and I would add Lea (have not seen anyone mention here yet -- contains lanolin, good stick).
But my two favourites that I almost use exclusively these days as far as stick as concerned, remain Arko and Tabac -- both are simply superb soaps, slick, thick lather ...!

I would add one more detail in this context, if you are a new to sticks: choice of brush matters too when you stick/face lather. Too big of a brush more easily screws you up, in the sense you can end up with a brush not sufficiently loaded, because you could not get enough soap rubbed onto your face (assuming you rub the stick right on your face). So choose a small brush. I usually go with 18, 20 or 22 mm knots, or if I use a bigger brush (e.g. 25 mm knot), I will first rub the stick on my face, and then rub the brush directly on the stick too real good before I even start face lathering, to ensure I have enough product. Then I add still more soap directly onto my face from the stick for the second pass as described above. I always like the third pass and cleanups with thinner more watery slick lather, so I don't add still more product for the third pass. If anything I add some cold water now to the brush instead. It is in part for this watery slickness that I think Arko especially is outstanding.

The Palmolive shave stick is one of my favourite soaps. To use, I remove enough of the foil to apply to my damp face then face lather.

I know the Palmolive sticks used to be available for 50p in Tesco, but I have read on the forum that they are no longer available or hard to find. They might be available in superdrug (I know they are available there in Dublin, but don't know about the UK).

Other sticks that punch above their price point are Wilkinson Sword (not the bowl), Arko and la toja. I bought a Lea stick last time I was in Portugal, but only used it three times as I forgot to pack it when checking out of the hotel.

what are the derby shvaing sticks like?

ohhh yea and what about the taylor of bond street shaving sticks?

I haven't tried Tobs yet. But I do have some Derby sticks.

Like Arko it's made in Turkey. It performs very similar to Arko. I've heard it mentioned that it's Arko's cousin. Has less lemon scent than Arko. Kind of like Arko if it had a slightly green scent though. It's a harder soap than Arko so I think you may get a few more shaves out of the stick than Arko. Performance wise they are pretty close. You can get a solid shave with either one. But I like Arko just a little better. Plus Arko is a little less $$ when you purchase a 12 count box. At least for me here in the U.S.

Reactions: saj
One reason I enjoy shave sticks, is that I like loading up a little more soap with each pass. This is a slightly "cleaner" affair with a shave stick: you just apply a little more soap to your face with the stick, and face-leather to soap up the additional soap into the brush already loaded. (Yes, I like using lots of product, and thick creamy lather). This is certainly possible with a puck too, just a little cleaner with the stick -- it all takes place in "in your face", and I love to face lather..!!

My favourite sticks have changed a bit over the years -- it was the green Palmolive stick for a long time, not least because of the unique scent, which remains one of my all time favourite scents. La Toja is good too (has been mentioned already), and I would add Lea (have not seen anyone mention here yet -- contains lanolin, good stick).
But my two favourites that I almost use exclusively these days as far as stick as concerned, remain Arko and Tabac -- both are simply superb soaps, slick, thick lather ...!

I would add one more detail in this context, if you are a new to sticks: choice of brush matters too when you stick/face lather. Too big of a brush more easily screws you up, in the sense you can end up with a brush not sufficiently loaded, because you could not get enough soap rubbed onto your face (assuming you rub the stick right on your face). So choose a small brush. I usually go with 18, 20 or 22 mm knots, or if I use a bigger brush (e.g. 25 mm knot), I will first rub the stick on my face, and then rub the brush directly on the stick too real good before I even start face lathering, to ensure I have enough product. Then I add still more soap directly onto my face from the stick for the second pass as described above. I always like the third pass and cleanups with thinner more watery slick lather, so I don't add still more product for the third pass. If anything I add some cold water now to the brush instead. It is in part for this watery slickness that I think Arko especially is outstanding.
Yea I think I've been learning recently that I also like to use a fair bit of soap/lather

The Palmolive shave stick is one of my favourite soaps. To use, I remove enough of the foil to apply to my damp face then face lather.

I know the Palmolive sticks used to be available for 50p in Tesco, but I have read on the forum that they are no longer available or hard to find. They might be available in superdrug (I know they are available there in Dublin, but don't know about the UK).

Other sticks that punch above their price point are Wilkinson Sword (not the bowl), Arko and la toja. I bought a Lea stick last time I was in Portugal, but only used it three times as I forgot to pack it when checking out of the hotel.
I didn't see any Palmolive sticks or Wilkinson sword sticks in asda, morrison's, boots and b & m

I haven't tried Tobs yet. But I do have some Derby sticks.

Like Arko it's made in Turkey. It performs very similar to Arko. I've heard it mentioned that it's Arko's cousin. Has less lemon scent than Arko. Kind of like Arko if it had a slightly green scent though. It's a harder soap than Arko so I think you may get a few more shaves out of the stick than Arko. Performance wise they are pretty close. You can get a solid shave with either one. But I like Arko just a little better. Plus Arko is a little less $$ when you purchase a 12 count box. At least for me here in the U.S.

Yea will have to try derby stick one day

When you say you like the Arko one a little more is it purely down to personal preference would you say?

Yea Arko seems hard to beat for value for money tbh, I know some people don't like the smell but it's fine for me to be honest

got some boots shaving sticks yesterday

1621091496444.jpg

also got the wilkinson sword tub only like £2 never tried it, any good? (the one like this pic below)

proxy.php

The Wilkinson Sword sticks are good, but the tub is kind of bad. You can always lather the soap from the tub over top of your stick so you can get some use from it.

Sir, my technique with shaving sticks is as follows:

1. Wet face, wet stick and rub the stick on the face until you see a thin white layer all over the shaving area.

2. Wet the brush and get rid of the eccess of water. Then load the brush from the stick until good lather starts to appear.

3. Apply the loaded brush to face, swirl and add little water, only when required.

It does work beautifully.

Interesting. When I started using sticks I found I was applying too much soap to my face and could never get it hydrated. Now I add it pretty sparingly and find it easier to get a good lather - needs less water.
You must be adding lots of water if you're double dipping with the soap?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Interesting. When I started using sticks I found I was applying too much soap to my face and could never get it hydrated. Now I add it pretty sparingly and find it easier to get a good lather - needs less water.
You must be adding lots of water if you're double dipping with the soap?

That's correct. And it confirms the Holy Law:

Lots of soap + lots of water + lots of swirls = Lots of thick, creamy, effective lather

The Wilkinson Sword sticks are good, but the tub is kind of bad. You can always lather the soap from the tub over top of your stick so you can get some use from it.
yea might as well use it and see how bad it is lol

good idea though thanks mate :)

Yea will have to try derby stick one day

When you say you like the Arko one a little more is it purely down to personal preference would you say?

Yea Arko seems hard to beat for value for money tbh, I know some people don't like the smell but it's fine for me to be honest

I like that Arko is a little softer soap. So it rubs onto my face a little quicker.

Arko was the first shave stick I've ever tried. Have had more shaves with Arko than any other shave sticks. So it probably is a personal preference for me.

But if you like Arko and are looking for something similiar, but slightly different. Derby stick is what I would recommend.

I like that Arko is a little softer soap. So it rubs onto my face a little quicker.

Arko was the first shave stick I've ever tried. Have had more shaves with Arko than any other shave sticks. So it probably is a personal preference for me.

But if you like Arko and are looking for something similiar, but slightly different. Derby stick is what I would recommend.
Yea might have to get some in the future 👍💯

also got the wilkinson sword tub only like £2 never tried it, any good? (the one like this pic below)

proxy.php
I got this (used to be in a blue tub) not long after going back to DE. I could shave with it, and used the whole tub. I wouldn't buy it again, but also wouldn't complain if given one. For me it's a lower tier soap, but usable if stuck or on a budget.

Once empty the container is handy for travel or using sticks like a puck.

I got this (used to be in a blue tub) not long after going back to DE. I could shave with it, and used the whole tub. I wouldn't buy it again, but also wouldn't complain if given one. For me it's a lower tier soap, but usable if stuck or on a budget.

Once empty the container is handy for travel or using sticks like a puck.
Yea that's the impression I get

Top Bottom